AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-03-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
I wonder why Ron C doesn't mention the amplitude thing on his response posted earlier. He only discusses that the mute is present until the file format is identified.
Well I mean, we are just consumers and hobbyists. What I am saying is speculation based on experience, testing and results of the testing. I'm not saying I can't be wrong on the specific implementation details. Just a guess.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:46 PM

Just doing some more testing, I did find a way to fix problem number 1 (missing the first fraction of a second on every album)

1) You must use JRiver
2) Set the following two settings under tools/options/audio
- Play silence at startup for synchronization - 1 second
- CHECK the box for "Do not play silence (leading and trailing) under track changes

With this configuration, the first track plays perfectly for me using USB. It helps also with issue #2 but does not fully make it go away. This is a MacBook Air with USB plugged directly into the DAC running JRiver 23 BTW. Also note, this seems to work for PCM. DSD album has the same issue as before...start of track 1 is clipped off.

Also, like I said I don't use JRiver and am not going to migrate my entire digital front end to JRiver, so it's really not a long term option, just putting it out there for everyone.

So in summary, if and only if you want to use JRiver, you can fix the first issue with correct settings, but only for PCM. You will still have the second issue regardless. I’m afraid that the testing on my end is quite conclusive - In a BEST case scenario, you solve one issue part of the time.

In my case, I am a happy user of Roon and also play DSD files regularly. It doesn’t really matter why, but I enjoy Roon because I like the interface, I like the modularity, I like that they have a killer application that works well on iOS, and I like that it allows you to use a Roon Bridge on a low powered computer endpoint like raspberry pi or microrendu, so you don’t need to have a Mac or Windows machine constantly plugged into your DAC in the rack. But let’s be clear, it’s not a Roon specific issue either. These are issues that are consistent across all other software packages I tested on Windows and Mac. It just so happens that JRiver has settings to work around the implementation issues.

Last edited by joey_corleoni; 03-03-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:21 PM

I'll try to answer these questions. First let me say that someone else on this site is using a MCD1100 as a transport because I read that he was using the MCT output (actually labeled DIN output on the MCD1100) to play his CD's and SACD's. He said it worked perfectly as does mine. A half second truncation is not "perfectly". Second my son who has a degree in IT worked with Mac for about 2 hours to download the Windows driver install JRivers 23 with the correct Mac settings and transfer all my albums to it. Then there was the de-install. All the settings were supplied to him by Mac. It worked absolutely perfectly from a sonic standpoint and the sound was wonderful, much better that through my MCD1100/JRivers 18 connection. We did experience a problem with the de-install of 18 which caused the computer to lockup. My son was able to fix this problem which he said was not Mac's fault. According to my son laptop computers are very unreliable machines and I have a 4 year old Windows 7 based laptop. He thinks that somehow the de-install program did not do its job on my machine and thinks I need to get a new machine with Windows 10. However, my sound is great and I'm just not going to do it unless it becomes an issue again. My takeaway and suggestion to you and anyone else is to go directly to Mac for help if you are having problems. The far more serious issue is the one with CD's and SACD's and I again would contact Mac concerning this. This would be extremely frustrating to spend this kind of money and not have perfection in playback. I would be interested to hear what they have to say, especially with the CD/SACD issue.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
McIntosh uses the same mute function when silence is encountered on all their dacs but afaik only D1100 owners have noticed the truncation of the opening note.
I got different results with McIntosh C52 and D1100, when I used MCT450. McIntosh C52 worked better with MCT450 than D1100.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I think some people are making this into a big deal and the problem may be with the computer they have if it is running windows. You will not likely have this issue with a Mac computer or a Aurender music server. Windows has always been a crappie os .

Well, considering the MCT450/D1100 is an $11,000 disc player, and my OPPO, at $550 operates flawlessly——yes, it’s a big deal.

Imagine buying a new 911 CarreraS, and it slips just a tad when shifting into 3rd gear—-not a big deal, right?...I mean, you can still drive it, right? Just a small nuisance, right?............... It’s a $150k Porsche—it better shift perfectly.

Would you be OK with that issue? I am willing to bet no.

It’s not so much that the issue exists (and it is annoying)—most mechanical objects have small issues that arise once they are placed into service. My issue is how the manufacturer has handled this issue—-by initially using the “we’ve never heard of that before—that’s a first”, to then not responding to correspondence for 4 months and burying their heads in the sand.

A simple “hey man, we are working on a solution—sit tight” would have sufficed...but radio silence.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv21 View Post
I got different results with McIntosh C52 and D1100, when I used MCT450. McIntosh C52 worked better with MCT450 than D1100.

Yep. The implementation in the D1100 is obviously faulty and not consistent across their own product line yet they won’t admit the problem.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 03-03-2018, 06:01 PM

If you guys have the excellent JJ Cale tribute album put together by Clapton, “The Breeze”, give it a try via USB. I am playing it right now, great sounding no doubt, but I bring it up as another example - On my system it exhibits issue #2 between just about every track. That is, after one track ends, it drops lock, then picks it up for the next track. End result is the first split second of every track is muted.

My normal setup for this, Roon —> Roon Bridge —> d1100 USB.

Last edited by joey_corleoni; 03-03-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Default McIntosh d1100 USB

This discussion is helpful. Because of possible explanations given up thread regrading JRiver settings, it dawned on me that the aurender conductor app also has a few advanced settings.

Sure enough, when I switched off the “Use Fade in/ Out” play/pause option, then it functioned perfectly with both aes and coaxial with respect to the 2 Beatles songs referenced earlier.

Image1520116420.276036.jpgImage1520116433.084017.jpg

Whether I had the delay set to none or 3 secs didn’t affect playback on the D1100 after the fade in, fade out was switched off.

Since the overwhelming bulk of my playback is via aurender versus MCT450, I’m thrilled to have a solution.

This explains why I had issues with aurender and David (1KW) did not have these issues with his aurender N100

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 03-09-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_corleone View Post
Just doing some more testing, I did find a way to fix problem number 1 (missing the first fraction of a second on every album)

1) You must use JRiver
2) Set the following two settings under tools/options/audio
- Play silence at startup for synchronization - 1 second
- CHECK the box for "Do not play silence (leading and trailing) under track changes

With this configuration, the first track plays perfectly for me using USB. It helps also with issue #2 but does not fully make it go away. This is a MacBook Air with USB plugged directly into the DAC running JRiver 23 BTW. Also note, this seems to work for PCM. DSD album has the same issue as before...start of track 1 is clipped off.

Also, like I said I don't use JRiver and am not going to migrate my entire digital front end to JRiver, so it's really not a long term option, just putting it out there for everyone.

So in summary, if and only if you want to use JRiver, you can fix the first issue with correct settings, but only for PCM. You will still have the second issue regardless. I’m afraid that the testing on my end is quite conclusive - In a BEST case scenario, you solve one issue part of the time.
Thanks Joey, those settings also work in JRiver 22.

I was getting close to picking up the MCT450 to replace my Oppo BDP105. I like the idea of the DIN connection for SACD playback. I currently just play the CD layer of my SACDs and CDs themselves via coax with no issues and spending thousands to introduce issues is crazy.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunpepe View Post
Well, considering the MCT450/D1100 is an $11,000 disc player, and my OPPO, at $550 operates flawlessly——yes, it’s a big deal.

Imagine buying a new 911 CarreraS, and it slips just a tad when shifting into 3rd gear—-not a big deal, right?...I mean, you can still drive it, right? Just a small nuisance, right?............... It’s a $150k Porsche—it better shift perfectly.

Would you be OK with that issue? I am willing to bet no.

It’s not so much that the issue exists (and it is annoying)—most mechanical objects have small issues that arise once they are placed into service. My issue is how the manufacturer has handled this issue—-by initially using the “we’ve never heard of that before—that’s a first”, to then not responding to correspondence for 4 months and burying their heads in the sand.

A simple “hey man, we are working on a solution—sit tight” would have sufficed...but radio silence.
If your this upset buy something else and be happy

Last edited by 1KW; 03-04-2018 at 06:18 PM.