AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 07-13-2011, 08:01 PM

I think just about any decent class A amp that can keep up with Sasha's demands would sound gorgeous with them. I have yet to hear something to the contrary.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcc View Post
Quanmer,
I just spoke to Paul, the importer for Wilson Audio in Taiwan, recently and he was very positive about the Momentums with the Sashas. Coming from a guy with very high standards I think this is high praise.
Ken
Ken, thanks for reply, me dilemma is : MX-R and Momentum has many in common, power rating, form factor, A/B output, just like Philip mentioned, if an amp can provide more oomph, and sounds like MX-R, that would be great.

My Tidal Contriva Diacera SE is not as efficient as W/P (I use to own W/P 8), so I need oomph more. MX-R is one wonderful sounding rig, but not enough for reproducing the whole symphony work, for the rest like vocal or jazz or pop, rock are no sign of insufficiency.

At the price range of Momentum, there are many outstanding choices out there, used FM Acoustics 801A (or even Bi-amped 611), Boulder, etc, Or Tidal electronics (Impact monoblock), are at closed range to find better dynamic/synergy than MX-R.

Hope I can complete the amp hunting soon!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahG View Post
I heard the Sashas with Pass XA200.5 monos yesterday, these Pass amps are glorious with the Wilsons.
Waouw, the XA200.5, never heard it, he must be magic. Tell us more of your experience. Which preamp was used?

In a few days, my XA100.5 will have a new companion, an ARC REF5 . I think it will be a great matching.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Philip, I will go Hong Kong on 26th, July. do you see any chance I can audit D.D. Momentum in HK? Who should I contact for arrangement.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanmer View Post
Philip, I will go Hong Kong on 26th, July. do you see any chance I can audit D.D. Momentum in HK? Who should I contact for arrangement.
quanmer,

I checked with the distributor/dealer here in Hong Kong, and unfortunately the demo pair of Momentums are currently loaned out for a 2nd review by HiFi Review magazine (the 1st review was done by Audiotechnique magazine), and the Momentums won't be returned to them until 3/4-Aug-2011 which is just before the 2011 Hong Kong High-End Audio Visual Show (5 to 7-Aug-2011).

If you happen to be around for the 2011 HK AV show, the Momentums will be on display. I understand that the Momentum monoblock amps will most likely be setup with Vivid Audio G1GIYA loudspeakers, Siltech C1 preamp, Krell Evolution 525 CD/DVD Player, coupled with Siltech cabling throughout.

In any event, I have mentioned your interest in the Dan D'Agostino Momentums to the distributor/dealer here in Hong Kong, and you can get directly in touch with:

Mr. Rex MA
Manager
Excel Hi-Fi Co., Ltd.
10/F. & 11/F., Grandcastle Commercial Building,
2T Sai Yeung Choi Street South,
Mongkok, Hong Kong
Tel. (10/F.): +852-2374-3122 (Rex MA is on this floor)
Tel. (11/F.): +852-2332-3980
Email (Rex MA): rex.ma@emg-excel.com
Email: mailbox@emg-excel.com
Distributor for D.D. Momentum in: Hong Kong, China & Macau

Alternatively, if you happen to be in Singapore, you can look up:

Mr. Ivan CHENG
Owner
Norman Audio Pte. Ltd.
No. 1, Coleman Street,
#04-45 The Adelphi,
Singapore 179803
Tel.: +65-6339-8286
Email: info.sg@normanaudio.com
Distributor for D.D. Momentum in: Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam

Hope this helps.

Philip

Last edited by psjl; 07-15-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 AM

Philip, thanks for so detailed info, and do you know how to contact Tidal distributor in HK? I want to try Presencio pre amp as well.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanmer View Post
Philip, thanks for so detailed info, and do you know how to contact Tidal distributor in HK? I want to try Presencio pre amp as well.
quanmer,

I have not interacted with the Tidal Audio distributor/dealer here in Hong Kong before.

However, as per their website, their contact details are as follows:

Audio Exotics, Hong Kong
Tel.: +852-9181-8291
Fax: +852-2169-3836
Email: info@audioexotics.com

Good luck!

Philip

Last edited by psjl; 07-15-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:09 AM

quanmer,

You're very welcome. I can see your dilemma; there are certainly many options at this price point. BTW, my friend has a FM 611x that he is using with Wilson X1s and he loves them. They are detailed yet relaxed and natural. My guess are that the drive may not be up to your standards though.

Happy hunting!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundslikemusic View Post
psjl,

Next month hifi show in HKG should be a good place were you can listen to the Sasha w/ the Boulder electronics as they did last year.
I agree that the Sashas w/ the lamm monoblocks are a good match. Wilson and Lamms in hi fi shows have a good synergy.
Good luck w/ the amp hunting... all the more makes things interesting & fun.
I just found out that the Sashas will not be on display this year at the 2011 HK AV show (5 to 7-Aug-2011). Instead the dealer will be showcasing 3 pairs of speakers - Wilson Audio Alexandria 2's, MBL's (not sure which one), and Zellaton (Emotion or Grand - again not sure which one).

Anyway, the Sashas with the Boulder 2050 was excellent, but the 2050's will definitely not fit into my rack (they're way to deep)! But the Sashas and the Boulder 1050 was a tad "dark" for me.

In any event, I do agree with you that my amp search has certainly been interesting and fun so far.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
I own W/P 8's and run them with Pass Labs XA 100.5's. You indicated a while back that Pass are not you cup of tea. I'm not sure why you said that ? You indicated your a solid State kind of guy for power amplification. The Pass are amongst the very best in that category. They are glorious with my Wilsons. Good luck on your search.
Don't get me wrong, but I do think Pass Lab amps are outstanding. I guess a lot of it had to do with when I auditioned the XA 160.5's at the local distributor/dealer here in Hong Kong. Probably it was the associated equipment used, or more than likely the room acoustics, but the sound came across as been rather "bland" and rather "unenergetic"/"slow". I actually asked if they could arrange a home demo with my Sashas, but according to the salesman, it was not company policy. I guess I was not one of their VIP customers, thus the standard reply given to "walk-ins" like myself. Anyway, their reply kind of stifled any further interest on my part to consider possibly pairing Pass Lab amps with my Sashas.

Last edited by psjl; 07-15-2011 at 02:26 PM.