AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 09-07-2014, 02:19 PM

Anyone ever do more direct comparison between the Triton and the ART6-TSS?

Ken, what did you do? Are you happy?

Frankly, any time I start to hear hocus-pocus on power I hide my wallet and run for the hills. The whole DTCS thing is nothing more than Ohms Law with wiffle dust. I know that Shunyata makes great stuff, but to me taking Ohm's law and measuring change in current and volts over a conductor and mystifying it by doing it in very short time frames (i.e., instantaneous) is NOT rocket science and smells like marketing spin. Something I consider a unnecessary practice for a company with high performance products like those sold by Shunyata.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 PM

My point is regarding the development and trade marking of the DTCS acronym. It is IMO an unnecessary marketing practice for a company with their level of technical competence.

They use DTCS as if it some kind of a breakthrough to measure pulse current when it is nothing more than a common application of ohms law in a specific time domain. Its been done for ever in electrical engineering applications but they trade mark it and try to make an argument that for the "first time" the world can now prove the superior performance of there products.

"Wiffle dust" in my mind is making something sound magical thats not. Given how much of that crud there is in the power market, it seems a shame for a company with products like shunyata to take this approach.

Shunyata is one of the few companies that I had historically held to a high standard in this regard until this marketing spin came along. For me it goes to credibility; it just creates doubt in my mind about their other claims and I think thats unfortunate.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 PM

If you can do better than start your own company, sell a better product, and get numerous endorsements from industry experts about how great your product works.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
Anyone ever do more direct comparison between the Triton and the ART6-TSS?

Ken, what did you do? Are you happy?

Frankly, any time I start to hear hocus-pocus on power I hide my wallet and run for the hills. The whole DTCS thing is nothing more than Ohms Law with wiffle dust. I know that Shunyata makes great stuff, but to me taking Ohm's law and measuring change in current and volts over a conductor and mystifying it by doing it in very short time frames (i.e., instantaneous) is NOT rocket science and smells like marketing spin. Something I consider a unnecessary practice for a company with high performance products like those sold by Shunyata.
Paul,

I decided to go with the Audience AR6-TSS. Before adding this conditioner, there was a brightness and edginess in the treble of my system that I just couldn't tame. Despite component and cable upgrades, this was unchanged. One thing I did notice was that my system did sound better very late at night. This is what led me to looking at power conditioners. When I added the AR6-TSS to my system, the change was dramatic, the brightness and edginess in the treble vanished. Since this point, it has been all gravy and I'm now really enjoying the music and not focusing on anything else. In some ways, this component is the most important change that I've made to my system. If this is snake oil, you can count me in as a believer.

Incidentally, the TAS review of the AR6-TSS is pretty much spot on in my opinion. Here's the link:

http://www.audience-av.com/reviews/P...hongo_0813.pdf

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 09-08-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:51 PM

Thanks Ken.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 AM

What you describe, Ken, is exactly what a good power conditioner should do: allow the music to come through unfettered by artifacts so your attention is on what's being played out in your room and not what's doing the playing.

Enjoy!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Thanks guys, it feels good to finally get over the hump!

Ken