AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 02-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Life is beautiful

Default MBL 'Cost Is No Object' Show at Alpha High End, Feb 24-25, '18

Last weekend, as you have read in Jacques' fantastic thread, my wife, Spirit Crusher, Jacques and I went to the MBL show in Brasschaat, near Antwerp.

Jacques' review here: https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42303

MBL has been something special in my personal audiophile history.

After intense listening to music when I was younger, I got involved in other hobbies, to the point my best system was the Harman Kardon in my BMW!
Later, some 10 years ago, I bought an entry level B&W surround set (XT-series) with a Pioneer receiver.
Half decent for movies, but soon I wanted more. Much more.
I listened to Monitor Audio, B&W 800 series, KEF Reference,...
Until, some 9 years ago, I attended my first 'Cost Is No Object Show' in Antwerp, with a couple of MBL set-ups.
The 101E moved me in such a way I wept.
At that time, an MBL system was/seemed unobtainable for me, but I knew what I was striving for: to get as close as possible to that experience.

So I was looking forward to this show, a lot.
Also because it was a unique opportunity to experience their Reference Line.
Normally you can only hear it in Munich, or in Berlin, in their own showroom.
How Sammy managed to get MBL and their 2000 kg of gear to Antwerp remains a mystery to me.
He must be very convincing.
And we were lucky enough to be able to visit!

3 systems were demoed.

Let us start with the most modest one: the Corona Line, with the 111F speakers.
Outside that room, this integrated from the Corona Line:

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Life is beautiful

Enter the room, not the most easy one to photograph with all the gear towards the sunny street:

The Corona Line electronics, with a CD/DAC, pre and power amp each retailing for 6-7K).
The speakers: 33K

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Enter the room, not the most easy one to photograph with all the gear towards the sunny street:

The Corona Line electronics, with a CD/DAC, pre and power amp each retailing for 6-7K).
The speakers: 33K
Especially challenging as the wife and photographer had forgotten her tripod at home. All shots had to be hand-held. AAAARGGG, this was definitely outside my comfort zone!
Old 02-28-2018, 03:26 PM
Life is beautiful

The 111F is in fact a 4-way with traditional woofers for upper and lower bass.

Treble and mid units are the same throughout the lines:

Old 02-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Life is beautiful

This system sounded very good, with glorious mids and treble, but as we will later see, the integration of the bass and mids/highs could be better.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:43 PM

Excellent pictures and thanks for sharing Bart. I have a feeling this was a serious visit and even your wife was involved so.... I have only one question... When is your pair arriving?
Old 02-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Life is beautiful

If I'm not mistaken, Kimber Cable was used for this system.
I don't know if MBL components are very sensitive to different brands of cables.
You would think they are because they're very transparent and revealing.

True pieces of art.

Shiny, like their Berlin colleagues from Burmester, but in a totally different way.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Life is beautiful

Well attended.

An Auralic streamer was doing service here:

So, coherence quite good, but not state of the art.

This speaker is 100% passive.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:53 PM
Life is beautiful

Other gear, unemployed.

Total cost of this system: 50K + cables and streamer.
It seems that MBL is developing their own streamer now.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Excellent pictures and thanks for sharing Bart. I have a feeling this was a serious visit and even your wife was involved so.... I have only one question... When is your pair arriving?
Well ... the MBL-101 X-treme are definitely welcome to live with us... there's just one minor issue: funding!

May be we should start playing the lottery.