AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-17-2018, 11:14 AM

Default Mcintosh Amp to drive MBL speaker?

Hi, has anybody tried matching or experienced a Mcintosh amp driving MBL mid size speaker typically the 116 models?
I have the MC 501 and considering the MBL 116F speakers.
Any constructive advices are much appreciated.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:48 PM

Stereo Times has a review of the 116 using the Mac 501 mono block as the reference amp. Speaker got superb review.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:49 PM

I bet that would be a great combo, the 501s have great headroom too and a nice sound to boot
Old 08-19-2018, 06:39 AM

Thank you.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Life is beautiful

Should work.
I've heard these speakers with a Burmester 082, and it seemed to be a good match also. And the McIntosh is much more powerful.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-19-2018, 05:59 PM

From experience I would not suggest mixing McIntosh and MBL. Then again you may have to pay a lot more to get better sound.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
From experience I would not suggest mixing McIntosh and MBL. Then again you may have to pay a lot more to get better sound.
Why? it got a very positive review with the 501.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:54 PM

I powered my 111f's with 1.2k's for a few years. The day I brought home the Momentum's to audition. I disconnected the 1.2k's and connected the demo amps. The Momentum's had so much more grip on the 111f's that I thought must have had the Mac amps wired out of phase. I reconnected the 1.2ks to double check that nothing was amiss. I never knew what I had been missing with the 1.2ks powering the MBL's. I then knew what the dealer meant when I purchased the 111f's, he said that Accuphase A-65's would be a better pairing than my 1.2ks'. Didn't believe him at the time.

I did indicate you might have to pay more and you would with either Accuphase or D'Agostino or Soulution. It may not be worth it for everyone and I fully understand that.

A photo from they day I knew the 1.2ks were going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Momentum Demo-2.jpg (85.1 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Still-One; 08-20-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I powered my 111f's with 1.2k's for a few years. The day I brought home the Momentum's to audition. I disconnected the 1.2k's and connected the demo amps. The Momentum's had so much more grip on the 111f's that I thought must have had the Mac amps wired out of phase. I reconnected the 1.2ks to double check that nothing was amiss. I never knew what I had been missing with the 1.2ks powering the MBL's. I then knew what the dealer meant when I purchased the 111f's, he said that Accuphase A-65's would be a better pairing than my 1.2ks'. Didn't believe him at the time.

I did indicate you might have to pay more and you would with either Accuphase or D'Agostino or Soulution. It may not be worth it for everyone and I fully understand that.

A photo from they day I knew the 1.2ks were going.
Jim, your comments are surprising considering the positive review with the 501 which is a much less powerful amp than the 1.2. However the 111 appears to be an extremely inefficient loudspeaker (80 db) possibly the most inefficient I can ever remember reading about. A 1.2 can output 35 amps continuously and 200 amps peak, probably significantly more than a Momentum. Possibly there is some basic incompatibility between MBL and Mac that specifications cannot discover. Therefore, based on your experience I would not buy a Mac amp for an MBL without a careful audition. I looked at the impedance of the 111 in the Stereophile review and notwithstanding its very low sensitivity, there is little to suggest that it is anything other than a routine 4 ohm load and in fact the impedance never dips below 4 ohm.

Last edited by Charles; 08-20-2018 at 04:52 PM.