AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-14-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Does your vintage gear see play time regularly? It’s better to use the gear and keep the caps formed than it sitting unplugged of course.

If one looks at the schematics of vintage gear vs new, one will quickly realize the sheer amount of components is quite different. Good luck with getting all the caps replaced on modern gear in the future, I can’t imagine it would be cost efficient or feasible. It is what it is, buy, enjoy, don’t sweat it.
All my equipment is in regular use which I agree is significantly better than setting unused. For the most part, the only issues I've had with my amplifiers were electromechanical in nature ie, relays and such.

Apart of an output transistor failure in an MC2505 (c. 1974), none of my amplifiers really had any signal-related problems.

Because of McIntosh's well known longevity and value retention (especially new replacement cost), it's usually well worth the cost of servicing/restoration in most cases.

Last edited by 62caddy; 10-14-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Serge you have to stop by, between the addition of the D1100 and Strads. the 501’s never sounded better definitely not a weak link . Love the Strads with these amps
Yes, it's been a while my friend! Never said your 501's may be a weak link. Just participating in the thread since you asked about cap life.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
All my equipment is in regular use which I agree is significantly better than setting unused. For the most part, the only issues I've had with my amplifiers were electromechanical in nature ie, relays and such.

Apart of an output transistor failure in an MC2505 (c. 1974), none of my amplifiers really had any signal-related problems.

Because of McIntosh's well known longevity and value retention (especially new replacement cost), it's usually well worth the cost of servicing/restoration in most cases.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I run a recycling service for old amps, any Mc amps 10 years or older, please contact me and I will send you my shipping address for proper electronics recycling.
I run a recycling program for models newer than 10 years old, please contact me for the proper shipping address.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 10-27-2018, 08:43 AM

My little 2505 is going to be 50 soon, Except for cleaning of controls, replacing lamps once, and polishing connectors its never been touched. It still exceeds specs. I guess I am lucky. All it does is drive electrostatic head phones now days. and Sennheiser from the front jack. I still prefer the meter action of the 2505 over the wider range meters of my 207's and 206 amps and other newer Mac amps. The switch pretty much stays on the - 10db position. Davie took the bottom off in 1990 for a look see and a touch up, but nothing was replaced. I hope my 207's and I last half that long toward the future.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:59 PM

I have a MC2505, four MC2255s, two MC7270s, and two MC2500s, all of which are still running well.
I believe these are all between 20 and 40 years old.
Yes, they have been the shop on occasion, but longevity is a hallmark of McIntosh.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-29-2018, 01:13 PM

I have a friend with an MC 2105 that needs re-capping. He is tech and will install himself. What is current "party line" regarding good sources for new caps? He needs original quality or better, then a fair price as secondary after that.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Does your vintage gear see play time regularly? It’s better to use the gear and keep the caps formed than it sitting unplugged of course.

If one looks at the schematics of vintage gear vs new, one will quickly realize the sheer amount of components is quite different. Good luck with getting all the caps replaced on modern gear in the future, I can’t imagine it would be cost efficient or feasible. It is what it is, buy, enjoy, don’t sweat it.
Yes - all used regularly more or less. Agreed on the hazards of electronics setting unused for prolonged periods of time, especially when capacitors are involved.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:01 AM

I use mine all the time and even turn them up quite loud for hours at a time. Never had a problem. At one point I hadn't turned my 2205 off in over 2 years. It would be playing off my server 24/7. I can't say if it is still up to factory specks, but I can say that I think it sounds great and although I am considering sending it in at some point almost 50 years after it was made, It probably won't need much.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Semi-audiophile

MY 501s are 8 years old and have had nothing more than an occasional dusting. Still sound good. The only thing I'm concerned about with them is what happens when I can no longer manage them physically; the suckers are heavy.

My speakers, on the other hand, are closing in on 26 years old and still sound great, also nothing more than an occasional dusting, plus tightening the binding posts now and then.

Take care of your stuff and it lasts.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks