AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM

Default 3.7s.... Un-broken in

I have what is turning out to seemingly be a bad habit of listening to music late at night at low volume levels.

My 3.6s were far less interesting at low volume levels as they sounded a bit dull.

The 3.7s seem quite a bit better at this, BUT, I seem to notice that if the 3.7s are not played at somewhat moderate level for several days, they begin to sound more like my 3.6s did.

With a bit of moderate level listening for an hour or so, they seem to open up again.

I've convinced myself that I'm not imagining this, 'was wondering if anyone else has noted this??
Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 PM

No, since I don't have 3.7's, but it's an interesting observation.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
I have what is turning out to seemingly be a bad habit of listening to music late at night at low volume levels.

My 3.6s were far less interesting at low volume levels as they sounded a bit dull.

The 3.7s seem quite a bit better at this, BUT, I seem to notice that if the 3.7s are not played at somewhat moderate level for several days, they begin to sound more like my 3.6s did.

With a bit of moderate level listening for an hour or so, they seem to open up again.

I've convinced myself that I'm not imagining this, 'was wondering if anyone else has noted this??
I've found low level listening on the 3.7s much better than when I heard the 3.6's on low db.

However late night listening has become great since I upgraded to the Wireworld silver eclipse ICs and used the jumpers instead of the resistors... they definitely seem freer at all levels when run naked... listening at stealth levels isn't too much of a compromise musically at all... the foot still gets tappin and there is still flesh on the presentation... the silver brings the detail out without being at all edgy... and while coming through at not quite whisper low volume the music still has plenty of life and vitality.

I haven't noticed any hangover or compression of the panels in the morning after but they don't go for days with just low levels passing through. I would have thought that once the panels are really freed up after 600 hours or so that they would keep their elasticity between plays but can't say with any certainty... however it does seem like a great reason to turn up the volume just a bit every now and then anyway

That said I avoid too much low level listening as it's quite bad for your health

Last edited by audiot servant; 12-27-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 PM

I had thought they were broken in, but, since I've not really kept track, and I know it takes awhile, maybe they need more play time. I'm guesstimating I have 300ish hours...probably no where near 600 yet.

I'm warming things up a bit this evening with a bit of Beck / Que Onde Guero at way above moderate levels...if that doesn't wake things up, nothing will.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I had thought they were broken in, but, since I've not really kept track, and I know it takes awhile, maybe they need more play time. I'm guesstimating I have 300ish hours...probably no where near 600 yet.

I'm warming things up a bit this evening with a bit of Beck / Que Onde Guero at way above moderate levels...if that doesn't wake things up, nothing will.
Ask Beck to play faster... will have em up to 600hrs in no time
Old 12-27-2011, 10:50 PM
dpod4

I heard these bad boys take a year to fully open up. I am betting 1000 hours is the sweet spot.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:20 PM

I'm afraid you guys are probably right, 'just need to put some more hours on.

between the ET5& it's teflon caps, the 3.7s and the JC1s, I'll be broken in sometime late in 2012. if things would just move in a nice linear fashion from new to broken in, it would not be so bad, but when ya never know from day to day how things will sound, and, what component is causing the problem on a given day...

fortunately it's all worth it for those days were everything is sounding sweet and wonderful and the music gives ya those goose bumps.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
I heard these bad boys take a year to fully open up. I am betting 1000 hours is the sweet spot.
Think your right on the mark Darrin... at 600 hrs (which the local importer originally said was when he found the maggies get their groove together) was a clear point when I felt everything finally snapped into place... since then there has been a subtle relaxing as the presentation has moved ever so slightly back... wouldn't be surprised if they are still freeing up till the 1000 hrs point but these are very slight increments atm.

I have just been trialling some different power cables on the amp and working out the contribution of any upgrade is just soooo easy with the 3.7s... they really are an open window...

Graham
Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
I'm afraid you guys are probably right, 'just need to put some more hours on.

between the ET5& it's teflon caps, the 3.7s and the JC1s, I'll be broken in sometime late in 2012. if things would just move in a nice linear fashion from new to broken in, it would not be so bad, but when ya never know from day to day how things will sound, and, what component is causing the problem on a given day...

fortunately it's all worth it for those days were everything is sounding sweet and wonderful and the music gives ya those goose bumps.
With the CJs and JC1s it's definitely going to be a nice journey with plenty of lovely scenery along the way...
Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 PM

There are break in hours and break in hours

The ones played at a good loud level are the ones that count

Hit those panels hard to get them broken in....