AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Ice Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I finally caved in and ordered Foundation. Should be here in a week or so. Are yous till enjoying the 2 channel from Foundation? Or did you go back to using C50 for stereo listening?
After 8weeks of comparison, I really like them both. Since I listen to a wide range of music genre, I think its best for me to keep both. Each processor has it own distinction of music and sound quality.

C50 delivers warmer sounding less detail but perfect for my vocal jazz listening. Will handle classical music pleasantly as well.

The Foundation on the other hand, is very detail and dynamic. The sound stage is wider and delivers a bigger field of sounds. Its great for my Eagles Collection, Classical and Blue Grass. Forgot to mention, superb for blue ray music. The bass is excellent.

Congrants on your Foundation venture. Let me know your thoughts. I know you got Krell amps to match it.

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 PM

Finally got my hand on Foundation and had it for few days. I tried couple movies and I was amazed. (I was trying Marantz 7701 before this.) Conversations became much more clear, bass was tighter yet had more impact. Surround sounds were truly enveloping. Speakers literally disappeared. And this is without any level adjustment or room correction.
I had Anthem D2V 3D some time ago, which I feel had more focused and detailed sound. Foundation creates more ambience and presence.
I have yet to compare 2 channel performance to my Phantom III and ARC REF5. Seems like I will have a busy weekend
Old 10-08-2013, 11:10 PM

Can't wait to hear more comparison as would be considering foundation or Krell 1200u. Currently using Anthem MRX 700 as pre. SteveK you describe Krell foundation to have more ambience and presence as compared to Anthem ,if you could explain it a bit. Thanks Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 10-08-2013, 11:35 PM

I was looking at 1200u but my issue was need for 2 HDMI outs (and 1200 being twice the price).

I felt d2v was more forward sounding and "projected" sounds from each speakers. It sounded very good, but you sort of knew which speakers were making certain sounds.

Foundation, on the other hand, seems to create a soundstage between speakers. For example, on certain scenes, I thought there was an extra speaker between my right front and right surround. Almost like female vocal emanating from the center in 2 channel setup. So, the sound seems to be more "distributed" as if there was an array of speakers all around you.

On the other hand, Foundation's sound isn't as sharp or focused on certain scenes. For example, a bird chirping on D2V sounded like a bird sitting right over my left shoulder. You almost look over your shoulder to make sure there is no real bird. On Foundation, you hear the bird over your left shoulder, but it doesn't make you look back.

Hopefully this makes some sense... And as alway, only my humble opinion...

Last edited by SteveK; 10-13-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:47 PM

You are good
Thanks
I want to say lot of more things but I am working and my patients would not be happy if I take too much time between consults .
Will get back.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 AM

StevenK you will be surprised to hear that at the moment I have only right and left front and Mrx 700 makes speaker disappear and most of the vocal coming from center of soundstage and with wide soundstage not too forward not to my liking bit of width --not a flat soundstage but not sure if it's a complete bubble of music .
I am really not sure if it can be improved by Krell foundation .the reason I believe it can be improved as my MrX 700 is a basic Anthem Avr which I am using as a pre.
It's good to hear comparison between Anthem d2v and Krell foundation .
I will be very interested to hear 2ch comparison between KF and ARC Ref 5.
Thanks again for clarifying.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Ice Man

Congratz StevenK! Glad you like the Foundation. It the best HT preamp on a budget in my opinion.
Share us your thoughts between Phontom III and Foundation in 2 channel listening. This would be an Interesting shoot out as well.

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 AM

I initially went from Onkyo NR3009 to Anthem D2V and didn't find a huge improvement, at least to justify almost 4x cost. So, I tried few pre/AVR's in between, including Emotiva, Marantz, and Denon. I almost was tempted to try MRX300 as a pre... Now, I think I found a nice pre that I can keep for a while. While not inexpensive, it hits the sweet spot as far as prices go, compare to Krell 707, d2v and Mcintosh MX151, etc.

Last edited by SteveK; 10-09-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Hi all
I'm trying to update the software of my foundation processor through the network but it says "download error".
Please, where can I find the new software to download and upgrade through USB?
Or, can someone between you email me a copy of the latest software to do the upgrade via USB?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 10:04 AM

SteveK did you get time to compare Krell foundation with ref 5e .
If foundation is close to ARC ref 5 in 2 ch I will pull the trigger for Krell foundation .
Just waiting for you your opinion.
Thanks