AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 10-17-2019, 02:39 AM

Default TiVo Bolt with Shunyata power cord?

In my main home theatre system, I am using all Shunyata V10NR/Sigma power cords a except to my TiVo Bolt which requires it’s own wall wart with captive power cord. I would like to use a Shunyata power cord to my TiVo Bolt, but because of the stock wall wart with attached captive power cord, I cannot. Does anyone including those at Shunyata know if there any way to get around this issue and buy an external wall wart for the TiVo which can be plugged into a Shunyata power cord?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:37 AM

It is called a linear psu. SBooster is popular. They should be able to power your tivo and then you can connect a venom to that psu.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:39 AM

Check your DC Volt and Ampere rating on your current wall wart psu.

Last edited by crion2; 10-17-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
In my main home theatre system, I am using all Shunyata V10NR/Sigma power cords a except to my TiVo Bolt which requires it’s own wall wart with captive power cord. I would like to use a Shunyata power cord to my TiVo Bolt, but because of the stock wall wart with attached captive power cord, I cannot. Does anyone including those at Shunyata know if there any way to get around this issue and buy an external wall wart for the TiVo which can be plugged into a Shunyata power cord?
I recommend getting a Keces P3, its only $399; Its only few bucks more than the Booster and it it is much easier to place on a shelf like any other component. Ivan carries them; you can get them for supporting different voltages. Check the voltage and current spec of your wall-wart, which I presume to be a SMPS. It has an IEC receptable for using with a C13 Shunyata power cord. Its about the size of a Mac Mini. It also has 1/8" thick solid aluminum case on all sides to prevent radiaton from getting out of the power supply. One of the problems with the Sbooster is the DC cable is captive; its better to use linear PSU that allows you to use a DC cable of your choice. For the Keces and TiVo recommend getting a Ghent Audio GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad (JSSG 360) DC cable of the shortest length that will work for you. They are built with Oyaide DC barrel plugs that are higher quality than the one on the Sbooster. Be sure to check the diameter of the barrel plug your Tivo requires; the Keces wants a 2.5mm barrel plug diameter. Ghent will make cables with different diameters on each end, if required.

For this application, the Venom V14 Digital is recommended as it specifically designed for this application (powering power supplies for digital devices). I would recommend this instead of getting an NR-V10 or NR-V12. You can order that from Ivan, too.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-17-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I recommend getting a Keces P3, its only $399; Its only few bucks more than the Booster and it it is much easier to place on a shelf like any other component. Ivan carries them; you can get them for supporting different voltages. Check the voltage and current spec of your wall-wart, which I presume to be a SMPS. It has an IEC receptable for using with a C13 Shunyata power cord. Its about the size of a Mac Mini. It also has 1/8" thick solid aluminum case on all sides to prevent radiaton from getting out of the power supply. One of the problems with the Sbooster is the DC cable is captive; its better to use linear PSU that allows you to use a DC cable of your choice. For the Keces and TiVo recommend getting a Ghent Audio GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad (JSSG 360) DC cable of the shortest length that will work for you. They are built with Oyaide DC barrel plugs that are higher quality than the one on the Sbooster. Be sure to check the diameter of the barrel plug your Tivo requires; the Keces wants a 2.5mm barrel plug diameter. Ghent will make cables with different diameters on each end, if required.

For this application, the Venom V14 Digital is recommended as it specifically designed for this application (powering power supplies for digital devices). I would recommend this instead of getting an NR-V10 or NR-V12. You can order that from Ivan, too.
PUMA CAT:
Thank you so very much for all this useful and most helpful information. I’ve already checked into both the Keces and the Ghent Audio DC cable. I did measure stock TiVo DC cable which appears to be 2.5mm (diameter of hole). Also I’ll go with the Venom v14 with this application as you have suggested. I’ll get the Keces from Ivan.

We don’t watch much TV and doubt that network TV will improve due to all the data compression that the networks use, but my main concern is noise generated to other components from the TiVo which runs 24/7. Maybe this is overkill despite using Venom V10NR/Sigma power cords in there + a Denali and Triton, but that’s just me
Whether doing this will make a difference is impossible to know until I try it. For the price of admission, it is definitely worth a try. Again thanks.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
PUMA CAT:
Thank you so very much for all this useful and most helpful information. I’ve already checked into both the Keces and the Ghent Audio DC cable. I did measure stock TiVo DC cable which appears to be 2.5mm (diameter of hole). Also I’ll go with the Venom v14 with this application as you have suggested. I’ll get the Keces from Ivan.

We don’t watch much TV and doubt that network TV will improve due to all the data compression that the networks use, but my main concern is noise generated to other components from the TiVo which runs 24/7. Maybe this is overkill despite using Venom V10NR/Sigma power cords in there + a Denali and Triton, but that’s just me
Whether doing this will make a difference is impossible to know until I try it. For the price of admission, it is definitely worth a try. Again thanks.
Hi RLG,
Glad you found this info to be helpful.

Regading the Ghent Audio cable, pls make sure you get the Gotham with the JSSG 360 shielding, this is important, because Ghent makes other types of DC cables. The JSSG 360 shielding will prevent the transmission of high-impedance AC leakage currents (which are insidious). Get the shortest cable you can possibly use, because shorter length means less impedance (Z), this is particularly important for DC cables.

As for making a difference: oh, yeah, I am pretty confident you will observe a notable improvement with both the Keces P3, and on top of that, with the V14D.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Hi RLG,
Glad you found this info to be helpful.

Regading the Ghent Audio cable, pls make sure you get the Gotham with the JSSG 360 shielding, this is important, because Ghent makes other types of DC cables. The JSSG 360 shielding will prevent the transmission of high-impedance AC leakage currents (which are insidious). Get the shortest cable you can possibly use, because shorter length means less impedance (Z), this is particularly important for DC cables.

As for making a difference: oh, yeah, I am pretty confident you will observe a notable improvement with both the Keces P3, and on top of that, with the V14D.
I had an unused “Uptone Audio” LPS 1.2 linear power supply sitting around, so I decided to try it just to see if there might be an improvement over the stock Bolt wall wart. The owner’s Manuel stated that input and output jacks of the LPS-1 are standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm size DC barrel connectors. While it looked like the DC cables that came with the LPS might fit the TiVo Bolt, they were a bit too large and could not be inserted into the TiVo. The Keces website states that it also comes with 5.5/2.1mm and 5.5/2.5mm adaptors.

My fear is that after going to all the trouble of buying a Keses and the appropriate Ghentaudio DC cables, that the DC cables won’t fit either. I did some research and found that there were others who owned the TiVo Bolt who tried other aftermarket power supplies which were advertised to work with the TiVo, but would not fit according to reviews.

Perhaps TiVo has some slight proprietary size differences which won’t allow another power supply to fit with it?
Old 10-17-2019, 11:12 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
I had an unused “Uptone Audio” LPS 1.2 linear power supply sitting around, so I decided to try it just to see if there might be an improvement over the stock Bolt wall wart. The owner’s Manuel stated that input and output jacks of the LPS-1 are standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm size DC barrel connectors. While it looked like the DC cables that came with the LPS might fit the TiVo Bolt, they were a bit too large and could not be inserted into the TiVo. The Keces website states that it also comes with 5.5/2.1mm and 5.5/2.5mm adaptors.

My fear is that after going to all the trouble of buying a Keses and the appropriate Ghentaudio DC cables, that the DC cables won’t fit either. I did some research and found that there were others who owned the TiVo Bolt who tried other aftermarket power supplies which were advertised to work with the TiVo, but would not fit according to reviews.

Perhaps TiVo has some slight proprietary size differences which won’t allow another power supply to fit with it?
Look up the specification for the DC barrel plug for the TiVO. I'm sure Ghent can make something up for you, or you can source an adapter. The Keces wants a 2.5mm X 5.5mm.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:18 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:

Puma is dead on. I highly doubt TiVo uses a proprietary connection, why? It would add cost. Find the adapter for your UpTone to play around, but get serious and grab a custom made Ghent, it can be a bit of a wait, but well worth it. I don’t know the specs on the UpTone LPS, but be sure you know the volts to not under or over power the TiVo, amps will draw what is needed up to their rating.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:50 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Puma is dead on. I highly doubt TiVo uses a proprietary connection, why? It would add cost. Find the adapter for your UpTone to play around, but get serious and grab a custom made Ghent, it can be a bit of a wait, but well worth it. I don’t know the specs on the UpTone LPS, but be sure you know the volts to not under or over power the TiVo, amps will draw what is needed up to their rating.
Bingo.