Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
That's not an option.
He didn't say it wasn't.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by william13 View Post
My room is bisected by a door in and a door out. If the first reflection point is a door, is it better to leave it open or closed with treatment?
Hi William, treatment would be the best move here. I have a similar situation in my room with a set of french doors at the first reflection point on the right hand side of the room. I made a bunch of acoustic panels for my ceiling out of Owens Corning 703 and covered them with a fabric. I ended up having a couple left over. What I do is whenever I'm in the room to listen, I bring out one of my leftover panels and put it against the french door. Easy to put away when I'm done since I have a closet in the back corner of the room. If you have the means and your room will allow it, I'd get something that would work that you could remove whenever you're not using the room for listening.
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 PM

A little more time listening to music and a little less obsessing about a reflection point is in order.

Keep the door open. It's the ultimate elimination of the first reflection point. Use good room treatment on the opposing wall.

You might also do a BLIND test [put your blindfold on] by having your wife open and close the door, seeing if you can tell when it is open and closed. Listen with your ears, NOT your eyes.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 12-20-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
A little more time listening to music and a little less obsessing about a reflection point is in order.

Keep the door open. It's the ultimate elimination of the first reflection point. Use good room treatment on the opposing wall.
Gary's right about this, the only thing is, does your door open into the room or out? Mine opens in and would get in the way of everything. If it opens out, leave it open unless you're disturbing everyone else in the house
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 AM

How about a temporary solution while you listen? I use RPG Variscreens (72" high) for RFZ. It's basically a large foldable and stowable BAD panel.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and humor. The only one I can not try is the "contractor thing" to move the door. It would be easier to build a new house.
Best
Bill

The doors open out. They are French Double doors. The corresponding door on the other side is just an opening to a hall.
I have no place for temporary standing panels to be put after use.
Those standing folding screens might have potential
I like the double blind test
Not obsessing is good.
Do practical things and calling it a day is great advise .......................I will try.

Last edited by william13; 12-21-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by william13 View Post
It would be easier to build a new house.
Best
Bill
Well then, you have your solution...glad we could help!

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM

Yes, when building a home, start with the audio room and work backwards. In fact, build two dedicated rooms.

Mike
Old 12-28-2012, 02:05 AM

Opening the door likely will solve issues relating to phase cancellations from the reflection, but could cause an imbalanced stereo field. I would absorb the opposite wall with a panel hung on the floor, and use a panel on a stand in front of the other door (or just hang a panel on the door if it's possible).
Old 12-28-2012, 03:00 AM

I have the exact same situation. Thus far I have gone with the option of placing acoustic panels at the first reflection point on the wall opposite the door. I keep the door closed and have panels placed at other points in the room including the 2nd reflection point. I am not in a rush to add a panel to the door (custom made) as I feel the sound is adequate and the addition of adding an ugly panel to the door would provide little benefit (for my room). My door is always open when the room is not in use, so again it would not look nice. I have eliminated the sound issues I had so I am leaving it for now. I did the panels slowly and simply kept adding as I felt it was needed rather than buying a whole pack at once. Trial and error... Good luck

See my system photos for more (home theatre... Not music a room).
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables