AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-25-2017, 02:44 AM

Default SP-3 with headphones?

Hi all--I'm just learning about and getting into headphones. I'd like to know if anyone who uses headphones a lot can tell me about the headphone output on the SP-3. What are the specs? Impedance, output voltage, etc?

How does it compare to a decent dedicated headphone amp.

I have an SP-3 and a middling pair of Audio-Technica somethings, and I'd like to upgrade, but before I spend a fortune on headphones, I'd like to have an idea of the quality of the source I'm using them with.

My source is a BDP-1, plus a MacBook Pro running Tidal and Roon.

Do any of you owners of the SP-3 use them with headphones? Have you compared them on anything else? Please let me know.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-25-2017, 11:45 AM

If you email James or Mike @ Bryston they’ll get back to you quickly. They have some of the best customer service on the industry
Old 12-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Dave, yes, Bryston should be able to help with specs but it is unlikely for Bryston to include a very high quality headphone out section in a product like SP=3. They make the BHA-1 for that purpose.

That doesn't mean it is totally useless! I am sure it will drive virtually any headphone (lower impedance and higher sensitivity much better) but of course you will get better results with a dedicated headphone amp. Nothing wrong with getting started with the SP-3 and if you find the headphone listening experience is something you will enjoy and want to invest more $$$ into, well, that's another topic for our "Headphones, Personal listening" sub forum here on AA. Come on over and we will help you spend some $$$.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishphan View Post
If you email James or Mike @ Bryston they’ll get back to you quickly. They have some of the best customer service on the industry
Thanks, will do. I know Mike a bit. He helped me a lot when I had to send my SP-3 in for repair.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:15 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Dave, yes, Bryston should be able to help with specs but it is unlikely for Bryston to include a very high quality headphone out section in a product like SP=3. They make the BHA-1 for that purpose.

That doesn't mean it is totally useless! I am sure it will drive virtually any headphone (lower impedance and higher sensitivity much better) but of course you will get better results with a dedicated headphone amp. Nothing wrong with getting started with the SP-3 and if you find the headphone listening experience is something you will enjoy and want to invest more $$$ into, well, that's another topic for our "Headphones, Personal listening" sub forum here on AA. Come on over and we will help you spend some $$$.
Thanks--I discovered the headphone forum right after I posted this thread.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Thanks--I discovered the headphone forum right after I posted this thread.
Dave, please be careful in your use of headphones. In my opinion, extended use of them can cause an imperceptible hearing loss in that the more you use them, the more you turn up the volume to compensate for a perceived diminished volume.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:03 PM

Thanks--I tend to keep them pretty low..At my age I have some hearing loss already.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:11 PM

If you are looking for a suggestion on which headphones to use with a headphone jack out on SP-3, the low impedance and high sensitivity is the best way to go. The headphones will not be over demanding and the dynamics will open up with ease from a built in jack. The Audioquest NightHawk is a such a set. 25ohms and 99dB efficiency. They are comfortable, fatigue free with a warmish and forgiving tonal balance. Look good too. http://personal.audioquest.com/nighthawk

Old 12-27-2017, 12:25 PM

Thanks--I have also ordered a dragonfly red and a jitterbug for use with my Macbook Pro. I have listened to the Nighthawks, but only through my straight MBP. And I think they were the old version, not the carbon.

Right now I am looking to kisten to the Focal clear, and the Mr Speakers Aeon open.

Last edited by moonhawk; 12-27-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Thanks--I have also ordered a dragonfly red and a jitterbug for use with my Macbook Pro. I have listened to the Nighthawks, but only through my straight MBP. And I think they were the old version, not the carbon.

right now I am looking to kisten to the Focal clear, and the Mr Speakers Aeon open.
Focal Clear will sound much more resolving, dynamic and open. The Aeon Flow is more relaxed and laid back, especially if you use the damping pads that come included. The Aeon Flow is more of a "fun" and "relaxing", "passive" listening set while the Clear is for more "serious" listening.
I also have the Aeon Flow and the Elear to compare.
Have fun and happy listening.