AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Default Toy Towers + Musical Fidelity's M6i integrated

What do you fine (and much more experienced) folks think of the Musical Fidelity M6i integrated amplifier to be used alongside a pair of Sonus Faber Toy Towers?

Both brands are well-known for their "sweet" and "mellow" sound. Would this combination be "a little too much of a good thing"? Fatigue-free listening is certainly a priority for me, and I do not mind loosing a little bit of detail and "punch" as a compromise.

I am currently using a Marantz SR-5005 receiver with the Sonus Fabers (with surprisingly decent results), but I'm seriously considering the M6i for 2 channel only sessions. Since the M6i includes a "home-theater pass through" input, I could completely bypass the Marantz for 2 channel listening, and use the M6i essentially as a power amp to drive my main front speakers only during a 5.1 set-up (the Marantz would power the center channel and both surround channels).

The M6i has everything I am looking for at the moment:
- A home-theater pass through option
- 200 Watts. More than enough power to drive the Sonus with plenty of headroom
- XLR connectors.
- Excellent build quality (from the looks of it).
- Audiophile pedigree.
- Elegant and beautiful (to my eyes) design.

Digital source will hopefully be the Oppo 95 (once it becomes available), in order to take advantage of the XLR connection.

I listen mostly to classical, soundtracks, a little bit of jazz and some rock/metal.

What do you guys think of that combination?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
What do you fine (and much more experienced) folks think of the Musical Fidelity M6i integrated amplifier to be used alongside a pair of Sonus Faber Toy Towers?

Both brands are well-known for their "sweet" and "mellow" sound. Would this combination be "a little too much of a good thing"? Fatigue-free listening is certainly a priority for me, and I do not mind loosing a little bit of detail and "punch" as a compromise.

I am currently using a Marantz SR-5005 receiver with the Sonus Fabers (with surprisingly decent results), but I'm seriously considering the M6i for 2 channel only sessions. Since the M6i includes a "home-theater pass through" input, I could completely bypass the Marantz for 2 channel listening, and use the M6i essentially as a power amp to drive my main front speakers only during a 5.1 set-up (the Marantz would power the center channel and both surround channels).

The M6i has everything I am looking for at the moment:
- A home-theater pass through option
- 200 Watts. More than enough power to drive the Sonus with plenty of headroom
- XLR connectors.
- Excellent build quality (from the looks of it).
- Audiophile pedigree.
- Elegant and beautiful (to my eyes) design.

Digital source will hopefully be the Oppo 95 (once it becomes available), in order to take advantage of the XLR connection.

I listen mostly to classical, soundtracks, a little bit of jazz and some rock/metal.

What do you guys think of that combination?
I would not worry about what both brands are known for. I would worry about whether model A works with model B. Having said that, most of the Musical Fidelitys play very well with most of the Sonus fabers. Don't know if he still is, but Anthony Michaelson was using Cremonas at home, BTW.

I haven't heard the exact combination you're considering but given past results with the Musical Fidelity integrateds and small Sonus, I would expect them to mate quite nicely. Hopefully you have a local dealer where you can audition the combination and hear for yourself.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 PM

Thank you for your comments, metaphacts. Anybody else use any Musical Fidelity product? They seem to pop up in every other Stereophile issue and the reviews are usually positive, but I was wondering if anybody on this forum had any first-hand experience with the brand?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 AM

I use a Musical Fidelity M6i with Sonus Faber Concerto Grande Piano speakers and the sound is absolutely soothing and warm while staying clear and defined enough. It never sounds analytical though. I used a Krell KAV-300i before with these speakers which made the Sonuses sound more analytical. At times they even sounded a bit cold.

I like the setup with M6i better. Very happy with it.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdschouw View Post
I use a Musical Fidelity M6i with Sonus Faber Concerto Grande Piano speakers and the sound is absolutely soothing and warm while staying clear and defined enough. It never sounds analytical though. I used a Krell KAV-300i before with these speakers which made the Sonuses sound more analytical. At times they even sounded a bit cold.

I like the setup with M6i better. Very happy with it.
Welcome to AA!!!

You have one of the great Sfs of all time. Concerto Grand Piano is a very tough speaker musically. That M6i works well with it suggests that Toy Tower would be a piece of cake.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:20 PM

Thank you, rdschouw and metaphacts. Your comments are extremely helpful and just what the doctor ordered! Yes, the Toy Towers are relatively easy to drive (8 ohms, 89db), and the results I am currently getting with a Marantz receiver (rated at around 90 WPC) are pretty decent. The M6I would be my very first "audiophile" integrated amp, and I am hoping the overall improvement in sound quality will justify the significant difference in price.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Welcome to AA!!!

You have one of the great Sfs of all time. Concerto Grand Piano is a very tough speaker musically. That M6i works well with it suggests that Toy Tower would be a piece of cake.

Ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
The M6I would be my very first "audiophile" integrated amp, and I am hoping the overall improvement in sound quality will justify the significant difference in price.
Yes, you should be pleased with the results.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post

Ya think?

:

But, but, it's 87dB sensitive and 8 ohms nominal and I don't listen loud. How tough can it be??
Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM

It's not the sensitivity or nominal impedance, it's those angles that can present a difficult load for lesser amps.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
It's not the sensitivity or nominal impedance, it's those angles that can present a difficult load for lesser amps.

Sorry there is no sarcasm on/off button or smilie. My post was meant to be dripping with it. It was a follow up to your perfect response, especially , to my "very tough" comment.