AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Old 11-27-2016, 04:04 PM

thx SMP for updating us

can i ask you what speakers and preamp you are using, as i am about to put in an order for a pair of ML2.2 and the new L2.1 Ref.

best paul
Old 11-30-2016, 08:59 AM

Have two LAMM pre-amps - LL2 Deluxe and the L2 Reference. Move between the two - the LL2D is a massive bargain and of course all valve. Prior to acquiring the LAMM pre-amps I used a CAT Ultimate for a year or so which was (and remains) a terrific pre-amp as well. Have a Shindo Aurieges, again very nice with a Line Magnetic LM 518iA and Cary Audio 300 SE Signatures, but the synergy between the LAMM products is unquestionable in my opinion...........I think you can be confident that you are on the right track for a great treat.

I have used Sonus faber Stradivaris (4 ohm /92 dB) for 10+ years and the combination does it for me...........the LAMMs have no trouble driving them to more than reasonable levels in my 7m X 5.5m X 4m room.Used them with Martin Logan Summits as well with great results too.

One thing I have noticed is that LAMM gear seems to really shine (well doesn't all equipment) on good racks - have Finite Elemente amp stands (most effective on wooden, floating floors) and Grand Prix Monaco on a wood over reinforced concrete floor (which is my current situation)............and there of course many more superb racks/stands.

Hope this might be of some value to you.

Last edited by Smp; 11-30-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:50 PM

Thx smp . That is a great collection of tube equipment.

Can I bother you for a quick comment on the sound of the 2 lamm preamps? I prefer a more "romantic" sound so I initially thought the single box LL2.1 might be the way to go but my dealer is suggesting the 2 box L2.1 is the way to go.

Neither are available to demo unfortunately.

Thx
Old 12-01-2016, 09:06 AM

Aaaaggghhhh, Paul your question is a killer and one which I know has been debated here and elsewhere and both units have come out winners. I am aware that many enthusiasts do prefer the LL2D (as I did for a time), but I will go as far as saying that the L2R to me is the more "organic" sounding pre and ultimately is probably my preferred unit, but I have periods of wanting only to use the LL2D...........in my set up as it's higher gain is desirable (from memory this can be varied on the LL2.1D). I would ask others to chip in as I have long since avoided the analysis of the "sound" of equipment........I just get on and (hopefully) enjoy the music produced by whichever pre-amp is connected at the time. One can naturally speculate on the dealer's recommendation, but that would probably be ingracious?

You are considering making a reasonably significant purchase and I am certain everyone here will undoubtedly recommend that you need to somehow arrange to listen to both units with the ML2.2s prior to purchase. I had the same issue when I purchased my ML2.2s but I had owned the ML2s for many years along with both pre-amps so had a good idea of what I could expect.

Last edited by Smp; 12-01-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:09 AM

thx SMP

really appreciate u taking the time to respond to my questions.

I'm sure if my dealer had all the items in question i wouldnt have to post so many.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:43 AM

Paul,

You have kept us in the dark - which LAMM pre-amp did you end up taking home?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 AM

Hey SMP

funny you ask.... Given i could not audition the Lamms, i took a sideways step and got Triode Corporation Junone Refence preamp and their matching TRX M845 mono's......

this allowed to me to transition my solid state gear out and get the valves in.

I'm now thinking about the Lamm's again, although I've got a set of CMS Maxxum racks coming on wednesday which should be fun.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:50 AM

Agree, that was indeed a sideways step - I have heard the Triode Corp. gear a few times (not in my system) and it is very decent, but the LAMMs are unquestionably in another league altogether. Anyway, it was obviously part of an upgrading plan- good luck in your progress.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:59 AM

Hi pweg,

I noticed that you demoed the Viva Solistina late last year (with Marten Coltrane 3s) and you enjoyed it very much yet you didn't proceed to buy it and went with the Triode Corp. 845s - now I assume that you may now have the LAMM ML 2.2s? I'm considering the Solistina to be used with DeVore 0/96s (second system) - would you mind telling me how in your opinion you felt the Solistina faredl sound quality wise in this trio of amps? Many thanks.

Last edited by Smp; 07-13-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:57 AM

Hi SMP

The viva was beautiful in my system with to die for set properties. Voices really projected out into space. However. In my system is was tonally light and a bit forward. Compared to the big Triodes the Italian lacked bass and that shifted everything forward a bit.

Apart from that it was beautiful to look at, ran super duper hot and was damn heavy for a baby integrated.

It never ran out of steam and was always loud enough in my system but I fear my speakers may have been a bit of an unpleasant load for it. For a second system with speakers like u suggested it should sound fabulous. I would unhesitatingly recommend.

Last edited by pweg; 07-13-2017 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Added