AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 12-01-2016, 03:11 AM

Triangle should be the second largest manufacturer in France not the third... It certainly doesn't matter! What matters most is that their products sound amazing (although not always - I'll explain immediately). Rock, I recommend you head directly to the Magellan line if your wallet agrees with you! For example, the Magellan Cello is a truly high-end loudspeaker as long as you know how to choose your amplification, source and cables! Unfortunately that mini-horn tweeter has amazing energy, energy that may translate to aggressive sound, with a tonal imbalance centered on the highs. That's why they are easily matched with tube gear and Accuphase... for instance. One of their key features is their amazing speed and macro-dynamics so a smart matching with SS gear helps them even more in this regard. BAT is also a match made in heaven for them as are Vitus and Thrax amps! Careful placement of the loudspeakers is also a vital element in this equation.
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:57 AM

Ditto on that recommendation though it looks from the OP's signature that you did pull the trigger and now have the Antals. Back in 2004-2006 I listened to a LOT of speakers (Dali Megalines, Eggleston Works Andra, Usher Be10 and Be20, Krell LATs, Avalon, Verity, Focal, Wilson, Legacy, B&W, Triangle and many, many others). I heard the Triangle Antal Es and Comete Es (the predecessors in the Esprit line) and for the price, they blew me away with what they brought to the table. more to the point as the time, the Antal and Comete kept pace believe it or not with much more expensive speakers from the other manufacturers listed above. I also heard the Volante (now approximately the Magellan Quatours) and Austral which were over the top in many categories for classical and jazz music. Also considered and heard the Magellan Concertos and Grands. All amazing speakers, great fit and finish and exceptionally tight and accurate bass down to the 28-32 Hz ballpark, great mids and very revealing highs. In the end, I was looking at the Volantes or the Magellan Concertos due to size, price-point, etc...

The tweeter in the horn enclosure was very interesting and incredibly revealing, with a rear-firing tweeter to add ambiance to the portrayal of sound. The Magellan Grands and Magellan Concertos also added a rear-firing midrange driver which caused an even more spacious and well integrated sound profile.

In the end however for my personal tastes of music, I noted 2 things; over periods of 45 minutes or longer, there was some fatigue that emerged to my ears and the forward mids and highs concerned me when playing large orchestral with predominant brass sections, or trying to play rock, prog-rock, etc....I also did not come away with the thought they would be a match for what I wanted for the home theater side of my hybrid setup at the time. The fatigue could very well have been partially brought on by the combination of amps, cables and pre-amp in this particular dealer's system. I could easily hear however that in the right system, for the right types of music, Triangle brought an amazing speaker to the table at all price points.

In my recent speaker musings, I was spending some time remembering my listening to the Triangle speaker line many years ago and almost resolved to go back to the Magellan Grands to see what they've changed and how they sound today...

In short a great manufacturer that deserves more press here in North America with great following in Europe from what I recall.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Ditto on that recommendation though it looks from the OP's signature that you did pull the trigger and now have the Antals. Back in 2004-2006 I listened to a LOT of speakers (Dali Megalines, Eggleston Works Andra, Usher Be10 and Be20, Krell LATs, Avalon, Verity, Focal, Wilson, Legacy, B&W, Triangle and many, many others). I heard the Triangle Antal Es and Comete Es (the predecessors in the Esprit line) and for the price, they blew me away with what they brought to the table. more to the point as the time, the Antal and Comete kept pace believe it or not with much more expensive speakers from the other manufacturers listed above. I also heard the Volante (now approximately the Magellan Quatours) and Austral which were over the top in many categories for classical and jazz music. Also considered and heard the Magellan Concertos and Grands. All amazing speakers, great fit and finish and exceptionally tight and accurate bass down to the 28-32 Hz ballpark, great mids and very revealing highs. In the end, I was looking at the Volantes or the Magellan Concertos due to size, price-point, etc...

The tweeter in the horn enclosure was very interesting and incredibly revealing, with a rear-firing tweeter to add ambiance to the portrayal of sound. The Magellan Grands and Magellan Concertos also added a rear-firing midrange driver which caused an even more spacious and well integrated sound profile.

In the end however for my personal tastes of music, I noted 2 things; over periods of 45 minutes or longer, there was some fatigue that emerged to my ears and the forward mids and highs concerned me when playing large orchestral with predominant brass sections, or trying to play rock, prog-rock, etc....I also did not come away with the thought they would be a match for what I wanted for the home theater side of my hybrid setup at the time. The fatigue could very well have been partially brought on by the combination of amps, cables and pre-amp in this particular dealer's system. I could easily hear however that in the right system, for the right types of music, Triangle brought an amazing speaker to the table at all price points.

In my recent speaker musings, I was spending some time remembering my listening to the Triangle speaker line many years ago and almost resolved to go back to the Magellan Grands to see what they've changed and how they sound today...

In short a great manufacturer that deserves more press here in North America with great following in Europe from what I recall.
I couldn't agree with you more!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:21 PM

Did anyone pay a visit to the New York Audio Show 2017 Adirondack Audio room?

https://youtu.be/66t7FPxAYlU

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:25 PM

Default An update

I've been living with the Triangles and the Audio Note for well over two years now.. and I still very much enjoy the combination. Positioning, has not been an issue for me.. and perhaps I was lucky to find the sweet spot quickly.. and maybe.. the big change that I heard was from moving from McIntosh to Audio Note.. perhaps if I had had previous experience with tube gear.. I may not have been mesmerized by the Triangles..

During this time I have tried to find Triangle dealers in North America and they are very few indeed. Even more so in Canada. In addition I've found more reviews on-line, and Triangle does seem to create a buzz.. have been well received...

However, I've noticed recently that a few dealers have picked up the line.. and I've had the chance to listen to the Signature Alpha by Triangle and I was impressed enough to consider upgrading... More importantly I was able to do a side by side audition with the Tannoy Kensingtons and both my wife and I concluded the Alpha's sounded just a bit more musical, more smooth than the Tannoys, which truly surprised me.

However, I am wondering if I should not make a bigger jump and move right up to the Magellan line...

Any feedback/thoughts would be welcomed.