AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 10-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddeophile View Post
As it turns out the Typhon QR is about ten days or so out from shipping. It’s in a “Build” status now so built to order. That forces me (oh how sad... ha ha) to wait a couple more weeks and live with the Triton v3 on its own.

Life is so rough. I’m so sarcastic it’s sick.
Good. That will give you time to have Triton V3 settle in and for you get get a good feel for how it sounds. LIfe is rough... . (I'm being facetious, too! LOL.)
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
Is "signal ground" now the preferred grounding point on electronics? When CGS was new Caelin mostly talked about grounding the chassis to the CGS posts(?)
I had wondered the same thing. I see that the Venom Ground Cable is available with an RCA connector so that would make it easier to target "signal ground". Just wondering which is best to aim for.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Last edited by kennyb123; 10-08-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
I had wondered the same thing. I see that the Venom Ground Cable is available with an RCA connector so that would make it easier to target "signal ground". Just wondering which is best to aim for.
Both are important. That's why its referred to as the Shunyata CGS/SGS "system"
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yep, that's the DTCD capability that is doing that. I had a very similar experience when I installed an NR-V10 from my Triton V1 to my power amp. And, this was replacing a Black Mamba HC/CX, which is no slouch.
Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, Stephen, but do you think I could expect at least a somewhat comparable improvement if a C-19'd Venom NR-V10 replaced the Black Mamba HC/CX that's packaged with a Hydra 8 v2 I've just snagged for delivery here sometime next week?

Thanks. And apologies.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, Stephen, but do you think I could expect at least a somewhat comparable improvement if a C-19'd Venom NR-V10 replaced the Black Mamba HC/CX that's packaged with a Hydra 8 v2 I've just snagged for delivery here sometime next week?

Thanks. And apologies.
Based on my experiences replacing my Black Mamba HC/CX with an NRV10 for my power amp using my Triton V1....YES.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Based on my experiences replacing my Black Mamba HC/CX with an NRV10 for my power amp using my Triton V1....YES.
Thank you much!

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:59 AM

Had an ifi groundhog (usb-gnd) on my workstation and put it on my main asus wifi 6 router instead as well as connecting the router to its own hdplex psu. I thought I heard a relay click just when I connected the usb-gnd cable to the Denali CGS. Everything was fine and apart from improving the main system the ATV4K downstairs seemed to improve it streaming quality. Blacker blacks and all that for both music and video.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:02 AM

Hi, can u share the photos of how it is being connected between the devices?

Thank you
Old 10-13-2019, 04:47 PM

I don't have a link to the Shunyata CGS PDF that is available somewhere. Maybe Puma Cat had one. I think I have a hardcopy somewhere.

But basically, the original CGS concept was to connect CGS ground cables to equipment not connected via PC's to Triton's or Denali's.

What I did a couple of years ago was to connect a CGS cable to chassis ground on the very same components connected to a Triton/Denali. You just use a screwdriver to pull out a chassis screw just a bit so that you can push in a small CGS cable connector under it.

Puma cat started connecting to signal ground on a device connected to a Denali/V2 via DYI cable and RCA connector.

I think that it might be good idea to separate SGS and CGS on their appropriate equipment. Currently experimenting here with running SGS to a dealerprovided Nordost QKore6 but QKore6 connects one end to the Shunyata CGS on the AC side not the DC side of the transformers. At the moment Extremely promising SQ.

Let me tell you straight up, this grounding thing is very confusing at first but it has gotten somewhat clearer now. What is also clear is that SGS/CGS grounding has alot of soundquality potential that you would not be able to access with modest equipment otherwise. I use a streamer which is about 1k, previously I used a cardslot in my preamp for this, but technology moves so fast. But a 1k streaming device might not have the grounding and noise reduction principles of a 20-30k preamp. But this is opportunity!

Last edited by crion2; 10-14-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:46 AM

Puma Cat did you find any improvement adding in your DAC signal ground you mentioned in your first post? Have you attempted adding in your amp as well?
My Triton v3 is settling in nicely now. Very excited for the Typhon QR and venom ground cable ordered a couple of weeks ago. Hoping they ship in the next week.
Compounding the fun is a new FPGA update (Windom) to my DS DAC that has IMHO a huge improvement over Snowmass 3.0.6. It’s still settling in. I’m running a USB stick with several tracks of varying Hi Rez music types from 24/88 up to 24/196 and DSF DSD files on repeat when not listening. 36 hrs on Windom and it’s significantly improved over when I installed it a couple days ago.
Let’s just say I’m enjoying the v3 Triton immensely.