AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Photography

Photography Digital & Film Buffs here

Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Fuji GFX50S MF digital prints

Spent the evening making some 16 X 20" prints from the Epson 3880 of my recent rental of the Fujifilm GFX50S medium format digital camera. Needless to say,photos don't really do justice to the prints, and these prints don't even begin to show what the camera is capable of, but regardless, it was really nice to see the images as a tangible print. If you look closely, you can see the foam core I used a back board (the off-white border); these photos of the prints were simply lit with overhead kitchen lighting. Really need to get a proper way to light prints for viewing. These were all printed on Epson Premium Lustre paper.

Pardon the reflection of the kitchen lights on the print substrate and the shadow on the San Jose City Hall #2 print.

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 PM

Absolutely gorgeous
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 10-25-2017, 11:51 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Stephen.......It is not just about the camera, printer, or paper. You have an eye that sees beyond the average person's view. It is a developed skill that you have honed to an art form. I always enjoy seeing your photographs. I believe we all appreciate you sharing with us.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-26-2017, 12:13 AM

While they look great, it is hard to truly appreciate pictures of pictures on a computer monitor at home Stephen but I trust what you are seeing in person is superb!

Your composition however is fantastic!
Old 10-26-2017, 12:22 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Stephen.......It is not just about the camera, printer, or paper. You have an eye that sees beyond the average person's view. It is a developed skill that you have honed to an art form. I always enjoy seeing your photographs. I believe we all appreciate you sharing with us.
Thank you, Dan.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:24 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
While they look great, it is hard to truly appreciate pictures of pictures on a computer monitor at home Stephen but I trust what you are seeing in person is superb!

Your composition however is fantastic!
Thanks, Serge. Yeah, there is no way that a small JPEG can do justice to a 16 X 20" print printed at 240 ppi on Epson Luster. Trying to light the prints with kitchen light was a b*tch, mix of tungsten and fluorescent; aggghh!

I took a few snaps today in the morning on the coffee table with natural window light and the photos look quite a bit more accurate to the white balance of the print. Ah, window light...worked for Vermeer!

I took these three B&W prints from the GFX printed by the Epson 3880 at 16 X 20” into the local camera store (Mike’s Camera in San Ramon), looking for a 17" X 22" print box (good luck with that!), where two of the guys that work there are serious, very experienced photographers (one of the guys used to shoot with an 8 X 10" view camera), and print their own work and are also Fuji shooters and know the GFX. They were, quite frankly, blown away by the quality of the prints. One of the guys said, “This is museum quality stuff”. The other guy said, "When I rob a bank, the first thing I am going to do is order a Fuji GFX". LOL.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-26-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:32 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtroo View Post
Absolutely gorgeous
Thanks, Tim!
Old 10-26-2017, 12:38 AM

That Epson 3880 must be one hell of a printer Stephen. They do almost look 3D to be honest. Of course the resolution is incredible.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:51 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That Epson 3880 must be one hell of a printer Stephen. They do almost look 3D to be honest. Of course the resolution is incredible.
Thanks, Serge. The 3D quality is also due in large part to the Fuji GFX medium format camera. The camera's dynamic range and "gradation of tonality" really make these prints "pop" in person, yet the prints look very natural, "analog", if you will!

Yes, the Epson 3800-series was the de facto standard for 16 X 20" fine art printing for the better part of a decade. Its actually not printed at the resolution it's capable of, which is 360 ppi. Many, many pros, fine art photography studios used it. It has been superceded about a year by ago by a new Epson printer, the P800, which has an improved inkset with a greater Dmax (degree of black density) than the 3880's inkset.

Blacker blacks...and you guys thought that "blacker blacks" was only confined to high-end audio!

The ironic thing is that its only when you start to print larger than 24 X 36" where you start to see medium format really strut it's stuff.

Not to get too technical here, but I used the Epson ABW (Advanced Black & White) print setting for these black and white prints rather than an ICC paper profile for the Epson paper; in other words, the printer driver took control of the printing rather than Lightroom. Epson's got it dialed for B&W printing w/o a trace of metamerism; okay, I may be getting too technical here, but you used to have to use a RIP (raster image processor, like ImagePrint) to get black and white like this using an inkjet printer. Epson solved that with the 3800-series.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-26-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Thanks, Serge. The 3D quality is also due in large part to the Fuji GFX medium format camera. The camera's dynamic range and "gradation of tonality" really make these prints "pop" in person, yet the prints look very natural, "analog", if you will!

Yes, the Epson 3800-series was the de facto standard for 16 X 20" fine art printing for the better part of a decade. Its actually not printed at the resolution it's capable of, which is 360 ppi. Many, many pros, fine art photography studios used it. It has been superceded about a year by ago by a new Epson printer, the P800, which has an improved inkset with a greater Dmax (degree of black density) than the 3880's inkset.

Blacker blacks...and you guys thought that "blacker blacks" was only confined to high-end audio!

The ironic thing is that its only when you start to print larger than 24 X 36" where you start to see medium format really strut it's stuff.

Not to get too technical here, but I used the Epson ABW (Advanced Black & White) print setting for these black and white prints rather than an ICC paper profile for the Epson paper; in other words, the printer driver took control of the printing rather than Lightroom. Epson's got it dialed for B&W printing w/o a trace of metamerism; okay, I may be getting too technical here, but you used to have to use a RIP (raster image processor, like ImagePrint) to get black and white like this using an inkjet printer. Epson solved that with the 3800-series.
Makes perfect sense! No, I got most of that.