AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 AM

Unhappy Ref 110 hot resistors

I seem to be going through a phase of trails & tribulations with the ref 110's . Managed to purchased a matched octet of of Winged C 6550s after trying out other tubes that did not work for me.

Now, I just discovered a bank of resistors near the front right portion of the amp are very hot. 100 deg C or thereabouts. How can this be ? Both my ref 110s are like this.

Anyone care to share or check their ref 110 ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 02-03-2012, 12:19 PM

Did you see my email in the tube replacement issues? Your resistors and screen may have blown. In that case it will need replacement. Talk to ARC directly about this.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:21 AM

Hi,

Yep your mail has been quite helpful thanks. Noticed 2 blown resistors & cannibalised the other unit to have them replaced but temp still the same. My dealer working with factory on this. Hopefully to get some answers soon.

In the meantime, enjoyed a good session last night. Been a while since the saga of worn tubes.

Rock on !

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 02-06-2012, 04:31 PM

Factory replied saying it's normal. Hmm, this is good news right ?

sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling
Factory replied saying it's normal. Hmm, this is good news right ?
If the factory says its normal, then you should be ok.

The 3 resistor set from the ARC factory costs less than $10 per set. You should keep a stock of them with you since you have 2 amps.

Did you buy the KT120 tubes from ARC? I'm curious why you did not prefer it over the 6550.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM

I bought the kt120 from eBay. Even after 100hrs, I felt that they sounded shrill with sibilance. Not my cup of tea. Then again, I had ref 210 briefly & did not like them at all. Much preferred the ref 110.

Anyway, the moment I inserted the fresh winged 'c' 6550's, all is well again.

Regards,
Joe Ping

sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post
I bought the kt120 from eBay. Even after 100hrs, I felt that they sounded shrill with sibilance. Not my cup of tea. Then again, I had ref 210 briefly & did not like them at all. Much preferred the ref 110.

Anyway, the moment I inserted the fresh winged 'c' 6550's, all is well again.

Regards,
Joe Ping
To sound its best, I think the REF 210 requires dedicated 20A electrical circuits to support its power supply needs and sound its best. This would be about double of what the REF 110 would need.

I have just installed a new Ref 210 with KT 120s in my system and its sounding compressed and a bit lifeless, but definitely not shrill with sibilance. Rather, warmer and richer than the Ref 110. I am upgrading my electrical circuits now and hoping to set things right.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

The resistors you have pointed out look normal to me, they are not discolorred, nor do they look burnt. That said I haven't seen a schematic or measured them with a VOM.

If you are still worried power down and unplug your gear, wait some time for the power supply to bleed-off its charge. Measure them via the values listed on the schematic or get a copy of the resistor color code (standard) to determine their value. You may have to remove the tube/tubes associated with these resistors to get an accurate reading.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Regards,
Joe Ling

sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2