AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-23-2018, 02:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Esoteric K-01X versus Schiit Audio Yggdrasil

by J. Dan Daniell

As I began considering a comparison of the remarkable, albeit humble, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC ($2399.00) against the respected Esoteric K-01X DAC ($20,000.00) the ancient fable of David and Goliath crossed my mind. Just how well could the Yggdrasil stand up against the formidable K-01X? Some audio enthusiasts may consider such a comparison child’s play, a complete waste of time. Others may scoff at the notion a DAC valued at 12% of its opponent would even be considered a worthy contender, sort of like bantam weight meets heavyweight. For others, optimism springs eternal that the underdog may prevail. With so many positive reviews written on both of these audio components, including my K-01X and Yggdrasil reviews, how these two DAC’s sound when compared to each other generates inescapable curiosity.

After removing the McIntosh MR88 tuner I installed the Yggdrasil DAC in the studio system rack on the shelf above the Esoteric K-01X and Aurender N10 music server. In addition to those three components the sound system consists of a McIntosh C1000C/P solid state preamplifier, MC2301 mono tube power amplifiers, Michell Gyro SE turntable with SME309 tonearm and Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge, PurePower 2000 AC regenerator with battery backup, Furutech Flux 50, and Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers. All components are powered with Wireworld Silver Electra power cords. All components are connected with Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC’s, Silver Starlight coaxial cables, and the speakers are wired with Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cables.

In my estimation approximately 20% of the K-01X’s cost is reflected in its reference level VRDS Neo VMK 3.5-20S transport with dedicated speed controller and independent power supply. Since I won’t be using the K-01X transport, only the DAC, I discounted the K-01X value by that amount, considering this a shootout between a $2399.00 DAC and a $16,000.00 DAC, the Yggdrasil coming in at 15% of the K-01X DAC sans the transport. The price differential is substantial. The challenge comes down to whether the Yggdrasil is in the ballpark with the K-01X, possibly on second base, or conceivably sharing the pitcher’s mound. We shall find out.

For this review both DAC’s were fed digital music files from the Aurender N10 music server. Both DAC’s used coaxial digital connections. The analog outputs of both DAC’s were level matched via the trim control on the C1000C/P preamplifier. Both DACs are fully broken in with 700+ hours on the Yggdrasil and well over 1200 hours on the K-01X. Both DAC’s have been energized for weeks at full operating temperature. Each DAC had its own balanced inputs to the preamplifier so that I could make direct A/B comparisons instantaneously by switching between the two inputs on the remote control.

The Esoteric K-01X DAC features independent power supplies for each channel and uses two independent monaural DAC’s, each channel configured with a parallel array of 8 individual AK4495S delta-sigma convertors. The Yggdrasil DAC features an independent power supply dedicated to the dual monaural channels configured with 4 dual channel multibit Analog Devices AD5791 ladder DAC’s. Each of these DAC’s is quite dissimilar in how they perform digital to analog conversions.

Let’s get down to it. I began this DAC shootout with Steely Dan – Two Against Nature, “Cousin Dupree”, a 24/96 file played from the Aurender N10. The K-01X presented an immaculately clean presentation, bass was solid, voices and harmonies were defined with enough air to clearly identify both voices. Lead guitar sizzled and drums were separated and dynamic in their own space. Quickly switching to the Yggdrasil DAC I discovered a remarkably similar presentation. It was a stunning moment to suddenly realize these two DAC’s stand toe to toe. Bass was a tad more prominent from the Yggdrasil but only by a small extent. Drum dynamics were the equal of the K-01X and so were the voices and harmonies. I sensed that the Yggdrasil was a touch warmer but only by a thin hair. Switching back to the K-01X DAC I experienced a faintly drier, vaguely more analytical presentation that I would never have noticed without a direct A/B comparison to the Yggdrasil. What was immediately evident to me, the Yggdrasil is a serious competitor against the esteemed K-01X.

Playing Joe Bonamassa/Beth Hart – Don’t Explain, “Your Heart Is As Black As Night”, a 16/44.1 music file, this time I began with the Yggdrasil. The opening piano was presented with rich, believable weight. The lower octave notes and midrange chords felt pure. When Joe’s guitar and Beth’s voice appeared I was thoroughly engrossed in the performance. Switching to the K-01X DAC I noticed once again a slightly attenuated bass, not dramatic but discernible. The sensation of a drier unbuttered presentation returned with the K-01X. The sound was completely mesmerizing and fulfilling but there was an infinitesimal pinch of sharpening in the midrange, heard mostly in the timbre of Beth’s voice. Again, I think the Yggdrasil’s presentation has a trace more warmth than the K-01X. The difference between these two DAC’s is subtle. I doubt one could walk into a room with both DAC’s on display and tell me definitively which DAC they were hearing. One thing is for certain, the Yggdrasil has no problem sharing the limelight with the K-01X, no problem at all.

I went on to play Stevie Ray Vaughan – Couldn’t Stand The Weather, “Tin Pan Alley”, a 24/88.2 music file. The K-01X delivered a believable cymbal splash and drum roll as the song opened. Stevie’s guitar floated perfectly over the slow bass and the drummer’s rim strikes were crisp. I switched to the Yggdrasil and replayed this track. The cymbal splash and drum roll were the equal of the K-01X while the bass gained a touch more strength. As the song progressed, the dynamics of the drum strikes, guitar riffs, and Stevie’s voice continued to be fully represented from the Yggdrasil and the K-01X. As I switched back and forth between the two DAC’s it became evident both DAC’s have more similarities than differences. Their sounds are very close to each other, although one can sense the more analytical nature of the K-01X. Again, this is only noticeable during direct comparison.

I played a lot of other music from Bonnie Raitt, Alison Krauss, Beck, Lee Ritenour, Fleetwood Mac, Fiona Joy Hawkins, Enya, and more. Sometimes I switched back and forth between the Yggdrasil and the K-01X DAC’s during the songs, and other times I let the entire song play on one DAC, then replayed it on the other DAC. Neither DAC disappointed me in the slightest. I could listen to either one for hours. In fact, I have. I can say this, David did not slay Goliath, nor did Goliath slay David. Both of these DAC’s are truly astonishing performers and reveal their magic in every respect. In this shootout there is no winner with respect to the quality of the sound, the ability to present completely believable and engaging music performances, and leave a listener unconditionally satisfied. It has been said by a few people that the Yggdrasil sounds bright. I don’t have a clue where this rumor started but I can testify it is not true in my experience while enjoying the Yggdrasil in two different high-end sound systems. Rumors can often be persistent, especially left unchallenged, but that does not make them true. I heard nothing to support that notion.

The big elephant in the room is the cost difference between the two DAC’s. In my opinion, the performance differences between the Yggdrasil and the K-01X are not the determining factors. Schiit Audio has created an astonishing performer at a price point that makes some think it would be impossible for it to run with the big dogs. This shootout clearly demonstrated to me that is an incorrect assumption. When determining value one needs to consider how a DAC will integrate into their sound system. The Yggdrasil is a PCM only DAC, no DSD playback, no ultra high-end transport, no switchable filters, no external clock provisions, no dimmable blue fluorescent display, no isolation feet, and no exotic CNC milled casework. It is a basic DAC, but oh what a sound it delivers. I knew when I reviewed the Yggdrasil it was a genuine high fidelity performer with an uncanny ability to present music in a way that captures your emotions. When the music ends you feel refreshed, not fatigued. The Esoteric K-01X does not leave a listener wanting for anything, either. It is able to deliver strikingly whole and organic performances that will keep you parked in the sweet spot for hours. It is up to each individual to determine what is necessary to fill their requirements in an audio component. The Esoteric K-01X presents a full pallet of user features and a level of performance beyond reproach. The Schiit Audio Yggdrasil does one thing, and does it extremely well. It converts PCM into wholly believable and engrossing analog sound. Both of these audio components will thrill their owners with high quality audio reproduction.

It comes down to priorities, which particular features are most important to you, what digital file types must you be able to convert, and ultimately what excites you enough about an audio component to plunk down cash? Lucky for all of us there are choices that allow everyone to enjoy premium performance at both ends of the price spectrum without being forced to relinquish the extraordinary sound quality we all crave. At this level it is more about the spices than the main ingredients. Both DAC’s have a flavor that satisfies while offering surprisingly similar sound. The Yggdrasil and the K-01X each deliver leading edge performance that will compliment any sound system. You can’t go wrong with either one of these two DAC’s. So, who wins? You do!

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-18-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:52 PM

Great review Dan. I think you may be starting a rush for others to try out the Yggdrasil for the value that it gives at a more manageable cost.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira
Old 01-23-2018, 02:57 PM

Outstanding comparison Dan. I had very little doubt the Yggdrasil would more than hold it's own. The Yggrdrasil is a tremendous value DAC and your comparison is a great example of diminishing returns in the high end audio world as we go up the price ladder. Some may not care that a DAC at $20k does not offer a substantial gain or they may prefer the drier, more analytical presentation, others will find a $2400 DAC that performs on this level a fantastic addition to their system at a fraction of the price. It is good to have choices.

These are the good days of high end audio as more and more value products are appearing on the market that challenge the "veblen goods" (as Stephen/PumaCat likes to phrase it) model and offer tremendous performance where it counts. Schiit as a company have certainly proved their point with all their product offerings.

Thanks for taking your time to compare and share with the rest of us. Once again, it was a pleasure to read such a detailed and well written comparison.

Last edited by PHC1; 01-23-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:08 PM

Great review, Dan. I think there are a lot of audio components that are closer than you think in performance, but have a big difference in price. For Esoteric gear, you definitely pay a premium for the build quality. There is no doubt that Esoteric is one of the most well designed and built gear on the planet. And quite beautiful.

I will add that getting an external clock really wakes up the K-01x. Too bad the Yiggy doesn't have that option.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Great review, Dan. I think there are a lot of audio components that are closer than you think in performance, but have a big difference in price. For Esoteric gear, you definitely pay a premium for the build quality. There is no doubt that Esoteric is one of the most well designed and built gear on the planet. And quite beautiful.

I will add that getting an external clock really wakes up the K-01x. Too bad the Yiggy doesn't have that option.
Marc, I personally find it a bit insulting that a company expects us to pay $20k for a DAC which in itself is limited in performance without yet another expense of adding an external clock for yet another absurd amount of money. Don't you?
Old 01-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Life is beautiful

Dan, a big thank you for the comparison.
There are some real bargains in the hifi world.
You will not read about them in audiophile magazines very often, so they remain hidden.
I'm glad we can learn about them on this site.
I know how much effort it takes to conduct such a test, and then to make a good resume out of the notes.
I truly appreciate the time you dedicated to this.

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Hello Dan,

Thanks a lot for the review.
It was very interesting.
I noticed more than once that the differences between many dacs may be very light while the price tags differences are not marginal at all.
Your review confirms this. It is great to know that a stellar performance can be achieved now in digital music without spending fortunes.
Kudos to Schiit !
Old 01-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Marc, I personally find it a bit insulting that a company expects us to pay $20k for a DAC which in itself is limited in performance without yet another expense of adding an external clock for yet another absurd amount of money. Don't you?
I think it's misleading to say that it's limited in performance. It's a great performer, but it has options for expansion that make it even better.

But I do get your overall point. It is expensive stuff to be sure. But, I didn't pay retail
Old 01-23-2018, 05:04 PM

Dan,
Great review! I've thought that the latest crop of DAC's under $2,500 are real game changers. Your review sure underscores that point. This is a great time to be in audio!
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-23-2018, 05:07 PM

Thanks Dan!