AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 09-23-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Absolutely beautiful!!!

No need for the fireplace when you have all of that HEAT!!!!

The 2nd 275 must really bring those Elipsa's to LIFE!!!
LOL, you know, I thought about the same (about fireplace). I even thought about getting rid of the fireplace but that would affect my property value so I'm just pretending there isn't a fireplace.

Yes, the 2nd MC275 is really making a big difference. Elipsa's sound awesome.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
How difficult is it to access your TT inside that cabinet?

Pull out shelf?

Do tell...
It's not a pull out shelf but it has big enough opening for access. Besides, it works out great because I don't have a dust cover for my TT - it prevents dust accumilation and it's protected inside the cabinet. However, it is pitch black inside so I have issues with dropping the needle precisely, so I've placed an order for the light that goes into the cabinet. Photos to follow once it's installed.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Lucky # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-3G View Post
JONERVI,

Thanks How does your Elipsa sound with MC501's? They produce quite different sonics compared to MC275's. I've A/B'ed MC402 and MC275 but not MC501. MC402 was better at low frequencies, it had more definition and fist. MC275 was better at high/mid frequencies, it just sounds natural. Wonder how MC501 sounds like compared to the two.

My Elipsa/501 combo sounds heavenly, great mids of course, and no problems with a lack of bass or treble harshness as reported by some owners. Having migrated from Martin Logan Spires, there is no comparison...........the Elipsa's are so much more involving musically.

I have not powered the Elipsa's with any other brand or Mac amp. I'm contemplating trying a Conrad Johnson or Burmester for comparison, hoping they better the 501's, but won't be dissapointed if they don't..........I'll still have the 501's

Great photos, beautiful system you have............enjoy
Old 09-25-2009, 06:09 PM

1KW,

I just got done looking at your room, and it's simply inspiring. You have great taste The Cremona looks like real work of art, and goes really well with your room and McIntosh.

Anyways, I SERIOUSLY looked at the MC402 before going for two MC275 and did A/B tests extensively using various recordings with strings. I'm a sucker for violin and, man, the Elipsa/MC275 tube combo reproduced string instruments like NO OTHER The MC402 sounded awesome as well, but the strings sounded some what harsh especially if you turn it up. I'm sure the MC402 and other SS amps would sound better with other speaker combination - really, it all depends on the combination and equipment synergy.

If you are to go with a pair of Elipsa's, what are you going to do with your Cremonas? Both sound very similar if you sit in the "sweet spot," but they're different in "how" they sound. You'll notice a huge difference if you walk around. Whereas the Cremona M is very focused and has pinpoint imaging, the Elipsa is not as focused or pinpointing. Instead, Elipsas disappear as if the whole room is your speaker system, just like live performance. Add to that, Elipsas are more detailed, deeper, and reproduces music with more authority.

These differences come mainly because of their differences in baffle design - Cremona's narrower baffle offers more directional and pinpoint imaging, if you sit in the sweet spot. Many audiophiles prefer this. However, the imaging will disappear as you move away from the sweet spot, and the narrow baffle design is prone to environmental dependencies - the distance from the walls will greatly affect the sound of your speaker, for example. Try this - place two cardboards on both sides of the speaker. The sound will change dramatically, because you've just effectively changed the baffle design. The Elipsa's wide, elliptical baffle is less prone to the effect of surrounding walls, and radiates the sound in 360 degrees - same way the real instruments radiate sound. The Stradivari Homage and the Elipsa employ the same principle utilized by authentic musical instruments - violin's harmonic plane, for example. For this reason, they both sound somewhat different from the conventional, narrow-baffled speakers that are popular today.

To me, this isn't about better or worse, as they have different design philosophies. Which one better suits you depends on the types of music you listen to, your room, and your taste. If you listen to your music from the sweet spot and like pinpoint imaging, the Cremona is for you. If you listen to music from various spots, like big sound stage and natural sound reproduction, the Elipsa is definately for you. The Elipsa does imaging very well, btw, just not as fiercely focused as the Cremona. I listen to classical so I liked the way Elipsas sounded because they're closer to how real live performance sounds. If you don't listen to classical, the Cremona is just as good as the Elipsa.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Listener in Training

T-3G,
Thanks for that explanation, very nicely put. It's something we don't hear enough about - how a company's product line fits together across the spectrum. In this case, I would expect the same kind of comparison between the Amati and Stradivari, but at a higher level.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 09-26-2009, 07:32 AM

T-3g, Thanks for your kind words and your take on the cremona vs elipsa. Glad to hear that the MC275 sound great with the Elipsa's. If I ever decide to bring my MC501's to the home theater I may give the MC275 a try in my 2 channel room but right now I am enjoying things the way they are. I agree that when I went shopping for speakers that the cremona's as well as the cremona auditors both have fabulous pinpoint imaging when set up right and you sit in the sweet spot. It is not unusual for the sound stage to feel like you have a sound over the top of your head or have voices coming from between the 2 front speakers as if you have a center channel speaker for the vocals. When my wife first heard this she got up and walked between my cremonas to see if I had a 3rd center channel speaker hidden somewhere. The bass on the cremonas floor standing speakers is better then the cremona auditor's for not that much more money. The jump in price to the Elipsa is double the Cremona's, lets not kid ourselves that is a consideration and we always want what we don't have . Here is my opinion on the SF Elipsa. Great looking speaker which gets high marks with the WAF. The sound of the Elipsa to me is a much meater, fuller low end bass. Not boomy or overpowering like a subwoofer can be if not dialed in just right, but rather in a way which makes the music come alive even at lower volumes. My Cremonas need to have the volume turned up to exhibit this kind of bass. So for low and moderate volume listening the Elipsa is more involving and enjoyable as I do not have a sub in my 2 channel room. The midrange and high's are very simillar between the Cremona and Elipsa. You are also correct about the ease in which the Elipsa is integrated into a room which means you don't have to have your speakers a few feet from the back wall like I do. As far as string instruments go my Magnepans which I have set up in my home theater room are still the best sounding speaker I have ever heard for string instruments and the 6 foot long ribbon tweeter is awsome. I have them integrated with sub. as bass is not great at low volumes; at higher volumes they will rock the room with ease without a sub.. Magnepans unlike Cremonas or Elipsa's crave juice and lots of it ie they are inefficient speakers. The Magnepans are 23 years old and have been refurbished and sound like new now. My wife hates the way the look but I could not bring myself to throw them out because planar speakers just sound magical to me. Getting back to the Elipsa, one issue would be what to do with my Cremona speakers. I am trying to decide whether to add a sub. and keep the cremona vs the Elipsa and no sub.

Last edited by 1KW; 09-26-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
T-3G,
Thanks for that explanation, very nicely put. It's something we don't hear enough about - how a company's product line fits together across the spectrum. In this case, I would expect the same kind of comparison between the Amati and Stradivari, but at a higher level.
Hi 80B,

Personally, I would have grouped the Amati and Cremona M into one category, and the Stradivari and the Elipsa into another, due to their fundamental philosophical differences with the approach in their cabinet designs. To me, the Stradivari and the Elipsa sound similar in the "way" and "how" they sound, and same goes for Amati and Cremona M. Sure, the drivers are different, and they "sound" different, but while the Stradivari and the Elipsa integrate and disappear into your room, you will be conscious of the existence of the Amati and the Cremona M. I intended to use the Elipsa in the living room so the integration was an important part of my decision because I listen from various different spots in the living room.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Hi 1KW,

I totally agree on your assessment of the differences between the Elipsa and the Cremona M. I spent nearly a month unable to decide which one to buy. But after multiple trips to the store and listening to various genres of music on them side by side, I had decided that the Elipsa was for me. Then came the money part - as you said, the Elipsa is nearly 2X the price of the Cremona M. It was not an easy decision, but I wanted to take advantage of the "stimulus deal" that's going on right now ($17,000).

The dealer also offered me to try the Guarneri Memento @ $12,500 with discount, which was about $3,500 more than the Cremona M. Guarneris are great sounding speakers if you listen to jazz, vocals, and small scale chamber music, but they're not for large scale symphonic music or anything that has deep bass extention. Between the two, I would have chosen the Cremona M mainly due to the differences in scale and how cello and double bass sounded on the two speakers. My wife also didn't agree with the design of the Guarneri Memento, claiming that the finish looks plastic and the overall design reminds her of Pez dispenser. I can see her point, but I still think they're one of the best looking speakers in the world.

I agree that the Elipsa sounds much better at low volume. You can still hear everything at the right proportion even at a whisper quiet volume, which is definately important for my application in the living room. The Elipsas have higher potential and headroom to grow, and since you have GREAT electronics you should be able to enjoy the Elipsa for a long time.

BTW, since you and I probably have the same taste when it comes to the sound, I would suggest you listen to the MC275/Sonus faber combo. Not just for 5 minutes or so, but for 30, 60, or even 90 minutes. Just finish one album. Your initial reaction to the sound would probably be negative, as you're used to the sound of MC501, but soon you'll discover that you are more relaxed, and find yourself listening to music, rather than your amp, speakers, or cables themselvs

Last edited by T-3G; 09-26-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:35 PM

T-3G I am happy that you like your MC275 . I know a few people who have gone from the MC275 to the MC501's but not from the MC501's to the MC275

Last edited by 1KW; 09-26-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:57 PM

I can't imagine myself parting with the MC275. I might add a pair of MC501's in the future, but will never replace the MC275's

Know of any good amp switchers?