AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 04-06-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I thought 3x12 would be more area than 2x15, but I was wrong. So you definitely have a point. I guess it then becomes a matter of the materials, bracing, and tuning.

3x12 would tend to be a bit faster in transients though.
Also, you would split the load from two to three subwoofers, thus enabling
a little more power handling all things considered.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I thought 3x12 would be more area than 2x15, but I was wrong. So you definitely have a point. I guess it then becomes a matter of the materials, bracing, and tuning.

3x12 would tend to be a bit faster in transients though.
Thank you Marc and Piolaxo for your thoughts. It's a tough decision because I know what I have with my Thor. It is an extremely rugged piece of gear. I have found most subs simply don't perform as billed. "6000 watts" means nothing absolutely nothing. It's all advertising hype. The Thor will take 1,000 real world watts with no sign of strain. I have a mono configuration and need the ruggedness for my movies and some cuts of really low frequency material. If I were dissatisfied with my integration no contest no question, Subsonic all the way. However, I believe the 15" woofer which was developed after the 12" is inherently more rugged and powerful, and as I said 2 15's is over 10% greater in cone surface area than 3 12's. Also more excursion. Appreciate anyone's thoughts but I'm still leaning towards Thor, mainly because I know what I have with my Thor. Will make decision soon.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:53 PM

Just got all needed information. It is as I suspected: it will be a brand spanking new Thor Galaxy Grey! I really appreciated Bill's input so much. My new crossover is arriving today. Now my system can age in one piece in harmony including amps cables...everything. I am really happy. I might add that Wilson is covering the new crossover under warranty even though 9 years old at no charge. What a fantastic company to work with!!

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 04-07-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:19 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just got all needed information. It is as I suspected: it will be a brand spanking new Thor Galaxy Grey! I really appreciated Bill's input so much. My new crossover is arriving today. Now my system can age in one piece in harmony including amps cables...everything. I am really happy. I might add that Wilson is covering the new crossover under warranty even though 9 years old at no charge. What a fantastic company to work with!!

Charles
Excellent choice Charles! I know you will enjoy your new Thor. Plus you are in for a pleasant surprise when you get the new Controller up and running.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Excellent choice Charles! I know you will enjoy your new Thor. Plus you are in for a pleasant surprise when you get the new Controller up and running.
Bill, thank you so much! New crossover hasn't yet arrived. It was supposed to be delivered by day's end but now Fed Ex says delivery date yet to be determined. Check given to dealer tomorrow. Tremendously looking forward to my new Thor. Honestly can't imagine what the "pleasant surprise" will be.

Best

Charles
Old 04-08-2020, 04:45 PM

Default XVX in Dealer Showroom

Here is the XVX in dealer showroom. I just went to the store to drop off check for Thors Hammer. Also had Alexx and Alexia v2 on display. XLF recently sold. Hope Ivan will properly orient. Soon I believe this will no longer be a problem for me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F6F4D72E-15B8-471B-882A-02D70D2716A9.jpeg (202.7 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpeg 69FB0E71-79F8-4F1E-8F1E-843B20D8171D.jpeg (195.9 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by Masterlu; 04-08-2020 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Embed Photos
Old 04-09-2020, 05:16 AM

Crossover has been found and is scheduled to arrive by end of day. At least this is what Fed Ex says. I am really looking forward to my new Thor. With the XVX installation I was so nervous I couldn't even watch. I stayed back in the study and then went for a long walk. I had no idea how it would fit how it would sound how it would look in my room or even if it would arrive up my stairs in one piece. It was zero fun and then there was the adjustments after the install. I had never heard a speaker like the XVX. It was a different animal. So even though it's modules were not correctly aligned I was blown away. But I did notice a distinct drop in the sound stage which surprised me. With the correct adjustments the sound stage height became perfect and the vocals, instruments etc definitely more focused. There is no question that fairly minute adjustments (a few millimeters which is all they were off) to these modules significantly changes the sound. So it is not advertising hype. It is also interesting to note that all the new Wilsons have very significant ability to adjust their modules, really as much as the XVX. Beginning with the Alexia v2 as far as I can tell each model has a very accurate chronometer identical to the XVX for the modules. It's simply that the XVX has more modules, that's the main difference.

So with the Thor, I'm totally relaxed, which will probably mean disaster (just kidding). My old Thor was a demo that was never used so it was basically brand new but it was one of the very first produced. It produced wonderful bass but I believe my new Thor may be even better than my old one and will certainly match my system better. So in a way I'm looking forward to it, much more than the XVX, which was nothing but nerves all the way.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:10 PM

Well, the new crossover is up and running, working perfectly. I must say that even though it is the same crossover it is a better crossover. It sounds significantly better than the old crossover. I am very pleased about this and now really looking forward even more to my new Thors Hammer. In addition to obvious internal improvements in the latest Watch Controller from the original, I am sure there has been similar improvements in the Hammer from the original. I think my Thor was one of the first produced and it is working perfectly.

Thank you Wilson Audio for this wonderful complimentary new and improved Watch Controller!!

Except on the really low frequency material and movies one would never know the Thor was there. But a lot of recording have low frequency ambiance and you can see this when the Mac needles are on about one watt for no apparent reason. This low frequency ambiance makes a significant difference and is easy to hear. Also there are "thuds" and "bumps" in a lot of recording that no loudspeaker without a prodigious built in sub would ever pick up.

I am sure with the new stereo crossover any Wilson owner would discover a tremendous improvement to their sound with the addition of stereo Watchdog subs or stereo Thors. You are missing a lot by not employing a Wilson sub if you have a Wilson speaker. I would say with DAW's or Alexias go with the Stereo crossover two Watchdogs. With the Alexx stereo Thors or Subsonics. Wilson has created their new line of speakers to match seamlessly with their subs. As good as this older crossover sounds, I have no doubt that the new crossover sounds even better. Honestly, I never knew a crossover could make such a difference.

You all really need to seriously consider subs for the new Wilson line of speakers, if you have them. It is a characteristic/property/quality of Wilson speakers, especially the new line that they are extremely rugged. It is almost impossible to over load a Wilson speaker unless you make a mistake with the volume control. Many speakers easily over load especially on the low end with really low frequency material. Not so Wilsons. Therefore it is easy and desirable to use LP only.

BTW, I learned something really interesting about the phase control. PM me if you are interested.

Charles

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 04-11-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:49 PM

New Thors has been shipped. Hopefully installed by end of next week. I am really looking forward to my new updated Thors Hammer Galaxy Grey.

It's weird. My 9 year old Watch Controller failed. Wilson was so kind to give me a new one at no charge.

I thought, "Why not a new updated Thors in Galaxy Grey to match my XVX, so that my whole speaker system can age together?" My XVX is exactly 4 months old.

So a failed WC led to the purchase of a new Thors Hammer.

I have noted that the XVX has a really wonderful upper base frequency response (200-63 Hz). Many speakers fail in this area. It has a truly wonderful 100 Hz note that is very robust.

Last edited by Charles; 05-06-2020 at 02:29 PM. Reason: afterthought