AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 09-03-2015, 05:14 PM

Default Piega Speakers

I open this discussion because in my quest for new speakers, I listened to some Piega powered by Accuphase systems and liked them a lot.

I must say that my small (16m2) audio room is fully dedicated and acoustically treated, but I find that right now the 801 S3 "fill up" too quickly the room, especially in the bass region. To balance the things out I must quite heavily equalise and lower the bass output of the system, but I don't think it is an ideal situation.
It also seems to me that the 801 really "come alive" and balance themselves at a wattage that simply produce too much SPL in my room for my taste, before that wattage level they are not so dynamic, they feel a bit slow and sit.
Plus, they are very big and pose some constrain to positioning.

So I'm inclined to try some smaller speakers, probably more conceived and engineered for situations like mine.

At the shop, in a room not much bigger than mine, I tried a pair of Piega Classic 60 and a pair of Piega Premium 50.2, amplification and pre-amplification were Accuphase A-46 / A-70 and Accuphase C-2420 / C-3850.

The "C2" midrange/tweeter of the Classic 60 was especially good: very linear, precise but not at all fatiguing. The Premium 50.2 sport a more conventional configuration with a ribbon tweeter and a cone for the midrange: I found them a little less linear in transition between mid and tweeter, that in the Classic 60 is perfectly seamless.

Regarding bass, in both cases I think it was "more" than I'll ever need in my room.

But then maybe even smaller speakers would suffice: Piega Coax 30.2, with the same wonderful C2 Coax ribbon mid+tweeter but smaller woofer section, for example.

Some reviewer even said that he found the Coax mid/tweeter Piega more balanced in not too big configuration: woofers and mid/tweeter better integrated.

If you have experience with Piega, I am all ears (Aurumer this is for you ).

P.S. I'm not closed to other options, like for example Dynaudio Confidence C1 or C2 (I only listened to C4), Focal Sopra No1 or Diablo Utopia, Magico "1" spekers,... so if you also have experience with good, smallish speakers in small rooms, by all means they are very welcome.
Ideally I prefer not to have bookshelf with stands, don't know why

Last edited by Mattia; 09-04-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post
If you have experience with Piega, I am all ears (Aurumer this is for you ).
Thank's a lot ;-).

I am a really huge Piega fan, with currently 3 pairs of Piega speakers in three different rooms. I also visited the Piega office and had the chance to hear a wide range of their speakers under ideal circumstances.

I startet with a pair of TC70x, which was the same speaker that was later called Coax 70. I liked that speaker very much - until I met a friend with a Piega Master One.
The "Master" is absolutely coherent and has so much naturalness, especially with voices and instruments that I instantly fall in love with it.
The problem is that my room, especially dedicated for music, is only 16 m2 big, that means no chance for the Master One or the Coax 90, both with the bigger C1 Coax system.
So I was wondering and waiting when Kurt Scheuch, mastermind of Piega engineering, invented the Coax 90.2. This is a speaker which is comparable to the Coax 70, regarding the dimensions, but hast the C1 implemented.
I took a listen and this speaker was exactly what I had waited for. I instently sold my 70s and took the plunge for the 90.2. Until I had this speaker I was at a lot of fairs and traders and listened to other systems or speakers, but still I like the 90.2 the most, especially for my small room.
After that I got a nice pair of Premium 1 bookshelf speaker for my workspace. A few time later I got a pair of Coax 30.2 and a Linn Majik DSM for my living room and TV.

@mattia: I think I can give you a few hints to think about.

Comparison between Piega Classic and Premium/Coax: For me the Premium/Coax speaker are more coherent and on a higher level then the Classic speaker. They are more linear, more precise in the lower range and more sonic correct in every meaning. The Classics on the other side have a little more authority, that means they are a little bit stronger in the lower range and they are a little bit more forgiving regarding bad recordings. For older music or heavy rock they even maybe the better choice.
If you like natural reproduction and for a smaller room with lower range room problems I would recommend the Premium or Coax.

Premium or Coax, C1 or C2: You simply get what you pay for. C1 is better then C2. C2 is better then the Premium ribbon. With each step the music gets more natural and less reproduction.

Speaker size: For small to medium room you can choose between 5.2, 50.2, 30.2, 70.2 or 90.2. The 90.2 in my room works with only very, very small problems in the lower range. But you must be able to choose optimal position for speakers and listener position. In this range the 50.2, 30.2, 70.2 and 90.2 are very similar in low range performance and lowest border frequency. The main difference is that 50.2, 70.2 and 90.2 are able to play much louder then the 30.2. If maximum level is no concern you can take the 30.2 and will be very happy. If you want the best you have to take the 90.2 with the C1. This are the two sweetspots in the program for me (and that is the reason why I own both speakers).

Best regards
Sven
Old 09-04-2015, 01:18 PM

Thank you very much aurumer for the answer! It is nice to have an opinion about exactly the models I am interested to, not used in enormous rooms.

I am not particularly interested in high SPL, so if I'll start the Piega journey I think I might start with the 30.2.

I have a dedicated room BUT in the middle I also have the HT screen. So thinner speakers for me would be much appreciated regarding placement

Here you have my situation. In this case I was in the middle of trying to see how the 40Hz modal I have changes when I change position speakers (it changes very little, in any case. The only options were Modex Plates that lowered by 10dB and EQ).

Normally speakers are further from the front wall. But 801 have a large frontal width and are very deep, so something like the Piega 30.2 would be like to have nothing by positioning perspective

Last edited by Mattia; 09-04-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:52 AM

Wow, nice room and setup! Congratulation!

This should work very good with the Coax 30.2. It needs some space behind and to the side, but this should be sufficient. For music the 30.2 will be enough, imho and for home cinema you can probably add a subwoofer if you think some rumble ;-) is missing.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Go Dawgs

Mattia - nice theater setup. I love the Matrix 801s.....that's one of the pairs of high end speakers that really started me in the audio hobby. They will be classics for a long time.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 10-06-2015, 11:09 AM

audioguy3107,
thanks.

This is an old version of the room, now is more polished and the treatment is furter enhanced.

The 801 S3 (that I love) will for now be changed fot a pair of Pioneer S-2ex, just to try in the long run if a 3 way monitor is the way to go in my audio room.

With EQ and treatment, I tame the bass output of the 801 S3, but I don't like to change so much their nature. They will have much more room to breathe in the system on the living room, that is way bigger: 70m2 instead of 16m2
Old 12-03-2018, 01:28 PM

Has anyone any experience with the new Piega Coax 711? (To be powered by an Accuphase E-650.) Thanks.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurumer View Post
Thank's a lot ;-).

I am a really huge Piega fan, with currently 3 pairs of Piega speakers in three different rooms. I also visited the Piega office and had the chance to hear a wide range of their speakers under ideal circumstances.

I startet with a pair of TC70x, which was the same speaker that was later called Coax 70. I liked that speaker very much - until I met a friend with a Piega Master One.
The "Master" is absolutely coherent and has so much naturalness, especially with voices and instruments that I instantly fall in love with it.
The problem is that my room, especially dedicated for music, is only 16 m2 big, that means no chance for the Master One or the Coax 90, both with the bigger C1 Coax system.
So I was wondering and waiting when Kurt Scheuch, mastermind of Piega engineering, invented the Coax 90.2. This is a speaker which is comparable to the Coax 70, regarding the dimensions, but hast the C1 implemented.
I took a listen and this speaker was exactly what I had waited for. I instently sold my 70s and took the plunge for the 90.2. Until I had this speaker I was at a lot of fairs and traders and listened to other systems or speakers, but still I like the 90.2 the most, especially for my small room.
After that I got a nice pair of Premium 1 bookshelf speaker for my workspace. A few time later I got a pair of Coax 30.2 and a Linn Majik DSM for my living room and TV.

@mattia: I think I can give you a few hints to think about.

Comparison between Piega Classic and Premium/Coax: For me the Premium/Coax speaker are more coherent and on a higher level then the Classic speaker. They are more linear, more precise in the lower range and more sonic correct in every meaning. The Classics on the other side have a little more authority, that means they are a little bit stronger in the lower range and they are a little bit more forgiving regarding bad recordings. For older music or heavy rock they even maybe the better choice.
If you like natural reproduction and for a smaller room with lower range room problems I would recommend the Premium or Coax.

Premium or Coax, C1 or C2: You simply get what you pay for. C1 is better then C2. C2 is better then the Premium ribbon. With each step the music gets more natural and less reproduction.

Speaker size: For small to medium room you can choose between 5.2, 50.2, 30.2, 70.2 or 90.2. The 90.2 in my room works with only very, very small problems in the lower range. But you must be able to choose optimal position for speakers and listener position. In this range the 50.2, 30.2, 70.2 and 90.2 are very similar in low range performance and lowest border frequency. The main difference is that 50.2, 70.2 and 90.2 are able to play much louder then the 30.2. If maximum level is no concern you can take the 30.2 and will be very happy. If you want the best you have to take the 90.2 with the C1. This are the two sweetspots in the program for me (and that is the reason why I own both speakers).

Best regards
Sven
Hi Sven,

I am close to go for a pair of Classic 80.2. My liking are the clear mids and highs that are not fatiguing, combined with the strong low end that I prefer.

Testing a pair these days.

Dag