AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Mcintosh MC1.2KWs with Wilson Sashas?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has heard this combination before, and how it sounded?

I noticed TommyC posted pics of such an analog rig, here

http://audioaficionado.org/wilson-au...a-3-debut.html

but I'm really looking for some comments on sound quality.

Serge, if you're reading, how do you think such a combination might compare with the Lamm M1.2s and Sashas, particularly in terms of bottom end performance?

If I were to match the MC1.2KWs with a Mcintosh tube pre-amp, will I get some of that tube sound that I might get if I went with something like the MC2301 Mac 300 watt tube amps instead?

It's just concerns have been raised about whether or not the 2301s have the balls to drive the notoriously difficult Sashas.

Well, thank you very much in advance for any advice!

Keyser
Old 01-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze311 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has heard this combination before, and how it sounded?

I noticed TommyC posted pics of such an analog rig, here

http://audioaficionado.org/wilson-au...a-3-debut.html

If I were to match the MC1.2KWs with a Mcintosh tube pre-amp, will I get some of that tube sound that I might get if I went with something like the MC2301 Mac 300 watt tube amps instead?

It's just concerns have been raised about whether or not the 2301s have the balls to drive the notoriously difficult Sashas.

Well, thank you very much in advance for any advice!

Keyser
I don't think so.
I don't know if the 2301's could drive the Sashas, although I would expect them to drive any speaker in this planet.
The 1.2 are also wonderful amps.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 PM

I drove the Wilson Watt/Puppy 8's with the 501's for some time and then the XRT1K's with the 501's. When I switched to the 1.2KW's the change was quite impressive, keeping in mind that the 501's are wonderful amps.
When I later put the C1000T in the system, replacing the 500P, the "tube sound" was wonderfully apparent. The Gold Lion tubes however, are essential.
I have heard so many wonderful comments on the 2301's but never listened to them. I can say from experience that the 1.2KW's virtually have no limits in supplying power and I am confident that your ears would explode before they clipped.
Howard
Old 01-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

hkval, do you have any more comments on the Wilson/MC501 sound? Was it mind blowing? How does it compare to what you have now? In particular, how was the bass, especially with tube pre-amp?

As an aside, does anyone know of any online reviews of the MC1.2KWs, besides the Tone Audio one?

Last edited by keysersoze311; 01-26-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM

[QUOTE=keysersoze311;135751]Thanks for the comments guys.

hkval, do you have any more comments on the Wilson/MC501 sound? Was it mind blowing? How does it compare to what you have now? In particular, how was the bass, especially with tube pre-amp?

The Watt/Puppy 8's had a huge soundstage and definitely were the best W/P's to date but, my understanding is that the Sophia 3 and the Sasha's are levels above the W/P8's. I had the Witt, W/P5.1, Sophia, W/P7's and the W/P8's. Speakers are so much a matter of taste but, having lived with the XRT1K's for over 2 years, I have found the sound I am looking for.
The tube pre-amp actually improved the bass in terms of definition and musicality. Tube vs. solid state in an unending argument but, for me, the combination of the two is one of the best moves I have ever made in stereo.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM

I certainly like the MC1.2kw's with the Tubed C500 and I agree with the other guys here, the upgraded tubes are a MUST.

So far, I haven't heard a speaker that the MC1.2kw's can't drive....
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkval View Post

The Watt/Puppy 8's had a huge soundstage and definitely were the best W/P's to date but, my understanding is that the Sophia 3 and the Sasha's are levels above the W/P8's. I had the Witt, W/P5.1, Sophia, W/P7's and the W/P8's. Speakers are so much a matter of taste but, having lived with the XRT1K's for over 2 years, I have found the sound I am looking for.
The tube pre-amp actually improved the bass in terms of definition and musicality. Tube vs. solid state in an unending argument but, for me, the combination of the two is one of the best moves I have ever made in stereo.
Hi hkval,

I would be really interested to hear some more detailed impressions on the XRT1K and MC1.2KW combination. I've just been doing some online reading since your post, and certainly this looks like it could be a possibility for me. I would really appreciate any further thoughts you have

Keyser
Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Wilson's never quite did it for me and I have heard many. I was originally going to buy W/P8's when I went on my last speaker search and I ended up buying my XRT1K's. I have not heard a pair of Wilson's that I like more than my speakers, including the Sashas. That's my taste.

I am looking into trading my speakers for MartinLogan CLX's with JL f113 subs. I'm still on the fence. I adore the Mac's, but I'm getting the itch for a change. The CLXes are a very different sound and are superb. We'll see.

On your amp choices, I suggest waiting to hear the new MC601's. They could be exactly what you're looking for. With the savings over the 2301's or 1.2kw's, get a
C500. That should be the killer combo in Mac's line this year.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze311 View Post
Hi hkval,

I would be really interested to hear some more detailed impressions on the XRT1K and MC1.2KW combination. I've just been doing some online reading since your post, and certainly this looks like it could be a possibility for me. I would really appreciate any further thoughts you have

Keyser
I avoid comparing one speaker with another because someone always owns the "other". The line array design of the speakers allows great flexibility for placement and avoiding reflections from sidewalls. There are 74 speakers in each cabinet and it is ported through the top. Clean power handling is 1200 watts but you would disintegrate before that level was achieved. They have no particular distinctive sound but are just plain musical. They need quality electronics but will reward your investments. For me, they have no flaws and I have heard many of the very best out there. I added 2 JL Audio F113 powered subwoofers, not because they need it, but because it was an enhancement in soundstage and low end detail. Their major strength is the ability to sound terrific with any kind of music whether it be classical, female vocals or jazz. They are equally impressive at low volumes as with moderate but, at times, beg to be pushed. Find a place to listen to them with the proper electronics and you can decide for yourself.
Howard
Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 PM

Hey JRSystems, I got your message, but I'm struggling to see how I can reply, I think it may be because I'm not a subscriber. Would definitely be potentially interested, how old are the pair, and what's the condition like? I wouldn't be looking for home cinema set up, just stereo. I'd really need to demo a pair first though, and I'm not sure how quick/easy that will prove in the UK.

In the meantime, any further thoughts on the MC1.2KW and XRT1K pairing would be great, although you guys have already gone into quite a bit of detail. Just really want to know if this sytem will blow my socks off, any notes on digital vs analog would be interesting too.

Also, if one of you could maybe post a high res picture or 2, that would be great, just to get a feel for how the speakers look up close.