McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-04-2019, 12:56 AM

Why stop there? Go all out with the 9000
Old 02-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Default Help with picking downsized system

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
Why stop there? Go all out with the 9000
I looked at it however cost/benefit analysis for this “compact” 2-channel system is too skewed with the 9000. Yea, it’s an extra 100w, but at a cost that would have me keeping the better mc452/c50 set-up which doesnt end up taking up much more room (and used would actually cost less. $5500 for 452 + $3500 for c50 < $11000 for 9000)

Last edited by Mille162; 02-04-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
The pairing of the cartridge (Sumiko Blue Point HO MC) w/ the phono section of the MA252 is well matched and I doubt McIntosh would have made an error in terms of gain incompatibility. Whether you like the sonic character of the combination is another matter. I did not care to exceed the complexity or cost by adding a phono preamp to allow use of low output MC cartridges. OTOH there are MM cartridges that could be used without great additional expense, such as those from Clearaudio. The sonic character of the cartridge supplied with the MT5 would not exclude the purchase of the table/arm in my opinion.

I’ve heard great reviews of the Ortofon Black MM with this combo. I’ve got the Quintet Black MC now and love it and told the MM actually performs as well if not better. At $650ish on sale it was a cartridge I was considering with the ma252 combo.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille162 View Post
I’ve heard great reviews of the Ortofon Black MM with this combo. I’ve got the Quintet Black MC now and love it and told the MM actually performs as well if not better. At $650ish on sale it was a cartridge I was considering with the ma252 combo.
There are a plethora of possible cartridges available that could fit the bill. Since the Sumiko is included in the package I would (and have) start with it, live with it for a while, and then decide where to go next.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:02 AM

The new stuff just doesn't have the flexibility I would want. The bug in the works is wanting a tuner. But you'll give that up for a MA 252. I'd want a C715 and a MC 122, or for slightly more room a MX 117 and a MC 7100. I wouldn't buy the MT-5 as it has chassis resonance problems if like bass and push levels a bit. I under stand a MT-2 is a better choice. I can't see giving up the 462, Its quad balanced and the other amps aren't going to be close to the same. So I would be pre-amp shopping. Its a shame they. don't make a tuner/pre-amp anymore. They should have made a MX 170 instead of a C-70. The MX 110 was wildly popular back in the 60's. But then streaming has replaced radio. It just cost more money. Never give up an amp you are happy with. I gave up my 275's for 2100's 2200's 2250's Crown amps of all shapes and sizes. It wasn't until the 7200 and 7100 came along I could be happy again. But I would have needed 7 7200's so I now have two 207's and a 206, The 206 is for remote speakers. So keep your 462, in another few years you can sell it for what you paid for it. Your going to loose money if you sell it now unless your dealer has some kind of swap arrangement if you buy something more valuable. Oh and never place a TT on top of a power amp. Hummmmm!!!!!!! and heat. I should talk my Thorens sits on top of my 206 and one of two 207, But I knew that sheet of lead I was using back in the 60's would come in handy one day, and it still works with only 8 inches of vertical separation between the 206 power transformer and the phono carriage path across the record.. Having a good ground is very important. Where's the nearest copper water pipe?

Last edited by TWInsall; 02-06-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWInsall View Post
The new stuff just doesn't have the flexibility I would want. The bug in the works is wanting a tuner. But you'll give that up for a MA 252. I'd want a C715 and a MC 122, or for slightly more room a MX 117 and a MC 7100. I wouldn't buy the MT-5 as it has chassis resonance problems if like bass and push levels a bit. I under stand a MT-2 is a better choice. I can't see giving up the 462, Its quad balanced and the other amps aren't going to be close to the same. So I would be pre-amp shopping. Its a shame they. don't make a tuner/pre-amp anymore. They should have made a MX 170 instead of a C-70. The MX 110 was wildly popular back in the 60's. But then streaming has replaced radio. It just cost more money. Never give up an amp you are happy with. I gave up my 275's for 2100's 2200's 2250's Crown amps of all shapes and sizes. It wasn't until the 7200 and 7100 came along I could be happy again. But I would have needed 7 7200's so I now have two 207's and a 206, The 206 is for remote speakers. So keep your 462, in another few years you can sell it for what you paid for it. Your going to loose money if you sell it now unless your dealer has some kind of swap arrangement if you buy something more valuable. Oh and never place a TT on top of a power amp. Hummmmm!!!!!!! and heat. I should talk my Thorens sits on top of my 206 and one of two 207, But I knew that sheet of lead I was using back in the 60's would come in handy one day, and it still works with only 8 inches of vertical separation between the 206 power transformer and the phono carriage path across the record.. Having a good ground is very important. Where's the nearest copper water pipe?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it’s not often someone on here is looking to take a step backward and downgrade their system, so there’s not much advice to reference on the forums on best options to trade down, lol.

I understand the next 2-4 years will be a compromise as I transition to “city living” and right now space is a premium. Can’t see how I’d keep the 452, the chassis is long enough to not fit on most standard shelves, plus is weight and size just mean it’s not going to easily fit with new furniture. Plus, it requires a dedicated preamp, taking up even more space. Trust me, I love it’s performance, but life sometimes gets in the way...oh well, I was already planning to upgrade my c50/mc452 with c1100/mc611’s so I’m ok with just keeping eyes on the future when I can upgrade again!

The ma252 just really doesnt have the power I think, so I’m 90% set on 6700/7200. I understand the optimal placement of the turntable is NOT ontop, but worst case scenario if space dictates placement, it’s at least a possibility (or maybe rig up a partial stand to hold it slightly above it with thin legs?). Either way, the 6700/7200 has twice the power and more flexibility than the ma252, esp with the phono stage.

I’m surprised you say that of the mt5, and recommend the mt2! The only mt2 I saw was in AD’s showroom and had a cracked base. With that aside, it did not impress me at all. The mt5 has received rave reviews from everyone I know, and it was my AD who talked me out of the mt10 and steered me towards the mt5 last year. Ive also heard the mt5 with the mt10 cartridge side by side with the mt10 and couldnt pick out any differences, but the mt5 has a more “multi-use room” friendly footprint and seems to be easier to adjust tonearm. I’m still 1-3 months away from purchasing the turntable so I still have a little time to keep comparing them.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille162 View Post
The ma252 just really doesnt have the power I think, so I’m 90% set on 6700/7200. I understand the optimal placement of the turntable is NOT ontop, but worst case scenario if space dictates placement, it’s at least a possibility (or maybe rig up a partial stand to hold it slightly above it with thin legs?). Either way, the 6700/7200 has twice the power and more flexibility than the ma252, esp with the phono stage.
You should definitely look at the McIntosh MA9000. I haven't heard McIntosh MA7200, but I had chance to compare McIntosh MA8900 and MA9000. The local HiFi store had both integrated amplifiers. MA9000 was really good. It's close to McIntosh C52+MC452. In my opinion, McIntosh MA9000 sounded better than MA8900. The only problem with MA9000 is that it is heavy.

Last edited by xv21; 02-06-2019 at 06:33 PM.