AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 07-15-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
I really only desire one more amp in my collection: a 45 SET. I had one in the mid 90’s (a Rankin Buugle with Magnequest iron) and it is still my favorite amp within its limits. And as much as I like Dennis’ amps, I think the ideal complement to my PSE is a Yamamoto A08S. Since they are now pretty hard to find, I may have to ask Oliver to build me one. He has run out of his NOS parts (he really likes the Tamara outputs from old Japanese RTR machines) but I would love to hear a version with the small Noguchi Finement xfmrs).
There is an auction site seller building 45 amps with Tamura transformers. Search 45 amp Tamura. I had a Korneff 45 and 76 preamp that I foolishly sold.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
There is an auction site seller building 45 amps with Tamura transformers. Search 45 amp Tamura. I had a Korneff 45 and 76 preamp that I foolishly sold.
Just checked, that seller is 45 minutes away from me. If any of you guys decide to go that route, before you do, maybe I can run over there and give it a listen if the seller permits that. Lots of audio and ex-speaker manufacturer people around here in NorCal.

Last edited by decooney; 07-22-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Just checked, that seller is 45 minutes away from me. If any of you guys decide to go that route, before you do, maybe I can run over there and give it a listen if the seller permits that. My only direct reference for comparison might be my own Inspire Hot Rod stereo amp though, and some local guys who built custom 2A3 amps, along with another group big time into Audio Note amps with ridiculously expensive Western Electric 300B tubes - again for what that might be worth. Also, whatever speakers they have to demo with adds another variable. First time I've seen this offering, surprised I did not see it before. Lots of audio and ex-speaker manufacturer people around here in NorCal.
When you hear a good 45 amp you will be amazed. You'd never guess its 2 watts and the bass is excellent.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 07-15-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Just checked, that seller is 45 minutes away from me. If any of you guys decide to go that route, before you do, maybe I can run over there and give it a listen if the seller permits that. My only direct reference for comparison might be my own Inspire Hot Rod stereo amp though, and some local guys who built custom 2A3 amps, along with another group big time into Audio Note amps with ridiculously expensive Western Electric 300B tubes - again for what that might be worth. Also, whatever speakers they have to demo with adds another variable. First time I've seen this offering, surprised I did not see it before. Lots of audio and ex-speaker manufacturer people around here in NorCal.
I saw those too. Looks like a pretty standard Korneff type layout. The cheaper ones use the RTR Tamura’s and the larger one ($1,300) looks attractive with the Larger Tamura’s. The underhood parts are good but not the highest spec, and the buyer would need to invest in tubes and coupling caps.

My preference would be to ask Oliver to whittle me up a Yamamoto design with Noguchi Finemet 6W xfmrs. His old school work base and top plate layout is also my preference.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:41 PM

I think you guys have gotten a little off topic.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
I think you guys have gotten a little off topic.
I agree. Please accept my apologies.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:30 PM

45s, nice.

Last edited by decooney; 07-22-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:33 PM

removed.

Last edited by decooney; 07-22-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 PM

Was listening to music the other day and decided to pull out my old trusty Radio Shack analog SPL meter. I've owned it for at least 20 years. Set it for a FAST reading and placed it right where my head would be when listening. Music selected was Norah Jones, Bob Dylan, Mark Knopfler.

My avg decibel reading was 78 to 80db. This is slightly louder than I typically listen. Peaks were up to 90db. I didn't see any break 90, although I know the meter can't pick up instantaneous peaks.

Using this to calculate power, using 92db speakers at a distance of 6', I find that my average power used was 0.1 watt. A peak of 90db needed 1 watt. Perhaps there were micropeaks requiring 4 watts or so, but maybe not.

A big factor in this is my selection of music, no big dynamic swings in this type of music. Not at all like classical music. Also no strong, driving bass peaks, like what is found in rap. Peaks would have been much higher than the typical level.

I suspect there are many days where my amp's power output never goes above a watt. However when I use my "little" Inspire, the older EL84 model, which has a max output of around 4 watts, even at these volume levels I can hear the occasional deep bass clip. I don't think this is because I'm using a lot of watts but because that amp has so little output down around 30-35 Hz. The "big" Inspire with its 20w OTs has no such problem.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:17 PM

A few thoughts....

Enjoyed the listening session with Scott after enjoying lunch with his family. Hope to see him up in Asheville one of these days.

Enjoyed listening to all the different amps, including Scott's well burned in amp with the upgraded IIPS. However if I had to pick, I'd go with the new mono block PSE set up. I've heard a lot of Dennis' amps over the last decade, but the new MBs are not only "universal" in their own right, they have the extra something that comes with parallel output tubes.
I'm starting to run out of new words to describe the sound, but to me the word that fits best is BIG. The sound is just ginormous. Next time I head over, I'll bring the old stock Tung Sol 6550s that came in my Citation II for a listening session.

If I were to get a 45 amp from Dennis, I'd spend the extra $$$ and have him build me a set of 45 PSE mono blocks. Get the 45 sound with the extra dynamic range that comes from the second tube. Some may be skeptical, but I've built a 45 amp and a PSE 45 amp, and in my mind, there's no comparison.