AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 04-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Default Magnepan Tympani 1D, worth the time?

I am thinking of a pair of Tympani 1D but wonder if they are worth the time.
It has been many years since I have heard them and technology has changed.
The pair is in need of repair but I understand that a total rebuild for all panels including new cloth is around $1100. Think I can buy them pretty reasonable and they are in the original cartons.
What are your thoughts?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Against the Tide

Only if you will keep them...

Speaker differences

MUG : Magnepan Users Group
Old 04-23-2010, 08:28 PM

I agree with Klipschfan...

But they are cool speakers, really enjoyed mine back in the early 80s...
Old 04-25-2010, 12:50 PM

They reproduce sound in a special way. It sounds different. Excellent for anything that requires fast response such as bluegrass. One of the best for female vocals. They do so many things well I have to keep a pair of Magneplanars on hand. There are three pair in the house at the moment. They do require power but can benefit from bi- and tri-amping. Jim has put his MG-IIIa speakers into wooden frames to replace the MDF and has gotten everything and more out of them. Well worth it in my opinion, but then I'm using my ears to listen to what I like. YMMV

Last edited by Mark J; 04-25-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:42 AM

The answer to Magnepan problems is a pair of MC1.2KW's....

Best Magnepan amps I've heard!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:55 AM

I have a 24 year old pair of Magnepan MGIIIA's which were sitting in storage for years . The adhesive had weakened to the point that the coils started to detach from the mylar film on the ends which resulted in a loud vibration when the volume was increased. I found the method of using DAP glue ($3) at home depot. I removed the cloth sock, using the DAP glue and a brick to hold the coils to the mylar film the uncurling problem was fixed. I purchased new covers from Magnepan for around $50 and now I have speakers which sound and look like they did when they were brand new. If you think the speakers are worth a few hours of your time and less than $60 in materials then I say fix them.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Default Tympani IVa

Actually the Tympani of choice is the IVa with the Ribbon Tweeter. One of the earlier models used a Push-Pull tweeter, the Tympani III I believe. If I was going to refurbish a pair it would be the Tympani IVa. My IIIa's actively Tri-amped with wood frames are incredible, I can only imagine what a Tri-amped set of IVa's would sound like!

Regards,
Jim
Old 05-02-2010, 04:26 PM

I do have a pair of MC1.2's I could try. I just wondered if the technology of the newer Maggies was a huge improvement or not.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
Actually the Tympani of choice is the IVa with the Ribbon Tweeter. One of the earlier models used a Push-Pull tweeter, the Tympani III I believe. If I was going to refurbish a pair it would be the Tympani IVa. My IIIa's actively Tri-amped with wood frames are incredible, I can only imagine what a Tri-amped set of IVa's would sound like!

Regards,
Jim
I had a bi-amped pair of Tympani IVa's and kept them for several years - wonderful speakers but they did present a formidable presence at the front of the room - My wife finally asked me if I wouldn't like a slightly smaller speaker just as well.

I didn't like the replacements "just as well", but I did change - to a pair of four box Genesis 200's - even bigger but a bit more conventional looking, and more in keeping with my wife's decorative efforts.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 05-07-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioi View Post
I do have a pair of MC1.2's I could try. I just wondered if the technology of the newer Maggies was a huge improvement or not.
What I read about the new Magnepan MG 1.7 speakers indicates that they not only use new technology, but they may be the best sounding Maggies yet - and a true bargain to boot. I think I'll try to get a pair when they become available.

Jonathan Valin surely thinks they are superb.

Magnepan MG 1.7: Unqualified Triumph | AVguide

It sounds like this one will be a real winner.

Julian

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .