AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Greetings from NC

Default Cabledyne Reference Silver Cables Review Part 1

Cabledyne Reference Silver Cables, Part 1

One of my frustrations with cable manufacturers has been product lines with various tiers of cables and levels within the tiers. This approach may be to provide the market with cables of different capabilities and price points to meet the needs of the consumer ranging from the average “big box” shopper to the audiophile. My frustration stems from feeling at a given price point I could end up with a lesser quality cable than what is available just one-step up. This is difficult to determine since there is very little opportunity to listen to the merits of each cable so a consumer can decide at what price the point of diminishing returns occurs and the sweet spot within a given price range is achieved.

What I like about Cabledyne is that they have simplified the selection process by providing two types of cables with the same level of build quality. The choice by the consumer is therefore not so much on price but what they want to achieve from their audio system.

Cabledyne’s Reference cables are available in copper or silver wire. The company’s web site states, “Our copper cables are slightly warmer and full bodied whereas our silver cables are more open and detailed. Our silver cables are not bright, edgy, or grainy. They are more analytical than our copper cables and more revealing of the signal source. This allows the audiophile to choose the optimal cable based on personal preferences, system tonal balance, recordings, and budget.”

While some could argue the cable should play no part in the reproduction of the music, I believe every piece of equipment or cable has a tendency to leave its imprint on what is heard from the music. I think the choice from Cabledyne of either copper or silver is based mainly on what you want to achieve from your system and I appreciate this simpler, straightforward approach.

The Cabledyne web site (Cabledyne - Audiophile High-end Audio Cables) provides extensive information on their products that include Interconnect Cables both XLR balanced and RCA unbalanced, Speaker Cables, Power Cords, Digital Cables both XLR and RCA, USB Cables, Jumpers and Power Outlets.

The common attributes of each cable line are as follows:

• Solid square wire conductors: The 6N (99.9999% Ultra-Pure-Oxygen-Free) monocrystal structure allows unimpeded signal propagation by eliminating grain boundaries. Square wire has better high frequency extension than ordinary round wire by allowing tighter winding geometries and improved conductor coupling. We employ only optimally sized single conductors per phase as multiple conductors create time smearing of the signal.
• Fluoropolymer dielectrics: Hyflon MFA air core tubing with no fillers for the absolute lowest signal dissipation next to a perfect vacuum. This tubing has the lowest dissipation factor compared to Polyethylene, FEP, and PTFE Teflon found in other products. The tubing is sealed air-tight to prevent conductor contamination.
• True EMI shield: Our exclusive Inconel chromium alloy metal cable jacket prevents electromagnetic noise contamination of the signal. The flexible non-magnetic metal sheath also eliminates additional dielectric loss and sonic coloration (loss of ultimate clarity) created by conventional plastic cable jackets (PVC and braids).
• Select connectors: Sonically screened and design matched plugs and spades by Cardas, Xhadow, Wattgate, Furutech, Switchcraft, Hubbell, and KLS. Termination methods employ machined-crimped contact points (where applicable) and soldering with eutectic formulated silver solder.

My system consists of a McIntosh C2300 tube preamp connected to a pair of McIntosh MC275 VI tube amps running mono at 150 watts each. The speakers are Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamonds. I am using 6’ stock power cords, 2-meter Audioquest Columbia XLR interconnects and 10’ Audioquest Rocket 88 bi-wire speaker cables. I already have what could be characterized as a “warm” system so I chose to review the silver cables. The hope is to open up my system and provide more detail. If I had a solid-state system I may have chosen the copper series in anticipation of achieving a more full-bodied warmth. My thinking is that my choice should augment my system but not add too much or take away from it.

I received three 2 meter Reference Silver power cords for the tube preamp and the two tube mono amps, a pair of 2 meter Reference Silver XLR interconnects for the preamp to amp connection, and a pair of 3 meter Reference Silver bi-wire speaker cables. Since I have multiple products to review I will do so over the course of the next few weeks so I can provide the appropriate level of attention to each. My method will be to start with the system as currently set up and introduce each new Cabledyne cable one at a time leaving the new cable in place as I move to the next cable. I will start with the power cords and move from there to the interconnects and finally the speaker cables. Once I have all the Cabledyne cables connected I will then switch back to the original cables and compare the results.

Earlier I stated that I like the simplicity of the product line. This simplicity carries over to the packaging. The cables showed up at my door in a regular large flat rate priority mail USPS box. Inside of the box was individual envelopes silver in color with bubble type protection. I was thinking that audiophile cables usually have a more elaborate presentation but I appreciate that I pay for the cables and not for a wrapper that strokes my ego. I place all my boxes in the attic and the last time I checked the attic does not care if the box consists of an exotic wood case.

The cables are another matter in that they are not so simple. The outside skin of each cable consists of finely woven strands of what the company calls an Inconel chromium alloy metal cable jacket. The Inconel chromium alloy was originally developed as a super alloy for extreme temperature environments such as jet engines. Cabledyne’s purpose of using this unique material is to prevent EMI from entering the cable. This should reduce room environment interference and allow the cables to not require isolation from each other. Also the Inconel cable jacket eliminates the need for plastic cable sheaths as insulators. Eliminating the plastic insulation in a cable can reduce the associated sonic coloration and veiling of the signal. They use instead as insulators a fluorocarbon MFA and wire filaments. The jackets are firm yet reasonably flexible. They are slightly metallic to the touch but not as much as expected given the material. It is interesting to give them a close inspection to see how the fine metal strands are woven tightly together giving a smooth finish to the touch. As the power cords, interconnects and bi-wire speaker cables are reviewed I will provide further description and photos of each. For now I can state that the fit and finish appear to be first rate.

One of the founders of Cabledyne is Ed Bowman. I have had a couple of conversations with Ed and I have found him to be very passionate about his work. He seems to genuinely care what his products will ultimately mean to his customers who are trying to achieve the very best from their systems. Ed even shared music interests and suggestions (and I can tell he loves low power tube systems). He made sure to let me know they look forward to taking calls or emails to discuss their customers systems and how best to match their product line. You can also obtain useful information from their blog. Cabledyne cables come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

Next Post, Cabledyne Reference Silver Power Cord, Part 2
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack

Last edited by jameslrock; 03-06-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Greetings from NC

This is the first installment of a multi-part series.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Jim... Great review; thanks for stepping up and taking the time to do it!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Conductor

I was remiss in posting my appreciation for Jim's review. I originally thanked him personally via email and I should of posted it here.

"Besides your work load, I know the effort that is required to review a product in detail and write the copy. I understand your priorities and I thank you for your efforts."

Ed Bowman
Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all

James.......Thanks for the first installment of your Cabledyne review. Looking forward to reading you impressions as the different cables are installed in your sound system.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A