AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-07-2019, 12:47 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Thanks for the response, my bad — I thought you also owned BJC at one time..........
just looking for some real logical reasoning why one well made low-capacitance interconnect, with quality RCA connectors and heavy shielding may sound different from another while eliminating the eye candy.

Ron
No, I own some BJC Ethernet cables, which I do not like.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
No, I own some BJC Ethernet cables, which I do not like.
That's Ok..........I'm not in that camp.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 05-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafenears View Post
Great review. Question for you, what's the thickness of the Venom interconnects? Also how stiff / flexible are they?
I don't know what the thickness of the Venom interconnects are, as a I don't have a pair here to measure with a micrometer. They are comparable, but not identical to, the diameter of AQ Columbia/Colorado.

As for flexibility, I have no way to measure "flexibility". I don't even know what the unit of measure for "flexibility" is....and if I had a way to measure it, I don't have the metrology to measure with any statistical accuracy or precision.

They are more flexible and easier to route than AQ Columbia/Colorado but not as flexible as the very thin Zu Mission "single cable" interconnects I used to use.

Both cables from both manufacturers provide exemplary perfomance for dollar, build quality, and fit and finish. You'll never hear me say anything bad about either company's products because both companies, on the whole, make really superb quality products at all their various price levels. Personally, I am very glad both companies make products for high-end audio, as both companies offer products at various price points that provide superb functionality at their various price classes and thereby, excellent value for money. Same applies for Wireworld, now that I think about it. I don't know whose products I would use if Audioquest didn't make an excellent range of "daily use" products like their Bridges and Falls series, e.g., Golden Gate and Big Sur range of cables that I use in the car or on the road, or if Shunyata did not make their exemplary and innovative power distributors and cords (or incredible digital cables), speaker cables, etc. I own and have used products from all three companies (WW, AQ and Shunyata), and man, I gotta say, life is good! We are living in a time of having an embarassment of riches.

I can't say the same for some cable manufacturers (e.g. Grover's Cables, which literally came apart on me...urg.)

Regarding the interconnects, if I had to start from scratch, I'd go with Shunyata; the performance is fully on-par (maybe slightly quieter on some content) with AQ, but as I mentioned, the Shunyata RCA plugs fit my component's RCA jacks quite a bit more firmly than AQ, and the cables are more flexible and easier to dress. Not that this matters in any way, but I also love the look and fit 'n finish of Shunyata's products. There is an overall design harmony to them across all product lines that I like very much.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-07-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Regarding the interconnects, if I had to start from scratch, I'd go with Shunyata; the performance is fully on-par (maybe slightly quieter on some content) with AQ, but as I mentioned, the Shunyata RCA plugs fit my component's RCA jacks quite a bit more firmly than AQ, and the cables are more flexible and easier to dress. Not that this matters in any way, but I also love the look and fit 'n finish of Shunyata's products. There is an overall design harmony to them across all product lines that I like very much.
Thanks, that's good to hear.

I'm looking into replacing my DH Labs XLR interconnects with something full copper. My shortlist is the Shunyata Venoms, Straightwire Serenade II (I hear they're coming out with version 3), and Oyaide Tunami Terzo XX V2. The images I've seen online of the Venom makes them look really thick and rigid. I have some tight areas to route the interconnect. Your review certain is helpful and makes me keep them on my shortlist.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafenears View Post
Thanks, that's good to hear.

I'm looking into replacing my DH Labs XLR interconnects with something full copper. My shortlist is the Shunyata Venoms, Straightwire Serenade II (I hear they're coming out with version 3), and Oyaide Tunami Terzo XX V2. The images I've seen online of the Venom makes them look really thick and rigid. I have some tight areas to route the interconnect. Your review certain is helpful and makes me keep them on my shortlist.
No, the Shunyata Venom are not thick and rigid at all. And the RCA plugs on them are really beautifully engineered and finished. Reallly exceptional.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:59 PM

I have Venom HC and just yesterday I received two Delta NR .. I remember a long break in for the Venom HC and sonically troubled .. not less than 120/140 hours .. while the two new Delta NR in this moment have 24 hours non stop music but the break in is less troubled .. i mean sonically ..
Old 05-22-2019, 10:59 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Keep us, appraised, Curio.

BTW, the topic of this thread is Shunyata interconnects, not power cables, so you might want to consider starting a separate thread with your impression, just so folks don't get mixed up what type of cable is being discussed.

Cheers,
PC.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:08 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Okay, an update on my Shunyata Venom ICs...

Mine arrived about 10 days or so ago, drop-shipped directly from Poulsbo from Ivan's order for me. Thanks, Ivan!

I put them into the second RCA output of my Schiit Gumby MB DAC, and I've been streaming music through them pretty much constantly for the last 10 days or so. I also have not touched them, so they've also settled physically (moving cables around can have a sonic impact due to an increase of triboelectric noise from flexing and routing them).

After 10 day or so of burn-in, I have to say...they actually sound better than Audioquest Colorado. They are quieter and as a result, there is more transparency. They also display better transient response and detail/articulation, like the sound of a drum stick on a drum in Anthony's Wilson's version of Kenny Burrell's wonderful composition, Chitlins Con Carne on his Our Gang album.

Dang! More Venoms are in my future, no doubt.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:03 AM

My Venom interconnects are scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

Impressions to follow.

- Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables
Old 05-23-2019, 03:26 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician View Post
My Venom interconnects are scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

Impressions to follow.

- Bob
Cool, interested in what you discover.