AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 AM

Thanks! Buying used is a great option for the amp.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Just curious,
how many have tried Stillpoints under their Magico speaker and what was their experience.
Thanks
Orb
Sorry for the late reply Orb. I have sets of Ultra 5's and Ultra bases ready to fit to my S5's, but we're waiting until they reach atleast 250hrs to make it easier to tweak the speaker positioning & get a final setup. The feedback I got through a Sydney Dealer was that the Ultra 5's made a BIG difference and they now can't do without them. I attached a pic of their main system. Fyi, they're using the long thread adaptors under the MM3's. I ordered the short thread adaptors for a neat connection.

I will report back my findings once I've installed the Ultra 5's, though i'm clocking up the hours slowly at the moment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (5).jpg (96.3 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 11-15-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:28 AM

NP David, putting those Stillpoints in I appreciate can be a right pain while still positioning
Will be interesting to see how well they work with the S1 and S3 with their feet, so probably will take the plunge myself for a bit of fun early next year.
Just surprised not many have seemed to mention Stillpoints here when one considers how well and often used with other high end speakers (such as Wilson Audio).
Anyway looked forward to your experience.

Thanks again
Orb
Old 11-18-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Sorry for the late reply Orb. I have sets of Ultra 5's and Ultra bases ready to fit to my S5's, but we're waiting until they reach atleast 250hrs to make it easier to tweak the speaker positioning & get a final setup. The feedback I got through a Sydney Dealer was that the Ultra 5's made a BIG difference and they now can't do without them. I attached a pic of their main system. Fyi, they're using the long thread adaptors under the MM3's. I ordered the short thread adaptors for a neat connection.

I will report back my findings once I've installed the Ultra 5's, though i'm clocking up the hours slowly at the moment
I had the MM3 before switching to Magico. On the MM3, the factory spikes are a bit an afterthought, just a 10cents screw so I can understand you get an improvement by trying with different feet.
On Magico the story is very different: The spikes and feet are designed as part of the overall speaker. I talked with Magico CTO about that at a show, and inquired specifically about Stillpoint. He told me that it was a very bad idea to try to find feet or spikes which work better than the factory solution, and that I should rather spend my money on better upstream components if I had cash to spend.
I believe that Magico also issued an official service letter a few months back to state they were against having users using custom feet. Keep in mind that Magico is so perfectionist in their design that if it would improve sound to use different feet they would do it (with the Qpod, they have all the technology in house to do it)

Last edited by jazzman; 11-18-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I had the MM3 before switching to Magico. On the MM3, the factory spikes are a bit an afterthought, just a 10cents screw so I can understand you get an improvement by trying with different feet.
On Magico the story is very different: The spikes and feet are designed as part of the overall speaker. I talked with Magico CTO about that at a show, and inquired specifically about Stillpoint. He told me that it was a very bad idea to try to find feet or spikes which work better than the factory solution, and that I should rather spend my money on better upstream components if I had cash to spend.
I believe that Magico also issued an official service letter a few months back to state they were against having users using custom feet. Keep in mind that Magico is so perfectionist in their design that if it would improve sound to use different feet they would do it (with the Qpod, they have all the technology in house to do it)
Thanks for your comments Jazz. I don't doubt the commentary from Magico is accurate, however you have to keep in mind that Porsche for example would never come out and say a famous tuning house like Ruf Automobile produces better turbo engines than them. Similarly Magico are not going to come out and say Stillpoints produce better feet (Ultra 5's with Ultra bases). I don't doubt the factory feet work as described, and are well implemented like all their other products. But I do think you should take those comments as general advice only.

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 11-18-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Thanks for your comments Jazz. I don't doubt the commentary from Magico is accurate, however you have to keep in mind that Porsche for example would never come out and say a famous tuning house like Ruf Automobile produces better turbo engines than them. Similarly Magico are not going to come out and say Stillpoints produce better feet (Ultra 5's with Ultra bases). I don't doubt the factory feet work as described, and are well implemented like all their other products. But I do think you should take those comments as general advice only.
It seems to me that the spikes that come with the S5 are not of the best quality (they blunt easily). I look forward to your experiment with Stillpoints.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Worth noting as well the Stillpoints are probably best deemed technically as anti-resonant control devices rather than spike/isolation/grounding.
I think their design is patented so other solutions would need to be a subtly alternative engineering product.

Thats said, I forgot about the QPods; are they only for electronics or also designed for use with the Magico speakers?
I assumed they were only for electronics.

Cheers
Orb
Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 AM

I have tried Finite elements Cerapucs with my Magico V3's, seemed to have a bit more energy in the low frequencies but less precise. Also the high frequencies seemed to emphasize sibilance in some recordings. I have put back the pointy spikes and never looked back.

I guess it will also depend on the floor, concrete, wood, carpet etc. For me, the standard spikes work best, with concrete floor and wood on top.

The cerapucs work well under my Wadia and Ayre disc players, no money lost there.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
It seems to me that the spikes that come with the S5 are not of the best quality (they blunt easily). I look forward to your experiment with Stillpoints.
Cannot comment on S5, don't own a pair. But I have to say that both on my S1 and in particular Q1 the spikes are very good quality.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:05 PM

Jazzman,
when you chatted to Magico regarding the spikes/resonance control such as Stillpoints; did you by any chance ask their views regarding the use of the Qpods with the speakers and if they are a worthwhile audition consideration for certain models?
I read somewhere that the Qpods can be used with certain models, although they did not go into any detail.

Thanks
Orb