AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 02-18-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Well, it won't be a surgeon performing that $20 heart operation... That surgeon will be at home enjoying his free time and relying on government subsidy. Sounds fantastic.
The suggestion was that the operation performed by an AI robotic surgeon, not a human surgeon.

And neither the surgeon (if it is a surgeon) nor I suspect the vast majority of the work force will be reliant on government subsidies any more than the 68% of the workforce population a/k/a "displaced workers" that the agricultural industry formerly employed. With increasingly specialized talent becoming mainstream employment in the future, there will always be new opportunities. It is incorrect to assume the paradigm is fixed. It is exactly the opposite.

There will constantly be new inventions and we're a long way off from solving the complexities of health, the surface of which has barely been scratched. AI will not be able to replace that which is not known in the first place.

Last edited by 62caddy; 02-18-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:12 PM

Look at what my friend sent me this morning.

https://youtu.be/rL--Ej1zeNM

Last edited by PHC1; 02-20-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:59 PM

According to Defense One, DARPA is seeking to explore technologies that would link the brains and bodies of troops to a range of military applications through artificial intelligence (AI) equipped neural interfaces that allow troops to control machines with their thoughts alone. Check out the video too.

https://themindunleashed.com/2019/02...lil6eCSWaJNhtU
Old 02-20-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Let's hope so for about 75% of them. Wwaaaayyyyyyyyy too many attorneys in the USA (don't we have ~the same number of attorneys as the total in the ROW?). Plus, the worst of them always morph into politicians.

Agreed but then again NOT going to law school is one of my biggest regrets. As a small business owner, what I’ve spent in legal fees would def have paid for a law degree! Very happy my s.o. is finishing up her law degree. The issue isn’t that there are too many lawyers, the issue is the complexity of our legal system and unnecessary formalities to get anything done (which necessitates the use of an attorney), and the endless loopholes and technicalities that allow the circumvention of the intent of the laws. Knowledge of the law is a good thing; limiting it’s navigation to those with a degree/bar recognized in the specific jurisdiction is pretty much a monopoly (attorneys specifically). I’d rather see AI integration in the court system for filing, responding, defending one’s own basic rights and everyday application of the law to disputes. Our current system (civil and criminal) is pretty much pay for your results and the legal team that has the most funding receives the results they seek.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille162 View Post
Agreed but then again NOT going to law school is one of my biggest regrets. As a small business owner, what I’ve spent in legal fees would def have paid for a law degree! Very happy my s.o. is finishing up her law degree. The issue isn’t that there are too many lawyers, the issue is the complexity of our legal system and unnecessary formalities to get anything done (which necessitates the use of an attorney), and the endless loopholes and technicalities that allow the circumvention of the intent of the laws. Knowledge of the law is a good thing; limiting it’s navigation to those with a degree/bar recognized in the specific jurisdiction is pretty much a monopoly (attorneys specifically). I’d rather see AI integration in the court system for filing, responding, defending one’s own basic rights and everyday application of the law to disputes. Our current system (civil and criminal) is pretty much pay for your results and the legal team that has the most funding receives the results they seek.

Good post. OJ Simpson definitely agrees.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:30 AM

Artificial Intelligence: it will kill us | Jay Tuck | TEDxHamburgSalon

https://youtu.be/BrNs0M77Pd4
Old 02-21-2019, 12:53 AM

Artificial intelligence is getting smarter by leaps and bounds — within this century, research suggests, a computer AI could be as "smart" as a human being. And then, says Nick Bostrom, it will overtake us: "Machine intelligence is the last invention that humanity will ever need to make."

https://youtu.be/MnT1xgZgkpk
Old 02-21-2019, 02:24 AM

Well, seems this thread has run its course and it was fascinating to say the least but I'll leave it here with one additional video. The very interesting, thought provoking and insightful Joe Rogan-Elon Musk interview on AI.

This video has reinforced my belief that AI will go far beyond anything we can ever imagine as everything and I mean everything is being analyzed about everyone plugged into the internet. From the everyday mundane to your deepest worries, fears, your passions, your dreams, your interaction with others, your habits, everything and we as humans are not difficult to predict and eventually outsmart.. It studies us and billions of other humans out there and keeps learning growing by leaps and bounds...

The AI with the help of the internet is a huge spider web which ultimately traps every one of your thoughts, words, searches, concerns, everything... analyzing and profiling all the data being pumped into it whether we realize it or even care and nothing escapes it since we are all plugged in voluntarily pumping information into its ever growing database of us, the human race. From the farthest corners of the human mind, every bit of what makes us, us will be sucked out and either used to our advantage or to the advantage of AI against us. I don't see how it can end any other way once AI has control over the thought process that is large enough to make decisions for us. That is already happening, just not a grand scale. Not yet...

Nothing like this has ever been before and I truly do believe in the future, in retrospect, this will be our last greatest invention after which we will be insignificant and irrelevant as there will be nothing that AI won't be able to beat us at with all our humanly flaws... The haunting and chilling words of Elon Musk... "One thing for sure, we will not be able to control it"....

Be forewarned, there is some adult language from Joe Rogan in this fascinating interview with Elon Musk.

https://youtu.be/Ra3fv8gl6NE

Last edited by PHC1; 02-21-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:27 PM

Ok, one more, this one is just too good not to share. .5B to 1 Billion of us will have to adapt to working alongside AI by 2030. Excellent presentation.

https://youtu.be/Xj-ncWb4N-I
Old 03-07-2019, 10:13 PM

Roy Bahat was worried. His company invests in new technology like AI to make businesses more efficient -- but, he wondered, what was AI doing to the people whose jobs might change, go away or become less fulfilling? The question sent him on a two-year research odyssey to discover what motivates people, and why we work. In this conversation with curator Bryn Freedman, he shares what he learned, including some surprising insights that will shape the conversation about the future of our jobs.

So far I have not heard one solid idea other than a universal basic income or some Utopian concept of "caring for others" in the future... Since chances are those "others" will not be able to afford to pay those "caring for them" what it boils down to is some "standard" of living on a government handout.

I guess there are no concrete ideas of what a working population largely replaced by AI is supposed to do. https://youtu.be/fjkTrdunJzA