AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslrock View Post
If you figure out a way to replace the four clips that hold the front to the cabinet please share. Thanks, Jim
Hi Jim,

I think I found a solution to the latches for the speaker grills. Looking at the Roger Russell site, follow this link McIntosh Driver and Crossover History which will take you to a sections called "Welcome to Roger Russell's McIntosh Driver and Crossover History plus Service Information including crossover networks, parts and hardware". Scroll down to Catches and Hinges. He references a company called the Selby Furniture Hardware Co. which is still in business. I found out they do not sell to individuals only businesses. I found another source which you will see further down in this thread. The replacement clips "Brass ball bearing type" that McIntosh used in the ML-2C are still being sold which should work on the ML-1C's I am guessing. There are different sizes. I will measure mine when I get home tonight to see what is the best size to try. Please see the attached screen shot of the catches.

~Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catch3.jpg (11.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by mgard; 05-12-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:19 PM

Old 05-11-2016, 08:27 PM

What a fun project.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:22 PM

I hit one hurdle today after calling Selby furniture. They only sell to businesses. So after Googling the parts I found another site that sells to anyone. It is called the HardwareSource and the link is Double Ball Catch, Solid Brass | HardwareSource.com

Below is the new site and part numbers. I placed an order so I will see how it goes. I screwed my woofers and midrange speakers together so the cones do not get damaged in shipping. Looks goofy but it should work OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catch4.jpg (17.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Catch5.jpg (12.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0592.jpg (42.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by mgard; 05-12-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Greetings from NC

I see you are getting ready to ship the drivers. Please share how you package these and the shipping information including the approximate cost to ship. The brass catch looks good. Are you going to match up to the size of the plastic catches or another size? Hopefully the screw holes match up or you are able to sort of center them so they line up. Looking forward to hearing more. Thanks, Jim
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack