AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Linn is issuing a fresh, new look at Bach's Brandenburg Concertos - to be released in England on Sept. 9, and in the U.S. on September 24

Dunedin Consort - Directed by John Butt

I ordered it tonight from Amazon U.K. for faster delivery and much less expensive price than Amazon U.S.

Click on the link below the album cover image for an interesting Vimeo video clip about this new SACD.

Six Brandenburg Concertos on Vimeo
Thanks for sharing this, Julian.

Usually they do choral music, so I was a little surprised by this release, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Every single disc that Linn puts out by the Dunedin Consort is a total smash hit and the recording quality is always superb, of course. I'm going to be on the look out for it. Most likely will order it from my favorite UK source, Presto Classical.

Please do let us know your impressions after you get it.

Last edited by cma29; 08-23-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:52 AM

I listened to one of my favorites, Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto Opus 35, on the German Grammophon CD.

Sometimes the liner notes are as good as the music. IIRC, this concerto was rejected as being too difficult to play by the reigning Concert Masters at the time, and it was many years later before it was actually performed in public. It sure enough sounds like it is a royal pain to play.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
I listened to one of my favorites, Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto Opus 35, on the German Grammophon CD.

Sometimes the liner notes are as good as the music. IIRC, this concerto was rejected as being too difficult to play by the reigning Concert Masters at the time, and it was many years later before it was actually performed in public. It sure enough sounds like it is a royal pain to play.
You are either up mighty early or staying up mighty late listening to good music John. (2:52 a.m. Central U.S. time)

I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your photographs in other threads and I'm glad to find you posting here.

Your two recent insightful Tchaikovsky posts and your plans to see and listen live to the Dallas Symphony indicate that you may be a true classical music fan, and I/We hope you will visit here often.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 08-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Listening to . . . Van Cliburn in Moscow

Van Cliburn - Piano
Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra - Kiril Kondrashin, Conductor

Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini - Op. 43
Brahms - Concerto No. 2 in B-Flat - Op. 83

This guy is pretty good and I think he has a fair chance of making it as a pianist !

Recorded in the early 1970's in Moscow - excellent performances - adequate sound.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 08-24-2013, 08:33 AM

One of my father's favorite Chopin albums passed to me (the other, played by Oscar Levant):

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Special thanks to Julian, the father and curator of this thread, for starting it and maintaining its high standards.
Indeed! The best thread I've ever come across, and the source of much joy, learning, and friendship! Thank you, Julian.

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Life is beautiful

Ha!
I didn't dare to post classical music yesterday, I was so afraid of that 10000th post!
But now the spell is broken, we passed the milestone, and we're alive and kicking!
Congrats to everybody posting here, and a big thanks to Julian.

Listening to this on the radio, and it is very good:

I don't have so much Italian music from the 20th century.
But what I know from this composer has always pleased me a lot.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Thanks for sharing this, Julian.

Usually they do choral music, so I was a little surprised by this release, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Every single disc that Linn puts out by the Dunedin Consort is a total smash hit and the recording quality is always superb, of course. I'm going to be on the look out for it. Most likely will order it from my favorite UK source, Presto Classical.

Please do let us know your impressions after you get it.
Yeah Carlos, the "Dunedin Consort" is actually the "singers" and the musicians are usually referred to as "and players", but, I guess, because of the extreme popularity of the group, someone decided to call the whole shooting match just plain old "Dunedin Consort".

Whatever one wants to call them though, they are incredible musicians and I'm excited about this SACD.

+1 on Presto Classical - I order from them often too, but I was on the Amazon UK page and it is so easy to "order with one click".

Old 08-24-2013, 01:22 PM

I can't wait to try this proven classic on XRCD! I think Charles Munch is the benchmark version, at least for me; what I grew up listening to.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.

Last edited by Robert_Anderson; 08-24-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:28 PM

Listening to . . . . Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto

Jascha Heifetz - Violin

Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Fritz Reiner, Conductor

An RCA Living Stereo LP - Recorded in 1958

There may be better recordings of this beautiful music, but if there are, I probably don't want to know about them . . . Couldn't stand any better than this one. Heifetz was a geinius as was Fritz Reiner, the Chicago and the RCA recording engineers. A fantastic listening experience.

. . .