AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-16-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
If I could personally listen to every ARC product in my house with my speakers and set up by a professional, I'd be happy. But like for most of us, that is totally infeasible. This is why I listen to others experience, read reviews, study specs and listen to recommendations from ARC. I try to narrow the list down to the rare components that have a strong chance of my preferring over what I have. So if ARC themselves don't say to me, we think this component is better, it's not a good enough bet to bring it home. If I can hear it at a show or dealer side by side with what I currently own, that would help

Speaking of which, ARC demoed the GS150 at a Paradigm dealer event along with Wilson and others. Can anyone report?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
ariess..understood and I get that not everyone can get gear to demo in their system (let alone at a local dealer if one exists). Fair enough. But I do think many of you are hanging on every word that ARC makes. Remember they are in business to sell equipment. What we should all be in agreement with here is that ARC has done a crappy job on launching and explaining this product within the hierarchy of their line up. Before ARC's acquisition by Fine Sounds this would have been very unlikely but it sounds like there may be too many chefs in the kitchen and as Howie has mentioned of other company examples, sounds like the right arm does not know what the left is doing. They have done themselves a disservice by talking out of both sides of their mouth. They need to come out with a unified statement on the Galileo series and where it fits in the line up in comparison to the Reference line.

Last edited by cmalak; 11-16-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:20 PM

Audiophile nonsense is redundant.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:30 PM

Maybe I am getting jaded, but I have been watching this launch and all the changes with ARC the past couple of years and the only things I am taking away from this is that ARC has been purchased internally again with Charlie Rangle very involved, they saw a major opportunity in the Asian markets that is simply not very penetrated by them previously, took the opportunity of Tung Sol's new KT-150 and designed something to fit that market that is hungry for high end American HiFi that is much prettier (matter of opinion) than their typically classic lab gear look. Again, maybe I am being too negative, but I see this as nothing more than a market grab. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but the fact that they have left so much ambiguity to this is pretty ridiculous. Then again, even bad press is good press right? We are all talking about ARC and not another competitor for the time being.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
Maybe I am getting jaded, but I have been watching this launch and all the changes with ARC the past couple of years and the only things I am taking away from this is that ARC has been purchased internally again with Charlie Rangle very involved, they saw a major opportunity in the Asian markets that is simply not very penetrated by them previously, took the opportunity of Tung Sol's new KT-150 and designed something to fit that market that is hungry for high end American HiFi that is much prettier (matter of opinion) than their typically classic lab gear look. Again, maybe I am being too negative, but I see this as nothing more than a market grab. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but the fact that they have left so much ambiguity to this is pretty ridiculous. Then again, even bad press is good press right? We are all talking about ARC and not another competitor for the time being.
What is it with this urban myth that has now taken on a life of its own? So Livio's pals will look at something and say "hey Livio, stop, that is too good looking for those American slobs, make it uglier".

What are we Americans obsessed with crappy and industrial looking garbage? The uglier the better. I mean I wouldn't want to have a good looking piece of gear in my house when I could have something that looks like crap; am I wrong? Why would I buy a D'Agostino it looks too beautiful, those are reserved only for those "sophisticated Asians with good taste". I was thinking of getting a nice looking car but decided, why? I am an American, I need to find something really hideous as the good looking stuff is meant for the "Asian Market"
Old 11-17-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
What is it with this urban myth that has now taken on a life of its own? So Livio's pals will look at something and say "hey Livio, stop, that is too good looking for those American slobs, make it uglier".

What are we Americans obsessed with crappy and industrial looking garbage? The uglier the better. I mean I wouldn't want to have a good looking piece of gear in my house when I could have something that looks like crap; am I wrong? Why would I buy a D'Agostino it looks too beautiful, those are reserved only for those "sophisticated Asians with good taste". I was thinking of getting a nice looking car but decided, why? I am an American, I need to find something really hideous as the good looking stuff is meant for the "Asian Market"
I have to agree with you here.

There is a lot of great sounding gear that is too ugly to own.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post

Its True I am sure at Audio research they are saying screw the Americans make it uglier, throw on the crappy face plates, no metal knobs use the Walmart plastic ones Americans dont like quality save it for the Asian market!!
LOL
Old 11-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I have to agree with you here.

There is a lot of great sounding gear that is too ugly to own.
I agree with you. As I believe looks is part of the audio experience; if I do not like the look it will not make it in my system no matter how good it sounds.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 AM

ARC gear is not ugly by any stretch. It looks fine in its rack in my living room. But ARC gear does not look "rich" like Burmester, D'Agostino, Rowland and many others. I am not against bling, but part of the beauty of ARC has historically been its utilitarian but not unattractive looks at a fair price. You pay extra for bling. I'm not against that per se. But you do pay extra for it. That's a fact.
How many would pay $6,000 extra for a GS 150 over a Ref 150 if the circuit and parts were identical? Also, the GS 150 still looks closer to ARC with an Italian flare than bling. If you are going to charge me 6k more than a Ref 150, then show me a 6k chassis not a chassis that looks like it costs an extra $1,000.00
Just my initial thoughts. I reserve my right to reverse myself if I am impressed when I see the GS 150 in the flesh or if it sounds better than my ref 150.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 11-18-2014, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
ARC gear is not ugly by any stretch. It looks fine in its rack in my living room. But ARC gear does not look "rich" like Burmester, D'Agostino, Rowland and many others. I am not against bling, but part of the beauty of ARC has historically been its utilitarian but not unattractive looks at a fair price. You pay extra for bling. I'm not against that per se. But you do pay extra for it. That's a fact.
How many would pay $6,000 extra for a GS 150 over a Ref 150 if the circuit and parts were identical? Also, the GS 150 still looks closer to ARC with an Italian flare than bling. If you are going to charge me 6k more than a Ref 150, then show me a 6k chassis not a chassis that looks like it costs an extra $1,000.00
Just my initial thoughts. I reserve my right to reverse myself if I am impressed when I see the GS 150 in the flesh or if it sounds better than my ref 150.
I agree with your comments. If the GS 150 and Ref 150 had the same parts I would not pay a penny more for the GS 150. As a matter of fact I would not take the GS 150 if it could be bought for less than the Ref 150. If I want to see the look of the G series stuff I could probably find something in my kitchen that matches. I personally do not like the look of the new G series components. Maybe they will grow on me when seen in person but right now I am not feeling any love.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:39 AM

I heard the G series a couple of weeks ago on sasha 2s. Best I ever heard the sashas sound. I really like the looks of original and g series - all good to me