AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 07-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Default Interesting 'net epic starring Michael Fremer)

Last edited by b3n; 02-15-2022 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:52 PM

I really do not like Fremer but I read his response on Gizmodo several weeks ago and he made several good points.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Last edited by b3n; 02-15-2022 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Rebellious!

Default Updated thoughts.

EDIT: Oops I thought it was refering to these posts

http://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-nei...ing-1678446860

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...ting-them-here

I've read both articles and have followed this thread since the beginning. Today, I re-read all of this. These are my thoughts.

Mario and Michael both present their respective side to the story of high bitrate digital music.

What is not addressed is, "What makes any (digital or analog) recording sound 'good?'"
  • Michael Fremer does point to Dr. Mark Waldrep of AIX Records as an authority on "High Resolution" digital audio. Moreover, I urge you to read Mark's blog postings, Dr. AIX’s POSTS | Real HD-Audio.
  • Mario addresses, in my words, that most music that has not been produced to the "quality" level (not resolution) that Mark and Michael are referring to (and I think Mario has a point).

I still remain we should be after the version or versions (of a master audio file*) that we enjoy the most. The version may be on LP, recorded at Double DSD or even found on any streaming service. This forum, I believe, is dedicated to sniffing out those trophy recordings. I can't thank the members here enough for helping me and steering me to the right recordings of my favorite artists. In the days after the record store clerk, we have those of us who are the mavens or connoisseurs to fill that gap.

*Audio mastering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, :There are masters for LP and CD, and they are different. There are even versions mastered for iTunes https://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 04-23-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: oops
Old 04-23-2015, 01:58 PM

I hated Fremer when I first read his stuff and learned about his little spats with other audiophiles, years ago. However after meeting him and reading his stuff over time, I actually warmed up to him. He's a pretty nice guy in person!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Rebellious!

I have not met him, but he's a great comedian. I enjoy just about everything he says, https://www.youtube.com/user/21stCenturyVinyl and writes on Analog Planet.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Merry Christmas to all

b3n.......Thanks for posting the three links. They were fun reads. Personally, I think Michael Fremer tore Rob Beschizza and his faithful minions a new one. The blind jealousy of the blog posters was so transparent. The hateful attitudes were rampant toward an individual who has become successful and well paid doing what he loves best. The responses were exactly what I expected from introverted keyboard generals who aren't happy until they've dragged everyone and everything down to their level.

Michael Fremer's response was classic and poignant. He made several good points in his response which will no doubt elude the blogger group as a whole. I still remain faithful to one idea. The only person my sound system has to impress is me.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Go Dawgs

I personally love M. Fremer.....I think he's a really good writer and let's face it, SOMEONE needs to show a passion for this hobby, because it's not going to be anyone in the mainstream. Sure he gets fired up sometimes, but IMO, good for him. My favorite was when he wrote a piece after Dr. Bose passed away, it was fairly scathing....(about Dr. Bose and the way the company litigated and came after reviewers who didn't rave about their products) especially after someone dies, but it was the truth. He calls it like it is and I appreciate it.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 04-24-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Well then, please, if you have a water filter on your faucet to remove heavy metals and other pollutants from your drinking water, remove it because it's idiotic to think the water could move from the reservoir to the treatment facility, through all the old pipes through the water main, into your home and that last little filter could do anything.
That's a smart way to see it !

It was a fun read and I'm always amazed at the anger people have with Audiophile. A few brands have tarnished the reputation with false claims or snake oil products but why throw everyone under the bus ? We should look out for scams or products that are not of sufficient quality.

It's my money and I do what damn pleases me with it. If I want to buy what you believe is overpriced crap, I will do it and I don't care what you think. We're not ignorant fools and we're not certainly not naive or we would all be rich with money from Nigerian princes.

I have met some of the smartest and most successful people here. We are all sharing the same love for music and finding the best way to reproduce it. Take a look a the most successful thread here: what you listening and the variant (jazz, classical,...) and you can see that we love music and we have extended music collections. I'm a small fish and I have over a 1000 records. I've listened to over 95% of them and more than once.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
I have not met him, but he's a great comedian. I enjoy just about everything he says, https://www.youtube.com/user/21stCenturyVinyl and writes on Analog Planet.
That was an expensive visit (re Analog Planet). I've seen that there is a limited vinyl boxset for Oscar Peterson and I had to buy it