AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 01-07-2017, 02:43 AM

I have just completed my Ethernet set up based on the CA site using FMC and Fiber optic cables to isolate devices which has resulted in a smoothing out of sound and a lower noise floor to hear more micro dynamics's, bass definition and leading edges. Highly recommend this to get the most out of your Ethernet connection with the QX 5 and all this improved SQ was using basic cat 6 cable. I do have the last FMC in the chain isolated using the new W4S PS-1 and tend to get another one for the fist FMC on the other side of my room.

I have purchased some WireWorld Cat8 Etherent cable & AudioQuest Diamond Etherent cable for comparison between router and FMC & FMC to QX 5 expected to be delivered next week.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:51 PM

FYI firmware C and a new network update was released December 19, 2016. I just found it.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:59 PM

Yes, my unit went through that when I turned it on a bit ago.

Teck, please keep up posted on that cable set up as those are two of the Ethernet cables I'm interested in as soon as I switch to Comcast and then set up my ethernet set up. I already got the PS Audio LPS with three power supplies for the QX5, TV and Mac Mini server depending on where I put everything.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:47 PM

Will do CT.

Setting up the optical fmc,c and getting it to work was a bit frustrating for me but what a difference and encourage everyone running Ethernet to your QX 5 to do it, for the price and the improved SQ it's a no brainer and isolating the fmc is a must.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtl View Post
Did you use AES or USB with the N10 to QX-5? Looking at getting a good cable as well but undecided on which yet.
I'm using a 1 meter Synergistic Research Galileo USB.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknik1 View Post
Will do CT.

Setting up the optical fmc,c and getting it to work was a bit frustrating for me but what a difference and encourage everyone running Ethernet to your QX 5 to do it, for the price and the improved SQ it's a no brainer and isolating the fmc is a must.
Thanks. I have a vacation in Nepal coming up and won't really be around until mid Feb to enjoy as my Vandy Quatro's are on order and it will be a month as I have a special paint finish. Have to send the AX5/20 back to have the crossover installed into the integrated amp. When I get back, I'm calling Comcast and switching. Then I'll get the modem and the converters. I already have the LPS as I said, so I'm hoping to have it all set up by the end of Feb. Can't wait. I was told that I can use Roon on my Mac Mini that's set up solely as a server. I have to figure out where I will be able to install it on the net to use it this way. It's never been on the net before, but he kept the wifi and bluetooth software in the system. I'd just have to turn wifi on I guess. I was going to bring the modem and router into the listening room so I don't have to run cable through the attic. I have a cabinet right in front of where the coax hook up in the room is and then I can just run the optic cable 15' or so above the moulding in a white conduit so as not to see it. Thoughts? Is it noisy at all?
Old 01-12-2017, 04:57 AM

Enjoy your vacation CT, I'm sure it well be worth the wait once you get all the pieces together.

I find in my system that the Ethernet with optical and the fmc running off the PS 1 there is more air and openness in the whole musical presentation. My next step is to get another PS 1 with the 6A modules that are due for release sometime this month from W4S and run the router off of it completely isolating the Ethernet system. My WW & AQ Ethernet cables were due to arrive today but have been delayed due to missing the connection flight out of HK to VN till tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:03 AM

they have new power modules coming out?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 PM

Yes, quote from Tony at W4S' in an email dated Dec 28.

We’re hoping to have the higher modules readied in January. The designer was talking up to 6A but I’ll have more details closer to that time.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:23 AM

DAmn, I haven't even set up the supply I purchased a few weeks ago. This is the one thing I hate about audio and some companies. I'm glad they keep getting better and better, but it also devalues what they sell and makes many of us feel that we can't keep up. My bad I guess I bought too early. Oh well. Thanks for letting me know. I'm sure it will only be incrementally better...