AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 08-10-2011, 01:02 PM

Default Another "I am could cry...so happy" story

I have to admit it has been a little unnerving for me thinking about how I would react the first time I fired up my new Monbrison/Montille combo after all the build up on how good it would sound before I even received it.

What if I didn't like it? What if it was a step backwards or in the wrong direction from where I already was? That would've been seriously disappointing and disheartening, but from the title of this post I'm assuming you can guess the outcome...

WOW! I didn't want to pass judgement till I heard it for myself but can officially drink the Kool Aid now...Now I understand why there is such conviction for the work that Shindo-san does.

I've been haphazardly putting systems together trying to "balance in" the good things and "balance out" the bad things but could never quite get what I was looking for and my house was turning into an Audio Bazaar as gear moved in and out at a rapid pace. I even tried once to build a synergistic system with all components of another single brand but was left with a system that seemed to sound the worst of them all (too lean, too dry, too analytical, too hifi-ish, etc.).

Finally with this combo I am listening to music and not just hearing background sound with my laptop on my lap reading about what pieces of gear to consider next. I finally feel I've landed in the right spot and can stop the madness...Did I say "finally" enough!!

Seriously though I'd like to thank all the wonderful folks on AA, specifically Alberto, for talking me through this next step and helping me find my bearings here. This is a great community and really the first that I've actually spent a good amount of time on with regard to participation.

I'd also like to thank Matt at Pitch Perfect Audio for working with me to find a setup that would work for my space and existing gear. Without hesitation I would recommend to anyone considering Shindo (or any other lines that PPA carries) to contact Matt, I guarantee that you'll be in good hands.

I'll try and post some pictures soon...but i can't guarantee that my butt won't be stationary in the listening position most of the next few nights.

Now if only someone would buy my Bel Canto REF500M amps so I can buy more gear!!!

Wishlist: Shindo Mr. T, Shindo/A23 Cables, DAC, Vinyl Rig...Donations Welcomed

Last edited by adhesiv; 08-10-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Congrats on the switch over.

And from the 500M's to tubes, talk about drastic!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all

adhesiv.......Great testimony to finding audio bliss. I am happy for you. There are many fine folks hear at Audio Aficionado who are more than willing to offer excellent help when needed, and Alberto is at the top of list. Good to know Matt at Pitch Perfect Audio came through with a combination of components that glued that smile on your face. Congratulations.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM

More on the Shindo/Sonus Faber impression please! How are the 15W driving your Cremona?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:01 PM

Jayson, happy to hear that you are having so much fun listening to your new Shindo system! I only have one negative thing to say about mine, it takes up all my free time and even cuts in to my work time...

I'm seriously thinking of putting an office table in my listening room so I can get some work done!
Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Vesuvius...Thanks...I've bounced all over the place with regard to class design...

1. Class AB Hybrid (Counterpoint)
2. Class T SS (Bel Canto Tripath)
3. Class A SS (Ayre)
4. Class D SS (Bel Canto ICE)
5. Class A Tube (Shindo)

By far #5 has been the most musical...

Dan...Ain't that the truth, Alberto is an exceptional individual and Matt an exceptional connoisseur for equipment procurement (aka dealer ).

Tommy...I've had no problem driving the Cremonas at all...At full gain on the amp, normal listening levels with good control can be achieved at only 20% gain on the preamp volume control. I still need more time to dial it all in but as far as power I feel like the Shindo combo is giving me as much if not more than the Bel Canto REF500M's...15W vs 250W (@ 8 ohm)...scratching head...

Serge...I may mysteriously go missing for the next few days...I'm just saying
Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Congrats on the Shindo purchases. You have a very nice foundation to expand on. I'd recommend a modest investment in a vinyl rig next to see if you want to take a step in that direction. When I got back into vinyl a few years ago even a modest vinyl set-up clearly outperformed my digital gear. In the meantime enjoy the music with your Shindo combo.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 08-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Thanks Sibelius...Maybe we'll run into each other sometime at Matt's seeing how we're both out here in Sunny California. I really want to hear the VR some time. I feel like that's a long term goal piece for me.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
Thanks Sibelius...Maybe we'll run into each other sometime at Matt's seeing how we're both out here in Sunny California. I really want to hear the VR some time. I feel like that's a long term goal piece for me.
If you ever come up north let me know. I'd be happy to have you over for a listen. I do love my VR. As I've said on another forum, If my place was on fire and I could only take one piece of gear it would without question be the VR.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 08-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Many congrats Jayson,

You have the key there to some brilliant music making experience sitting in your system now... am sure you are enjoying it to the max... look forward to seeing where it takes you.

best wishes
Graham

Main Music:Pure Music>Wireworld silver starlight USB>Mac Air with 256GB SSD>Wireworld silver eclipse 6 ICs >Calyx DAC>Shindo Aurieges L>Sanders Magtech>Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 SC>Magnepan 3.7
Head Music: Audeze LCD2 and AKG 702>Violectric V200 headphone amp
Also: Meridian>Straightwire and Kimber ICs>Peachtree Nova>Quicksilver GE 8417 monos>biwired Kimber 8tc>Proac Response 2