AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 06-12-2015, 05:37 AM

Default EAR 912 Tube Preamplifier

I've gone ahead and put in an order for a silver EAR 912 with black knobs and black handles (picture below is with silver handles).

As my system has expanded out with 5 tonearm / cartridge combos feeding into it, I needed a more full function preamplifier. This preamp has 3 tubes in the phono section, 2 phono inputs, step up transformers that can be used with either phono input, interstage coupling transformers, 2 tubes in the line section followed by 2 output transformers. It has 7 inputs, 2 balanced inputs along with 4 sets of outputs. A lot of versatility and will accommodate the full system as it stands right now.

I'm super excited and it is about 3 weeks out till it gets mailed over from England.

Another interesting thing is that I might be getting a full metal remote as opposed to the flimsy plastic one currently...EAR never has any quality remotes, just functional ones. That might be about to change according to the EAR distributor.
Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor
Old 06-12-2015, 06:43 AM

Have you compared it with the 868? I would love to hear the differences, I have an 868 as well.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:55 AM

Not yet I have an EAR 868 as well. I'll do an AB and post my impressions. Should be interesting!
Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor
Old 06-12-2015, 06:56 AM

I can't wait!

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:09 AM

Tell me about it! Its still 3 weeks out before I get delivery. Patience
Old 06-12-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaizada View Post
I've gone ahead and put in an order for a silver EAR 912 with black knobs and black handles (picture below is with silver handles).

As my system has expanded out with 5 tonearm / cartridge combos feeding into it, I needed a more full function preamplifier. This preamp has 3 tubes in the phono section, 2 phono inputs, step up transformers that can be used with either phono input, interstage coupling transformers, 2 tubes in the line section followed by 2 output transformers. It has 7 inputs, 2 balanced inputs along with 4 sets of outputs. A lot of versatility and will accommodate the full system as it stands right now.

I'm super excited and it is about 3 weeks out till it gets mailed over from England.

Another interesting thing is that I might be getting a full metal remote as opposed to the flimsy plastic one currently...EAR never has any quality remotes, just functional ones. That might be about to change according to the EAR distributor.
Congrats! Very, very nice. The blacks Knobs on silver looks very cool.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:38 AM

Shaizada...congrats on the 912. So presumably it will be replacing the 868/324 combo you are using right now. I too will be interested in your impressions as to how it compares to your 868 linestage and 324 outboard phono preamps. I have heard the 868 and it is an excellent preamp as you well know. EAR and Marten are obviously very synergistic as you also well know, so I am betting you will be overjoyed with the 912. Lots of pics when it arrives, please
Old 06-12-2015, 01:56 PM

Thanks Douglas and cmalak

The 912 isn't actually replacing the full combo, just the 868. The 324 will be running other turntables and connecting into one of the balanced inputs of the 912. The 912 phono inputs will both connect to 2 other tonearm/cartridge combinations so all 4 carts will be running into the system. I'll finally be able to do a longer, un-rushed pure AB between the two units and hopefully answer the age old question (as even I was looking for a definitive answer for myself). Should be a fun comparison session...

The 912 was my destination preamp and is supposed to get me off the merry go round
Old 09-20-2015, 04:18 AM

Need to update the thread....

Ok, here is the lowdown. The 868 linestage section sounds 90% as good as the 912 linestage section. In fact, if not listening in direct comparison, I doubt anyone can tell the difference using the exact same tubes in both units.

However...where the 912 begins to pull away from the 868 is when the phono section is being used. The 912 phono is a better sounding phono compared to all three, the 324, the 88PB and the 868 internal phono, while being extremely versatile allowing 2 MC/MM inputs.

Also, the 912 eliminates an extra power cord and interconnect using an outboard phono. Having a world class phono transformer coupled to the linestage using interstage coupling transformers is just another level of clarity and immediacy. Overall, I am very very happy with the upgrade.

Now I am currently listening to the EAR Dac 4/Acute 4 digital setup vs. my EAR Dacute

Here we go again!