AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-02-2018, 11:06 AM

Default ARC Ref 6 or Anniversary?

If you could get either one at the same price, which one?

I have used Mcintosh c2500 + mc452 to drive SF Amati Futura for the past few years, i think it's about the time to try ARC

Unfortunately there is no chance for me to demo Anniversary for comparison.
If you are one of the lucky ppl have listened to both preamps, it would be appreciated if you could share your opinion...Thanks!

Last edited by schuzants; 11-02-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:19 PM

About 10 years ago, I had a Mac c1000 pre and stereo mc2102 amp. When I went to my dealer to buy the MC 2301, he suggested that I compare it to a mid level ARC system. He had both. It was not even close. For less than half the price, arc offered much better, more accurate and transparent sound. So I bought an ARC reference system and I have been all ARC since. It’s time to upgrade. You will not regret it.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 11-03-2018, 03:45 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

I agree with jpgr4blu.

I have not heard the Ref Anniversary but I'm familiar with the sound of the Ref 6 and Ref 3 Phono, and I own the Ref 10 and Ref 10 phono.

The newer units do sound different from the 5se, 2se, 10 and 10phono. The newer units are bolder and a bit more forward sounding. The prior units are more laid back. Forward and laid back are neither good nor bad; its a matter of preference imo. Forward does not mean aggressive and laid back does not mean slow.

The 10s have more detail, tonal and harmonic richness, and micro- and macro-dynamics than the 3 and 6. Highs and lows are better with the 10s. Much of that is about the power supplies. The Anniversary has an excellent reputation - jpgr4blu can say more - it is a special unit made for that point in ARC history.

If you're new to ARC you probably don't know these prior units. I'd look around to see if you can find a gently used Ref 10 - it will be worth paying a little extra. Barring that, I don't have a decision for you, but you will likely be quite happy with either Anniversary or Ref 6.

Last edited by tima; 11-03-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:15 PM

The only ARC preamp I would select over the Anniversary edition ( regardless of price) would be the Ref 10. But the Anniversary is a bargain at the used prices today ( 10 to 12k). The Ref 10 is incrementally better but I am not as familiar with pricing on used Ref 10s to advise. Rest assured, these 2 preamps are significantly better than any 1 piece preamp in the ARC line. And I am a big fan of the ARC line.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 11-03-2018, 02:02 PM

The 10 vs 40 is an acquired taste. As having heard both I’ll take my 40 any day if the week. Like all things everything is listener and system dependent.
Mine has matched (date code and matching electrical characteristics DR 6H30’s (10) and date coded matched GE 6550’s. Simply superb.

6H30’s are 1985 and 6550’s are the welded plate 1972.

BTW I have Herbies RX dampers on all tubes incl the 6550’s. The synthetic O rings ARC uses really throttle choke the preamp.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:51 AM

Thanks all for your feedback, much appreciated!

Look like Anniversary is the one for me to pursue
Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 AM

From Audiogon, currently for sale:

Ref 10 @ $15k
Anniversary @ $10k

Does the extra $5k worth stretching to get Ref 10?
Old 11-04-2018, 02:04 PM

The better the product, the more you have to pay for incremental gains. The Ref 10 is not 33 percent "better" than the Ref 40 which is outstanding in its own right. Assuming that the Ref10 is in the range of 10 percent "better", the question is: Is 10 percent worth an additional third of the cost or 5k?
I've said yes to such calculations in the past and I've said no. For example, when I listened to the Ref 210s in my room vs the Ref 110, the Ref 210s were only marginally better for my use, but at double the cost. It was a very easy call. I went with the Ref 110 (later to Ref 150 and now to Ref 160Ms). On the other hand, when I bought what I hope will be the last cd player I will ever own, I spent significantly more for a marginal gain vs my second favorite.
I generally don't upgrade unless I can hear the difference quite clearly, it is unmistakable in repeated listening and it is a sound upgrade that I prefer. Personally, I would not pay 15k vs 10k for the difference in sound between these 2, but I could understand how somebody might make that judgment.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:28 PM

The 10 isn’t better than the 40. It has a different sonic signature. Comparing the two once I found them to be so close except for tonality as to not be able to discern. The two circuits are. Virtually identical. ARC changed coupling caps to the gold ones from the massive Teflon in the 40 and shielded the transformers in the PS. Also they changed and voiced the 10 to the Sovtek 6550WE from the Svetlana Winged C 6550 (a superior sounding tube over the 6550WE IMHO).
ARC raised the price $5k for this and front panel/display changes.

Personally if you can find a mint cares for 40 go for it.

Mine will be the final preamp I ever own. Superb beyond measure on all levels.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:29 AM

I agree that the Anniversary is different in character than the Ref 10. Some would say the Anniversary edition is better and I understand that position.
I used a 10 percent better example which is personal to me and may be overstated. But, in fact, the sounds of the 2 are very close and largely a matter of tonality with the sound of the 10 being slightly more transparent but possibly losing some magic of the Anniversary. In fact, Oddeophile hits on an interesting topic of the coupling capacitors. For a while, the capacitors in the Anniversary edition were creating problems according to some rumors but undeniably could not be sourced by ARC as the manufacturer could not produce them fast enough and/or went out of business. I always felt that ARC made some changes on the Ref10 due to its inability to source the capacitors used in the Ref 40.
In any event, I would opt for the Ref 40 if there is any significant price difference. Unless ARC makes a preamp that is significantly better, I too will keep my Ref 40 for years to come.