AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 PM

Sent: February-21-11 7:20 PM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: BDP-1 BDA-1

Hello James,

Thank you so much for the advice on getting the BDP-1 and the BDA-1. Got it all hooked up this past weekend.

Wow! So this is the long overdue promise for digital music . What the hell am I to do with my nearly 2000 compact discs? I just received the Beatles on USB, and am loving it!

Happy listening from your old Ohio customer.

Regards,
Michael Stewart
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi Dan,

Yes I certainly do remember - in fact I owned a hi=fi store at the time Sony introduced the first CD Player Those were the days aye - Magnepan and Audio Reaserch and Dual and Ariston turntables etc. - Remember Time Window speakers and Sequerra ribbon tweeters?

The other issue I see is the declining quality of CD - man some of the recent stuff I have purchased is unlistenable

My hope is with downloadable high resolution digital files at least that concern goes away

Thanks for you comments - very informative indeeed.

james
James.......Yes indeed, those were the days. In 1980 I worked for Ford Montgomery at his Beaverton, Oregon store, Chelsea Audio. My very first taste of digital audio happened late that fall when a Sony district sales team provided our monthly sales "meet and greet" sessions that Ford would set up in the store early in the mornings. The Sony reps brought a 1" broadcast VHS tape machine and a Sony PCM-1 digital to analog converter, the very first D/A converter I ever saw. Well, actually, that was the very first D/A converter. We moved some McIntosh gear and M&K satellites and an M&K powered sub into the room. The Sony reps connected the VCR digital ouput to the PCM-1, and then analog from the PCM-1 to the Mac gear. After a short talk on digital audio, and the very first compact disc I ever saw or handled was past around the room for everyone to see, it was time for the audition.

As you know, in those days vinyl ruled, and Nakamichi cassette machines like the Dragon picked up the slack, so that was everyone's point of reference. When the Sony rep pressed the play button on the big VCR machine and digital signal began to flow through the PCM-1 to the McIntosh equipment and M&K's I was absolutely astonished. Dynamics were off the chart, signal to noise was lowered to zero noise floor. The music played was solo piano, piano, trumpet and drum arrangements, light rock with vocals, all recorded live straight through the PCM-1 to the digital master tape we were listening to. It was amazingly real sounding, and the absolute silence of the noise floor was overwhelming. That's the day I got the digital bug. It's hard to believe that was 31 years ago. I still remember everything about that day like it happened yesterday. I was floored.

Ford Montgomery brought many interesting people into the store for us to meet. I met and chatted with Bob Carver about his gear. I bought my very first 20' of 4TC brown and black Kimber Kable from Ray Kimber himself during a store demo when he first started his company. Ray even invited me to stop by his facilities in Ogden, Utah, which I did about a year later. The business was lots of fun in those days. I am truly glad that I have those memories. I feel certain you have a steamer trunk full of old memories, too.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 02-22-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Hi Dan,

Yes a 'steamer trunk' for sure and like you I can not believe how much time has past

I truly hope we can get a whole new generation of people to embrace music and quality audio with the passion we did in our day

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 02-22-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Sent: February-22-11 9:05 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: Re: RE: Customer Response

James,

Thanks for the reply, I was impressed that someone actually reads these.

I'm using a Window 7 64bit computer and a Windows Vista 32bit laptop to interface with the BDP1.

I did finally manage to get the firefox minion interface to work, a lot easier to create play lists and also activate the random button. After that the Bryston Max and Min work just fine for basic control functions. I just have to remind myself that this software was only designed to be an interface, which it does quite well.

I also downloaded a couple tracks from HDTracks and was very pleased with what I hear!

Anyhow, I was a little skeptical at first about buying this unit, but now I wonder how I lived without it.

Thanks for another great product!

Boris
Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Samsung Galaxy Tablet – Android OS

Feb 2011

Hi Folks,

Another device you can use to control the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player is the ‘Samsung Galaxy Tablet’ running the (2.2) Android operating system.

The BDP-1 works well using the ‘MPDroid’ music player interface. Looks like the standard Android music player except controls Linux MPD.

Log on to the internet and go to the 'MARKET' icon on the Galaxy Tablet desktop and download the 'MPDROID APP (it’s free) by searching 'MPD'

NOTE: - currently need to put the IP Address in HOST (not- bryston-bdp-1.local)

(The Tablet will also run the Bryston ‘MINI’ application and we recommend using the Android Zirco Browser (available free on Android Market Place. http://market.android.com/search?q=zirco.)

James Tanner
Bryston
Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 AM

From a very hi-end speaker manufacturer:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: March-03-11 4:06 AM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: AW: AW: bryston

Hi James,

I received the Bryston gear for our demo room and connected it. Wo do have our reference amps and speakers there right now, a decent 80 K€ chain which is very revealing and just does what one feeds it with. Playing HD tracks via the BDA/BDP combo is nothing but unbelievable real. There is almost no "digital" signature in it, very very close to a really good (and mostly in that case super expensive) vinyl setup, not to speak about the comfort.

There is no CD-player in this world I know of (and most of our clients do have CD reproduction equipmentup up to 120 grand, I mean really expensive and good stuff) that comes close to well recorded high resolution files reproduced by the BDA/BDP. I will discover it furthermore and will play also with other DAC's but I need to give the BDA-DAC a 100% recomendation, especially for its price.

For me it is a wonderful alternative to demonstrate my clients/dealers/importers this new music-on-harddisk-technology. And on a personal note - it is almost a miracle of one sees it in relation to the price.

Great job, compliments to your designer team and thank you for your nice and professional support!

with best regards from Germany,

Jörn Janczak
CEO
TIDAL Audio GmbH
Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Hi James

I can relate 100% to Jörn Janczak's views on the BDP1/BDA1 combo....This is really the best I've heard.

Once I have my own unit hooked up, and have settled into listening to 96kHz/24 bit audio, I would want to do a professional writeup on the overall performance of the unit, with specific reference to the digital technology, the BDP1's full potential, given its networking ability....I willl keep you posted.....perhaps you may want to use this on the Bryston website after you have perused it....

I have been searching the internet for views and reviews on the BDP1 and could not find much .....I found a picture of you and a brief review on the BDP1 on You Tube...see attached....but this was really an extract from the PDF file on the BDP1 from your website.....which I have read 20 times already.....I believe that the world of audiophiles need an objective and comprehensive review, independent of Bryston, on the sheer sonic excellence of such a fine piece of audio engineering.

Actually it goes beyond engineering, its lateral thinking out of the "CD" box, well done to you and your team!!

Kind regards
Kishan
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 PM

MEMO: BDP-1 INTERFACE
SUBJECT: MPad

March, 2011

Hi Folks,

There is a great new interface for the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player available.

On your iPad go to the APP Store and search for ‘MPaD’. Download the app to the iPad desktop – costs $2.99. MPaD Icon (green) will appear on your desktop.

Set-up:

1. Open the MPaD icon

2. Touch the gear shaped icon at the top of the page in the middle

3. Name - BDP-1

4. Server – Bryston-bdp-1.local

5. Port - 6600

It works great with the BDP-1 Digital Player

ENJOY!

James Tanner
Bryston

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 03-05-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Sent: March-13-11 11:07 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: Software update BPD 1

James

I have the wonderful BDP/BDA - 1 combo. Yes the BDP plays even better with the BDA than my dCS Paganini DAC :-)

Both is purchased at LYRIC HiFi - Oslo, Norway

NB: also very pleased with my 28B SST^2 Monoblocks, any upgrade suggestion for those ?? I use WW gold electra power cables wich increase dynamics and bass resolution :-)

Best regards,
Håkon Gjerde
NORWAY
Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Default Bryston BDP-1

I will bet that the Bryston BDP-1 will be voted as product of the year by a least one audiophile magazine! Watch and see. It is that good.