AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-29-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardave View Post
My Ref75 switch feels very crisp, secure, solid, and reliable. Exactly the same as on my previous Ref150. Never had any problem with switches on ARC gear.
I agree with Priaptor that the switch seems a bit cheap, but then again, I use the trigger wire with my preamp, and I have never touched the switch! Maybe once I guess
Old 12-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Then the unit I tried must have a bad selector. Because it felt very unusual. I will tell the manager to have it verified.
But compared to Mark Levinson, Burmester and Accuphase, what I felt with that GS150's knob felt like something from Radio Shack part bin.
But this is just for meters operation only, not related to sound quality, be adviced.
Toga
As an prior owner of Levinson, build quality was top notch, SQ quite another story, which IMHO couldn't come close to the idiotic decision I made getting rid of my Spectral equipment, still one of the best bargains in the audiophile world if you like SS.

Same with Burmeister, which I never owned but demoed for a long period of time. Build quality tops, SQ can't compete with the best out there, not even the Constellation Centaur which I owned and didn't like.

Accuphase I have no experience.

However, from a build and looks perspective and I have never owned or demoed one, the D'Agostino looks amazing and from those who do own one of the units the reports I have gotten is that ergonomically, they are awesome.

As a prior owner of the McIntosh MC2301 monoblocs the quality and feel of the movement of the dials of the GS150 is reminiscent of that, which wouldn't surprise me given Fine Sounds owning both.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I agree with Priaptor that the switch seems a bit cheap, but then again, I use the trigger wire with my preamp, and I have never touched the switch! Maybe once I guess
Yes and I was just commenting on a relative basis. In fact when you turn on the REF75, the amp turns on before the switch "clicks" into the on position.

No biggie. It always worked and unlike my REF250s which had an issue where I had to send it back, the REF75 has been a solid performer.

I was, in reference to the other fellow refuting claims about "cheapness" of look and feel of the knobs on the GS150.

Net bottom line, I would rather have no switches, no meters and for the most part since I listen predominately at night with the lights off, I don't see my gear anyway.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:38 PM

From what I saw GS150, we shall not open the tube cage just like we do with Mc275 right ? because fans are attached to the cage, or it doesn't need fan in case of open top ?

Regarding the feel of knobs, I think it was from a bad part (poor QC) rather than poor quality overall, because the left one that control left meter, felt different from the right one. Tried slowly rotate it from full-left to full-right and I felt that from V1 to V2 it was almost stuck, V2 to V3 was easy and V3 to V4 was almost no load to my hand. To be fair, the source selectors on Levinson 3236s, Burmester 077, any current Accuphase are
all use artificial feel, we do not really move any electrical contact, so that expensive feel is a designed in. And again I believe that the GS150 in showroom was probably one from very first batch of production, or could even be some kind of prototype meant for dealer demo duty only, it won't sell with that kind of cheapness feels. it was on a static display. Don't forget I went to see it because I like it, I wanted t have it, so no reason for me to discredit it other than some disappointment.

Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 12-29-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:10 AM

Priaptor, If I may inquire of your GS150, how many hours do you have on the clock? Together with any impressions that you may have thus far, in respect to 'break in' time on the amplifier.

For my part I have listened to the same GS150 at 60 hours, then with 166 hours on the clock, and whilst there were signs of an opening up in the midrange, I felt the amplifier to to be rather 'Tight', and still a Tad constrained in some areas of tonality, texture and harmonics, particularly on acoustic strings.

Whilst considering comment made thus far in respect of the KT150, I was expecting to be impressed with the lower registers, even at this point in what can be something of a roller coaster ride where break in of ARC is concerned, however this particular GS is still quite some way off, in reproducing the gravitas evident in for example, Der Ring des Nibelungen, as imparted by my Ref150 even at 300 hours on the clock.

However! Even at this early juncture, It is in the upper mid-range, ascending, where the GS has ,for me, impressed the most. The retrieval of filagre micro detail is quite excellent, the GS seeming to impart additional 'air' and light with an effortless extension to the very upper registers. Smooth, clean and accurate, whilst remaining quite organic and utterly convincing in nature.

Jasper.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:45 PM

No ? Must have been one hell of a deal !!!

Another run out sees the clock just ticking over the century mark, midrange opening up a smidgen! Vocal inflections? *particularly*impressive, even in comparison with my 100K hours Ref 150/ KT120. Soundstage ? although having expanded outwards a tad from the frontal plain of the Martin Logan CLX's in comparison at 60 hours, and has as yet to form the virtually surround sound, projected, 3D soundstage that I can achieve with my Ref 150, particularly on the 16 Ohm tap.

Imaging and seperation? Already most impressive.

Returning to vocalisation, even at this point there is a niggling perception that the nuances of diction are being elevated beyond a point previously considered as quite excellent within the sphere of quality KT120 amplification.
A most compelling and pertinent question yet remains! just how close is a Ref150/KT150
to the GS150? Particularly were one to be an oddball like myself, who utilises the 16 Ohm tap, phased out on the later GS Amplifier.

For anyone interested, more anon.

Jasper.

Last edited by Harlequin; 12-30-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Hello Priaptor,

comparing the sound quality and build quality of Burmester with Audio Research is no chance. With all respect for Audio Research but It seems a toy compared with a german tank alike Burmester that surely is in a superior planet in all regards and I talk because I know very well the sound of both brands. Recently in Hong Kong I listened for two days (each listening session for about 6 hours) Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF drived by Audio Research 250 monos, reference audio research preamp, digital source msb analoque and transparent cable. I've still pain in my ears due to unbalanced sound; all the energy was concentrated in the mid-high spectrum range with uncontrolled bass frequency region; the timbre was colored and not natural. Being I listened in other occasions the XLF's with other power amps (D'Agostino monos, Constellation and Boulder) the sound was really impressive even I prefer other speakers.
The sound of Audio Research 75 is musically much better than 250's. IMHO.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
Hello Priaptor,

comparing the sound quality and build quality of Burmester with Audio Research is no chance. With all respect for Audio Research but It seems a toy compared with a german tank alike Burmester that surely is in a superior planet in all regards and I talk because I know very well the sound of both brands. Recently in Hong Kong I listened for two days (each listening session for about 6 hours) Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF drived by Audio Research 250 monos, reference audio research preamp, digital source msb analoque and transparent cable. I've still pain in my ears due to unbalanced sound; all the energy was concentrated in the mid-high spectrum range with uncontrolled bass frequency region; the timbre was colored and not natural. Being I listened in other occasions the XLF's with other power amps (D'Agostino monos, Constellation and Boulder) the sound was really impressive even I prefer other speakers.
The sound of Audio Research 75 is musically much better than 250's. IMHO.
Here we go again...Colored and unnatural timbre?! Unbalanced sound? Pain in the ears due to Ref250? Those just make me smile.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number95 View Post
Here we go again...Colored and unnatural timbre?! Unbalanced sound? Pain in the ears due to Ref250? Those just make me smile.

I was really happy with big smile when I listened a couple of hours later an "All Gryphon System" with the fantastic Mephisto driving the Trident II with a delicacy and an overall outstanding sound. Goosebumps!!
Old 01-01-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
I was really happy with big smile when I listened a couple of hours later an "All Gryphon System" with the fantastic Mephisto driving the Trident II with a delicacy and an overall outstanding sound. Goosebumps!!
I also auditoned all Gryphon gear including Mephisto stereo amp with Magico M5 recently right after Constellation. Sorry but it is not for me. If (a big if) I ever intend to switch to SS amps I better go with Constellation without a doubt between those two. But I would never call any of these serious brand amps as unbalanced, unnatural etc rather different in terms of defining musical preferences. When I read your ambitious comments, either you are biased against the brand under this topic or you have not seriously auditoned a serious ARC setup. I hope you share your current audio setup with us to get better understanding of your high standards as you call ARC as a toy.