AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 02-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default I believe now

I have had Minis under my K-03x for over a year and can’t say I heard any difference before and after. Well...

Today I installed some Ultra SS Blacks on my MC2301s and placed Black Minis under my C1100.

I followed Bob’s (Vintage_Tube’s) advice and removed the bottom cover of the MC2301s then installed the Ultra SSs. Worked great although my pressed on nuts stayed put.

Here are some pics of the in-process. While I had the cover off, I snapped a picture of the underbelly of the MC2301. The voltage jumpers are clearly visible and would making changing voltage very easy.

IMG_0779.jpgIMG_0781.jpgIMG_0778.jpgIMG_0782.jpg

Finally, just because.

IMG_0780.jpgC0D77293-A41B-4BCE-955D-5507CF7C2B31.jpg

As for the sound improvement:

Everything became better. Blacker background with cleaner & clearer separation of the instruments in space. The music sounds more at ease.

Now I am saving for more minis to isolate my SilenZio, G-02 clock and CR-1 crossover.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-15-2018, 08:18 PM

So from your experience I'm getting Stillpoints are most effective on tube gear? What led me to this is you stating you noticed no difference using the Mini's unter your K-03x.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:29 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default I believe now

Can’t say Don. They certainly work with tube pre and power amplifiers in my case (but I can’t split the improvement between the minis on my pre and the Ultras on the power amps). I will get more minis for the remaining equipment I have and see if it inches the performance up further.

But perhaps I will remove the minis from the K-03x and see what happens...

Might save myself some $$...
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-15-2018, 09:13 PM
Greetings from NC

Following the thread Craig!
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Craig, whatever you do stay away from Stillpoints Ultra 5s. They were such a huge improvement on my speakers that it felt like I got new speakers.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:09 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Craig, whatever you do stay away from Stillpoints Ultra 5s. They were such a huge improvement on my speakers that it felt like I got new speakers.

That should be easy at nearly $700 each. Plus without a special platform, Stillpoints won’t work on the Strads.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I have had Minis under my K-03x for over a year and can’t say I heard any difference before and after. Well...

Today I installed some Ultra SS Blacks on my MC2301s and placed Black Minis under my C1100.

I followed Bob’s (Vintage_Tube’s) advice and removed the bottom cover of the MC2301s then installed the Ultra SSs. Worked great although my pressed on nuts stayed put.

As for the sound improvement:

Everything became better. Blacker background with cleaner & clearer separation of the instruments in space. The music sounds more at ease.

Now I am saving for more minis to isolate my SilenZio, G-02 clock and CR-1 crossover.

Glad you were able to do this and hear how amazing these little suckers are, and yes these little guys are not cheap.

Last edited by Masterlu; 02-15-2018 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Against forum rules to advertise anywhere but our Marketplace.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:16 PM
Racing Hoopties

Today I completed my madness and installed Minis under my P10, G-02 Clock, SilenZio and CR-1 Crossover.

They have abolished all noise and make the music just ‘appear’ in front of me.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Today I completed my madness and installed Minis under my P10, G-02 Clock, SilenZio and CR-1 Crossover.

They have abolished all noise and make the music just ‘appear’ in front of me.
I love that 'in the house' imaging you're experiencing Craig. Congrats.

Forgive me, I have to go -- Nat is bugging me to take a break & go out to the screened-in-porch to have a smoke. Later.

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 02-27-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:58 AM

I had the same experience. Minis under the C-1100 first, and did not notice any improvement. Then the Ultra SSs showed up, and upon installing them under the MC-2301s, I became a believer as well!
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob