AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 AM

Default 14Bsst/2 - What is an audiophile?

Music can be heard everywhere. Its in our car, its at work, in our house or even just on the street being playing through what ever medium is used. In our house we have our systems playing. Casual, we just walk around our home as the system plays and very often it invades our thoughts resulting in nothing more than just a distraction. Smothering our real affection for what we yearn as a musical event.

An avid love of music is the only recipe that will set you down the road to listening philia. Its not until we engage the music played that it becomes more than a just a listening habit. Sitting down and engaging the sweet spot is when it goes from music background to a real musical event. Here is where the audiophile takes over. Enjoy all the listening nuances of the sweet spot and go buy better gear and you officially have come out of the closet. There are no stats, no numbers of any sort that will quantify you. You are ninja and no one knows what an audiophile really is but the person at the point of all musical information properly layered and powered to the point of musical bliss. You are alone believe me.

I have been on this road for decades on and off. Its comes with a lot of great moments of "this is it", i got it and my system is done.... I really believed for years that my kef 104/2 were the most musical and stereo imaged speakers you could buy (and maybe they were). Or maybe my tastes just changed. I went from a speaker that was loaded front to back to a high floorstander that is narrow and not deep like my AZ's. Its just my taste atm and i feel quite settled.

The most important part of an audiophile is experience is the source. Its plays the band, it just makes all musical information happen. The source is boss. Its just that simple. Whatever source you choose is what you will hear amplified through your speakers. Next the amp power and AC is the heart of the system. Your power is the absolute make or break when it comes to the soundstage. It also tends to be the most expensive piece in your system. You get what you pay for in power unlike digital front ends that have come down in price.

Not really interested in getting into component priority.

My 14B has really allowed me to hear my system amplified. I love the speed of my bdp/bda. I also love hearing the tubes in my Response audio pre. The 14B is nicely paced with its high slew rate. I really feel this helps the presentation i get. I have never heard amps quite like the 14B or the 28's. They power the soundstage and thats it. They really do not power their own brand signature. I don't agree with (a brand signature on these amps) at all. Engaging the sweet spot musical instruments appear and dissappear with no hint of power brand. The 4B is more brand sounding imo. As you move up the Bryston line you get a wonderful choke filtered approach that clears all noise. You get instruments infront of you and thats it layered and powered.

To me this is what power is all about and moving into more brand sound or colored sounding amps adds fatigue and bandaid presentation. Its imo the wrong way to deal with power.

After years i have finally found an amp that proves to be an audiophile approach - an amazingly powerful uncolored soundstage.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Merry Christmas to all

werd.......No doubt about it, Bryston makes powerful, clean amplifiers. Glad to know you are happy.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 AM

Great write up! I am happy you found a system that you enjoy very much. I have great respect for the new Bryston gear and can't wait to get my ears on them. With a 20 year warranty, they are lifetime performers. I even love the look of them. Enjoy!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:02 AM

werd,

I'm curious as to why you went with the 14Bsst2 instead of the mono 7Bsst2's? I am just doing my research
Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
werd,

I'm curious as to why you went with the 14Bsst2 instead of the mono 7Bsst2's? I am just doing my research

With monos you are in now the realm of a dedicated listening room imo. I share my basement with kids. Unless you put the mono's right behind the speakers then its really not so much of an issue between the two. I would've stacked the 7b's so i did just that and bought a 14B (7b's stacked really). My speakers are not that demanding for power. That and my 14B slipped right into my old 4B spot for cabling. I didn't have to change up my cabling scheme or try and arrange for dedicated outlets to the 7b's. Dedicated outlets or long power cords into my torus which would be expensive. The 7Bs probably wouldve cost me another couple of grand getting my cabling in order.

Monos are a pain in the ass and with amps like the 14B out there and my listening volume levels.... why bother?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 AM

Makes perfect sense I thought some of those reasons would apply.

Do you feel all the new squared amps have the same sonic signature? Do you think (within appropriate power levels) there is a point where the amp(s) are a must have? In other words, at which amp do you think you get the same level of sound quality as the 14B/28B but with less power? I hope that made sense
Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 AM

Great write up indeed..........i thank Bryston to opening my eyes on my Audiophile Journey....and i thank Mcintosh for not drying my eyes out
Old 09-28-2011, 02:59 AM

You get the same tone on all the bryston amps but really the 7Bs or 14B is where it all starts happening. The 4B is plenty loud enough but it doesn't have the choke filtering. You want the choke filtering. This gives you all the air around the instruments, along with the immense power in 7/14s you get all the instrument play intact with prat. This is why the 28's are so popular because they have so much power and it seems to only the power the instruments. You get right around the tone of the instrument with no badgering brand color. Its really noticable with drum toms and impact. The amps power the drums and their drum brands. Once your system gets here its now in the realm of being organic and thats what drives my resolution and power sensations. I love that sound and its unique.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:10 AM

Thanks werd,

I really appreciate your detailed explanations. I feel the excitement you are hearing and will take a listen. Thanks!

Joe
Old 09-28-2011, 08:07 AM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Werd,

Great write up.

I haven't heard the Bryston Amps, but after reading your post, maybe I should.