AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 05-31-2017, 12:08 AM

Default S1200 u 3 d software upgrade too !

Same problems here with Audio HDMI issues ( sound locks in 3 secs but only on HDMI connections / optical or coax is fine )
Did the new software work for you Allan ?
I would appreciate a copy if possible so that I may try it as well.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:20 PM

Hey Dan -- I'm doing it this weekend. I had to get a lot of hardware out of the way and cables mapped out first before getting too deep into this one. Plus reading up on the specifics of cable type (null/straight through DB9) and then getting my old laptop with a serial interface that I keep for just this one purpose ready. I'll post more about the specific issues and whether or not it fixed them - I am optimistic though.

@DIGIHIFI -- Some friendly advice: You should get the FW from Krell via a Krell dealer. They need to know your serial number, EEPROM version and FW version. I've heard of people "bricking" their units by putting a FW meant for a different unit. You will need to know how to use serial db9 connections as an update interface. I've done this a few hundred times on various devices, so I'm comfortable doing this and have the gear to do it. It's not a simple update like putting FW on a USB stick and selecting "update" via the settings menu (there aren't any USB connections on the S1200U 3D anyway).

Also, would you mind explaining in further detail what's wrong with your unit? You said it locks on in 3 seconds -- that's about normal for the unit - it's not crazy-fast in locking in on multichannel audio. What steps have you taken to troubleshoot your issue? It might be something else that can be fixed without the risk. -- There's always a risk when updating FW on non-volatile EEPROM's. You have to ask yourself if the risk is worth the fix and be sure that it's not something like a HDMI cable behaving badly or something about your source device. Just saying, I don't take flashing FW lightly and it's a last resort kinda thing.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Default Successfully Upgraded Firmware

Thanks once again Ivan! I'm thrilled you were able to help!

The update worked and it resolved the issue I was having, HDMI would not handshake sometimes, and the audio would drop to stereo for some 5.1 sources. The cable required is a DB9 pinout to RS232 spec cable. I would not try doing this using a USB adapter to RS232; I've heard of this being a source of failures. It's a pretty standard connection for A/V gear -- my old Anthem D2V used the exact same cable to do ARC. It's hard to say what else was fixed since I was on a version over 2 years old. I'm sure someone at Krell has a changelog from 1.6 all the way to 2.0G, but that might be asking a bit too much -- besides, I'm happy so there's that.

FWIW, the S1200U has been the ultimate best pre/pro I've ever owned, and I've had just about everything (except Datasat). The S1200U sounds incredible, has the ability to create custom processing for every channel (EQ/DSP functions), and just the right amount of flexibility. Sure it doesn't have automatic room correction functionality, but it does give you the ability to do that manually if you have the appropriate gear and microphones. My only complaint is that it's a true Class-A unit and even in standby throws off a lot of heat. But I'm OK with that.

For a 5 year old unit, it's managed to stay in the game. It can upscale all sources (no 4K of course), process most everything (except Atmos); it does DTS-HD MA, etc. It is the best sounding pre/pro I've owned. Shame Krell made the changes they did the last few years. Their new gear doesn't do it for me. I'd love to hear if anyone has the Foundation processor and their thoughts.

This one is of the display on boot:

This is the OSD when something's playing:
Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 PM
AA Founder, AB Founder, Legend AV Owner

Bryan... outstanding!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) PS AUDIO PPP(8) RGPC 1200(20) RGPC POLE PIG(4) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, SVS SCISSOR LIFT, STEWART STUDIOTEK 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, ASC ACOUSTIC PANELS & BASS TRAPS, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM STARLIGHT HDMI, GOLD ECLIPSE CABLES & SILVER ELECTRA PC'S
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A200 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C3850 PRE-AMP, DP900 CD/SACD PRECISION TRANSPORT, DC901 PRECISION DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-58 DIGITAL VOICING EQUALIZER, T-1100 FM STEREO TUNER, PS520 POWER SUPPLY, SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, HRS-SXR CUSTOM 4V-4V RACK w/ M3X 1921 SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MS750(3) MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K01-X SE CD/SACD PLAYER, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) OPPO-BDP95, PS AUDIO PPP(8) PUREPOWER 1050(4) RGPC 1200(15) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR SUB STANDS(2) LUMAGEN RADIANCE PRO SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART STUDIOTEK 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO, SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, BRYSTON BHA-1, ASC ACOUSTIC PANELS & BASS TRAPS, FORTRESS SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S.
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD w/ OUTER RING & CLAMP, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, KLAUDIO RCM, HRS-MXR REFERENCE 4V RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X 1921 SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, PS AUDIO PPP, RGPC 1200, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP LOADED, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, ESOTERIC GRANDIOSO P1/D1 STACK, G01 RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO, HRS-SXR CUSTOM 2V-3V-2V RACK w/ M3X 1921 SHELVES, STILLPOINTS, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS IN RED VIOLIN FINISH, JL FATHOM F113(2) SOUND ANCHOR SUB STANDS(2) ASC ACOUSTIC PANELS & BASS TRAPS, GIK PICTURE PANELS, PS AUDIO P10, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S

Library System: ESOTERIC GRANDIOSO SYSTEM M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS(2), C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1 CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E03 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO, SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2 SANTOS ROSEWOOD, AERIAL SW12 SUBS SANTOS ROSEWOOD w/ BASES(2), CANTON REFERENCE K3, DALI EPICON 8 RUBY MACASSAR, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, FURUTECH SILVER ARROWS PHONO CABLE, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA PS8, RGPC 1200(2) STEVE BLINN COMPLETE CUSTOM RACK, ASC STUDIO TRAPS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE IC'S & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
Bryston/Esoteric System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS, BIT-15(2) AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE IC'S & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 AM

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I agree with Bryan that you need to get the firmware directly from Krell. In addition to EEPROM version and firmware version, there are actually a couple of different DSP boards used in the S1200U 3D (due to the CS497004 DSP chip discontinued and replaced with CS497024). The firmware is a little different for each of these versions. Krell knows exactly what you have based on serial number. This is not like the old days, such as the HTS 7.1 where the firmware could be shared around.

The latest 2.0G version (changed from 1.9G) was actually due to a bug I found in February and was quickly fixed by Krell. This bug actually affected the sound quality of most bluray movies. Essentially, when playing DTS-MA bluray movies through HDMI and having the Krell do the DTS decoding, it was applying dynamic range compression even though DYNAMIC RANGE was set to MAX / OFF in the menu. This is when the Krell display shows "DTS-HD MSTR". I found this bug when I discovered that the digital coax input actually sounded better than HDMI when playing DTS-MA bluray movies. The HDMI input just didn't have as much volume and impact/explosiveness and there was hardly any bass. Much better with the 2.0G firmware upgrade!

I will echo Bryan's comments that the Krell is the best sounding processor out there. It's unfortunate that it is discontinued. I guess the consumer market leans towards 4K, room correction, atmos, etc., instead of focusing on sound quality. I think this may be the last best processor of this generation.

The reason that the unit stays hot is that Krell keeps voltage on the main power supply section even in standby. Since it's a shunt regulated power supply (as opposed to normal 78xx/79xx regulated), the power supply itself operates in somewhat of a Class A mode and constantly passes voltage across the power supply transistors, which causes heat in the case. This keeps the power supply "warm" and ready to go. It can also cause the electrolytic capacitors to age and dry out over time. If you want to prevent this, just turn off the master switch on the back of the unit when you're not using it.