AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 11-21-2018, 02:10 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Swapped hard drive for solid state drive

My new Samsung EVO 860 1TB solid state drive arrived. I have been planning on replacing my office desktop computer's C: drive, a 1TB Hitachi 7200 RPM hard drive. The computer has two 1TB hard drives installed. The second hard drive is for backup.

I was inspired to give this installation a try after watching a YouTube video channel called ExplainingComputers. This link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTsq-HHz0Ss explains the hard drive cloning process and recommends a specific cloning software (Macrium Reflect) that can be downloaded free at www.macrium.com/reflectfree . The video is educational and worth watching if you are considering upgrading a hard drive to a solid state drive.

The cloning of my C: drive to the SSD was straight forward. I opened the desktop computer, disconnected the power and SATA cables from my backup hard drive, connected them to the Samsung SSD, then followed the instruction in the YouTube video on how to use Macrium Reflect cloning software. It was easy, and 2 hours and 1 minute later the complete clone of my C: drive was complete. I removed the SSD from the backup drive cables, reconnected that hard drive, removed the C: drive, then installed the SSD in a Corsair dual SSD mounting bracket that allows the 2 1/2" SSD to be installed in a full size hard drive cavity. Once slid in place and secured I connected the power and SATA cable, crossed my fingers and pressed the computer's power button. My desktop computer booted up immediately, fully configured as it was from the hard drive, all applications, files, wallpaper, app icons, even the task bar icons were intact, identically located and functioning properly. Microsoft Office and Norton 360 migrated properly, as well.

Did I mention this Samsung 860 EVO SSD is FAST? My boot time is now less than 30 seconds. My log-in screen appears in 12 seconds. Applications open so quick it is almost like they were already open and minimized. Web pages pop up faster, documents, files, pdf's, and photos appear immediately. This has produced a pleasant upgrade to my office desktop computer. Even the shut down is quick at about 8 seconds. Quite remarkable. Now my Hitachi 1TB hard drive is stored in the closet and will become my rescue drive if I ever need to recover from some catastrophic issue.

I got the Samsung SSD and mounting bracket from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-...b+ssd+internal . They just lowered the price to $127.98 a couple days ago. It had been $149.98 before that. The Corsair mounting bracket was $7.77 https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dual-...unting+bracket , and 2-day Prime shipping was free. For less than $136.00 I am now enjoying the remarkable speed improvement of this new solid state drive. Well worth it in my opinion.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-21-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 AM

W-o-w! Very impressive, Dan! Thanks for sharing. You've inspired me to similarly upgrade my computer's HD. I really had no idea that the price of SSDs had fallen so far, so fast.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:41 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
W-o-w! Very impressive, Dan! Thanks for sharing. You've inspired me to similarly upgrade my computer's HD. I really had no idea that the price of SSDs had fallen so far, so fast.
Curtis.......Swapping the out the hard drive for the Samsung SSD was easier than I anticipated. I watched Christopher's YouTube video several times to be certain I would not miss any important steps. I also purchased a USB to SATA adapter in case I might need it in the future on a computer with only a single hard drive, or a laptop without an internal SATA cable and power connector. Since I was able to open my desktop computer and make use of the backup hard drive's SATA and power connectors I did not need to use the USB to SATA adapter, but still a good connector to own. Booting my computer this morning was so quick. Everything is moving along and loading considerably faster. Color me a happy camper.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...ter+with+power

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-21-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:52 PM

Dan... you made a great choice!

I replaced the HD in my laptop with a Samsung SSD a couple of weeks ago as it was starting to make that noise. The laptop is much much faster to boot up and load programs.

When I built my music server and loaded my NAS box with drives I used Samsung SSD units in those as well.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:01 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Michael.......Thanks for your comments. Samsung SSD's seem to get a lot of good press. It seemed like my best choice. The speed difference has been amazing. In the morning when I boot the computer I have been used to a 2+ minute boot. I find myself smiling when the machine is ready to go in 30 seconds. Gotta love modern technology.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:48 AM

I went to a Samsung SSD a number of years ago and it is much faster. It is the only way to go. If you are using a swap file you might want to turn it off. It is not really necessary with an SSD and can put extra wear on the drive.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:46 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Dan... you made a great choice!

I replaced the HD in my laptop with a Samsung SSD a couple of weeks ago as it was starting to make that noise. The laptop is much much faster to boot up and load programs.

When I built my music server and loaded my NAS box with drives I used Samsung SSD units in those as well.
Michael... did you use this same SSD drive?
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 11-23-2018, 12:06 PM

My drive is a Samsung 850 EVO SSD. I read quite a bit at the time and there were a few setting changes that should be made after installing an SSD. The most important was the swap file. There was little performance gain and the constant reading and writing was not good for solidstate drives. This was not specific to any drive but for SSD drives in general.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:51 PM

Good job on the SSD, best way to go and even the EVO samsungs are among the best drives, only bested a bit by the PRO series drives and a few Intel models.

Glad the prices are better than even a year ago!
Old 11-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
My drive is a Samsung 850 EVO SSD. I read quite a bit at the time and there were a few setting changes that should be made after installing an SSD. The most important was the swap file. There was little performance gain and the constant reading and writing was not good for solid state drives. This was not specific to any drive but for SSD drives in general.
The Lost Bears.......Thanks for the tip about Windows swap files. I don't use swap files so one less thing to worry about.