AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Tannoy Speakers

Tannoy Speakers Over 80 Years of Audio Invention

Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Do try the ST100's with the treble shelved down to -1.5 on the Canterbury's- I find this combination makes my system sing. Yes, the Canterburys are darker than the Kensington's, and I think the Canterburys sound better listening near field.

Are your Super tweeters the B version?- yes there are 2 versions of the ST100- each having difference crossover steps & sensitivity settings!!! There is nothing noting the 2 types on the Tannoy Website- I got the information off a Japanese website & had a Japanese's speaking staff member translate.

The ST100 is a universal super tweeter with frequency 18, 20, or 22kHz adjustable & Level: 87dB, 89dB, 91dB, 93.5dB, 95dB

The ST100B has frequency 14,16 & 18kHz & Level :87dB, 89dB, 91dB, 93dB, 95dB

You need the ST100B for use with the Canterbury (Manual recommends 14kHz & 95dB which sounds best in my system).

Im 50, and had my hearing tested a few yrs ago- the Audiologist said I had the hearing of a 15 year old- he had never seen someone of my age have that level of hearing- pity my eye sight isn't as good- even after Lasik surgery, by close-up vision is rubbish!
Interesting -- I've learned a few new things in this thread thanks to you, NZ421291! My ST100 are indeed the 14/16/18kHz version, just like the ST200 I had before. So that's good. I'll try the -1.5 energy setting with ST's @ 95dB, as you suggest. I had previously tried the 93dB/14kHz setting on the ST100 with Canterbury Energy @ Level, which didn't fully achieve the desired results.

You are blessed with great hearing. I hope I can hold on to mine half as well!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 AM

I forgot to mention the importance of using the dedicated Tannoy SuperLink Cable designed to be used with the ST100 & 200. https://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=1790 Use of this cable was strongly recommended by my Dealer. He has similar taste in sound to me.

I tried a number of different cables from ordinary hook-up wire (awful) some MIT cable I had lying around (not much better) & the wire used internally in amps made by Lavardin Technologies (very good). I have yet to use Nordost Red Dawn LS cable which I use to hook-up my Canterburys & all my interconnects are Red Dawn as well- as I am looking for a pair that is less than 2 meters long.

The Superlink cable sounded best- again, only intensive listening showed the SuperLink to sound better than the Lavardin- it appeared to me that there was more information being passed to the super tweeter if that makes sense.

I'm assuming that the High purity (99.999%) solid core silver wiring used in the cable is the reason for that. If you do have Superlink- make sure the banana plug covers are on tight- they are screw in types & can work loose easily & go where lost socks end up! My wife hates the look of the ST100's- calls then shot down & burnt out UFO's from the old TV Programme UFO http://www.sharecg.com/v/42151/galle...UFO-1970-on-TV. So Im only allowed to set them up on weekends (the things we do for our better halves) Anyway- unplugged the SuperLink Cable & one of the covers fell off without me noticing & my wife probably vacuumed it up during her usual Tuesday cleaning frenzy- fortunately Tannoy had a spare lying around & sent it to me - free of charge- fabulous service!!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by NZ421291; 06-03-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: added some more detail on the Superlink Cable.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 PM

With the ST100B I also got the SuperLink cables. They are indeed very nice. As with you, my only minor complaint is the largely pointless screw-on metal sleeves. Well, also the unterminated grounding wire.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 PM

My 1st gen Canterburys don't have the grounding post- The Dealer used the grounding wire with a pair of Kensington's & he didn't think it made any difference if it was connected or not.

Have you tried connecting the grounding wire?
Old 12-20-2014, 02:17 PM

Listening to Tannoys in the all flat position wold be just fine providing the recording engineers didn't spike up the highs to make up for their hearing preferences and monitors with unrealistic hi frequency production. Then too I like to attend un-amplified live performances and with air absorption there is a natural roll off. I prefer to to have about a 6db roll off of the high frequencies as a normal setting. Then using my remote on my processor for HT and the graphic controls for the Stereo pre amp I can return to flat if I wish. I use parametric Eq's for room Eq to control a bump here or there. So I follow the B-curve Ortofon and Roger Russell suggested many years ago. It works for me. With some big band recordings I reduce the highs further if I'm day dreaming or reading at the same time, but If I want to recall my days of participating in Dance and Lab bands then I might even crank the highs even more above flat. Basie recordings give me the biggest fits, with some reissues being overly bright and others being just plain lacking in much above 7 khz in natural sound. Having heard, Basie, Kenton, Woody, Buddy Rich so many times live either back stage, under earphones, mixing sound, or dancing at concerts I have my own ideas what they sound like live. And so starting out with the highs turned down 6 db is the right place to start for me.

Now the Marine band, Navy Band, Norad, Band, others require adjustments, too. Mike placement and type used during the recording process make such a big difference. You could set your speakers in almost any variant and you would have to use a great Graphic EQ to get the sound right. I Have heard the Marine band in Symphonic halls, auditoriums, gyms and out doors. Heard recordings with Big diaphragm mics and small diaphragm mics. Some with omni patterns and others with variations of cardioid patterns each adding a flavor to the natural sound. My big is issue is always getting the bass right first and then building the rest of the sound on top of that. Highs can be adjusted quite easily as opposed to getting the balance of the bottom octaves and the associated octaves of the midrange covered by the woofer smooth and life like.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:46 PM

hi i wonder if theres a crossover kit (upgrade) for Tannoys system DMT15?