AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 06-13-2015, 11:15 AM

Thanks, James - it's a good thing your prices are so good. I have a BOT and BDA-3 already pre-ordered.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson View Post
Thanks, James - it's a good thing your prices are so good. I have a BOT and BDA-3 already pre-ordered.
Yes when the BDP-1 was originally designed it was a simple no fan or moving parts design with minimal functions required.

The market has demanded many more features so the new BDP2 has become quite a powerful product.

james
Old 06-13-2015, 11:22 AM

Thanks, I look forward to trying at some point.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:51 PM

Dear James,

After almost 24 hrs of power and more than half singing, I'm confident to report that, used with USB output, the new BDP2 performs in my system in another league than BDP1, in terms of dynamic contrasts, texture and detail. Congratulations!

Thank you,

Vlad

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 06-13-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:26 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDP-2 New Audio Device Report

June 2015

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player with New Soundcard

Hi James

Installed the new Bryston sound card.

Performance of the new card:

This is an essential upgrade to the BDP-2, especially for systems having high resolution. The new card simply seems to stay out of the way of the music. I was jotting down a few notes while listening and the first noticeable improvement is how much quite the back ground is, the noise floor has really been lowered (which I did not think possible after listening the first card).

The sound stage is huge, both in width and depth. There is greater delineation of fine musical details. Notes seem suspended on a cushion of air with the space between notes better delineated. Micro and macro dynamics are improved and impressive (likely due to the lowered noise floor). Very subtile fine details in music are clearly delineated with this card (no need to lean into the music, just sit back and lots of detail will unfold naturally). Pitch definition is improved, especially in the lower frequencies. There is improved extension, delineation, and definition of low frequencies.

All in all this is a card is a spectacular achievement and elevates the already fine performance of the BDP-2 to a new level. Highly recommended upgrade!

The new sound card renders music gloriously.

Ned F. Kuehn
Old 06-22-2015, 09:54 AM

Bryston BDP-2 soundcard upgrade Bryston Audio Device replacing Juli brought significant improvements in the sound - image density, lower noisefloor, good overall bandwidth reproduction including an excellent low frequency delineation, very stable dynamic swing that gives equally stable & palpable soundstaging!

Superb job by Bryston!!

Joseph Ki Cheong Ming
Old 06-23-2015, 07:16 PM

Hi James

I just installed the new card. The installation takes about an hour maybe less if you done it before. My biggest problem was not having 15 torx driver. Needed to take a trip to home depot. I spent more time taking my system apart and putting it back together than installing the card.

The card from the brief listening session get it. The bass wow. I didn't think the BDP-2 could get any better but it does. The high and subtleties just jump out at you. the background is darker. A+

I have yet to listen to the BOT with the new card but I only suspect it sounds significantly better than the BDC-1.

bjski

I have yet to listen to the BOT with the new card but I only suspect it sounds significantly better than the BDC-1.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 PM

Hi James.

Installed the new Bryston card and it is fantastic really.

Noise floor has droped, details are better and bass is fantastic. These findings are in my setup, so don't know if everybody will have the same change. I'm using AES/EBU.
This is so much better that you should rename the BDP-2 with the new card to BDP-2.1, as older reviews done using AES/EBU with the old card is outdated!

Great work!!!

Regards,
Stig
Old 07-07-2015, 10:23 PM

Agree,the new card takes the BDP-2 to another level. James, your products just keep on getting better.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:11 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Integrated Audio Device – Feedback

July 2015

Hi James

The Bryston Integrated Audio Card should be considered an essential upgrade.

My initial observations of the new card from a posting under the BDP-2 Thread were: "This is an essential upgrade to the BDP-2, especially for systems having high resolution.

The new card simply seems to stay out of the way of the music. I was jotting down a few notes while listening and the first noticeable improvement is how much quieter the background is, the noise floor has really been lowered (which I did not think possible after listening to the previous card). The sound stage is huge, both in width and depth. There is greater delineation of fine musical details. Notes seem suspended on a cushion of air with the space between notes better delineated. Micro and macro dynamics are improved and impressive (likely due to the lowered noise floor). Very subtle fine details in music are clearly delineated with this card (no need to lean into the music, just sit back and lots of detail will unfold naturally). Pitch definition is improved, especially in the lower frequencies. There is improved extension, delineation, and definition of low frequencies. All in all this new audio card is a spectacular achievement and elevates the already fine performance of the BDP-2 to a new level.

Highly recommended upgrade!"

...... Having spent more time listening, I feel the factor that is vastly improved with the new integrated audio card is the lowering of timing errors.

Timing errors will smear the sound causing a loss of focus and pitch definition. As I have been listening, I was struck by a similarity of the improved pitch definition of the new integrated audio card to my experience listening to a Meridian MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) lossless audio format technology demonstration. The Meridian MQA technology is impressive and one goal of this lossless audio format is to greatly reduce timing errors. One of the cuts demonstrated was Roberta Flack's Killing Me Softly With His Song. Without MQA, the kick drum has a bloated unfocused sound, but with MQA, the drum was focus with vastly improved pitch definition.

The same is now heard with this particular cut with the new Bryston Integrated Audio Card. The drum is taut, focused, with vastly improved pitch definition (176/24 file). Vocals now have an organic quality due to lack of smearing. Cymbals have a more natural sound (an instrument that was murdered when digital was introduced), but the reason was partially due to timing errors in the digital signals.

I consider the new integrated audio card a crowning achievement for Bryston's engineering team. Once heard, there will be no turning back!

Ned F. Kuehn