AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldar View Post
thanks!

I do already have the speakers. The Marantz AV8801 is less $ than the MX121 much less the MX151. Since McIntosh doesn't make a 4 or 8 channel amp, I think I've decided to use two MC205s (10 total channels) to drive the 8 total channels for the front high/wides and the surrounds I'll use the two left over channels from the MC205s for another pair of speakers in another room in the basement... Probably connect them to a Sonos for the bar

At any rate, you are correct about wiring for it. Ivan was kind enough to place the order for the spool of Luna 16/4 with Wireworld this morning! (Thanks again Ivan!)

- Howard
I look forward to hearing what you think when they are all up and running. Also would be nice for you to hear someone else's 11.1 set up and a high end 5.1 to compare the two....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
I have played with the 7.1 on my system and the movies etc that support it, I think it is a waste of $$$ and I prefer the 5.1 is enough, everything else 2 ch and subs is what it should be IMOP
+1
Sometimes less is more....
Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldar View Post
Agreed, but I don't have a wide enough front wall, so I'm going to widen the angle by moving them up.

I see the wides as a mirror image of the surround channels and have them placed accordingly. I think it works very well. More pics here (sorry about the mess of cables)

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/inde...s-home-system/

The Denon AVR4810 was recently replaced by the Marantz AV8801.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
I have played with the 7.1 on my system and the movies etc that support it, I think it is a waste of $$$ and I prefer the 5.1 is enough, everything else 2 ch and subs is what it should be IMOP
I have been playing with 7.1 and 9.1 and now 11.3 for a while now and I think that in a lot of movies, the rear surround channels in 7.1 do not usually create a huge impact. Some newer true 7.1 soundtracks have finally opened them up a fair bit but you should see more impact with the additional front channels (DSX/NeoX). NeoX in particular with Dredd and Expendables 2 is just quite spectacular.

Even with movies not originally designed for 11 channels expansion, like Transformers 2, the use of the wide channels can be incredibly immersive like in the forest IMAX fight sequence. When Megatron was circling round Sam, the sound pans seamlessly from the centre to the left, then left wide then left surround... really puts you right smack in the centre of the action.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post

I have been playing with 7.1 and 9.1 and now 11.3 for a while now and I think that in a lot of movies, the rear surround channels in 7.1 do not usually create a huge impact. Some newer true 7.1 soundtracks have finally opened them up a fair bit but you should see more impact with the additional front channels (DSX/NeoX). NeoX in particular with Dredd and Expendables 2 is just quite spectacular.

Even with movies not originally designed for 11 channels expansion, like Transformers 2, the use of the wide channels can be incredibly immersive like in the forest IMAX fight sequence. When Megatron was circling round Sam, the sound pans seamlessly from the centre to the left, then left wide then left surround... really puts you right smack in the centre of the action.
It sounds like it is awesome, I need to hurry up with my theater build!