AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 PM

The Magneplanar MG-1.7 is NOT a true ribbon speaker. It is a quasi-ribbon speaker. This means the wires on the Mylar are flat not round. It is still a planar magnetic speaker as the woofers are for all Magnepans. The move to flat wires over the round wires probably improves control of the Mylar by the amp/magnets.

The true ribbon drivers in Magneplanars are aluminum foil held in a metal frame with magnets on the sides. The aluminum does the 'talking'.

That linked review/description has spread some errors through the boards.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:06 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
The Magneplanar MG-1.7 is NOT a true ribbon speaker. It is a quasi-ribbon speaker.

That linked review/description has spread some errors through the boards.
In the current issue (June/July issue 203) of The Absolute Sound, in his Golden Ear selections, Jonathan Valin says that the MG 1.7 is a quasi-ribbon speaker. Mark, what is the problem?

In the blog I referred to in my earlier post, Valin calls all of the drivers quasi-ribbon:

Quote:
Thus, the 1.7--Maggie's first "all-ribbon" (well, actually, all-quasi-ribbon) floorstander with quasi-ribbon bass, quasi-ribbon mid/tweet, quasi-ribbon super-tweeter, improved crossover (with higher-quality parts), and all-aluminum frame--was big news, especially considering that it costs a mere $100 more than the speaker it was replacing.
Does the fact that it is a quasi-ribbon rather than a true ribbon speaker somehow make the speaker sound not as good?

I've owned 6 or 7 pairs of Magnepan speakers and all of them were show-stoppers, incredibly good sounding speakers. I don't think I've never listened to an "all true ribbon" speaker, so I really don't know.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 05-08-2010, 04:12 PM

I don't have a problem with it being called a quasi-ribbon. I have a problem with stating it is an "all-ribbon" speaker with a parenthetical mention that it is actually a quasi-ribbon.

Quote:
Thus, the 1.7--Maggie's first "all-ribbon" (well, actually, all-quasi-ribbon)
There is a big difference between these two. One uses Mylar to produce the sound driven by the magnetic motor of flat wire (quasi-ribbons) and a magnetic field while the other is a true ribbon producing the sound.

With Magneplanar producing speakers with quasi-ribbons and true ribbons, I would think that they would appreciate an accurate description of their product to help the consumer avoid the confusion.

Sure it makes a fancy introduction but it allows misinterpretation which can spread misinformation.

Last edited by Mark J; 05-08-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Just heard the 1.7's yesterday and while they are good, I'd say the diff is not all that much better. As we in the audio press always need to be screaming "new and improved" to sell products, I'd say they are certainly evolutionary, but not revolutionary.

I've got a pair of 1.6's that I had Sean at Skiing Ninja rebuild the crossovers. For my $$ this was a much better upgrade, as to me the weak link in the Maggies is not the panel, it's the cheap parts used in the crossovers. Once we got that out of the way, we were both blown away by how good the 1.6 is.

For my money, I'd go with a pair of 1.6's with upgraded crossovers over the 1.7. If I was starting at zero and no desire to mod anything (which I'm usually not), the 1.7's are excellent and certainly a step up from the stock 1.6.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
I don't have a problem with it being called a quasi-ribbon. I have a problem with stating it is an "all-ribbon" speaker with a parenthetical mention that it is actually a quasi-ribbon.

There is a big difference between these two. One uses Mylar to produce the sound driven by the magnetic motor of flat wire (quasi-ribbons) and a magnetic field while the other is a true ribbon producing the sound.

With Magneplanar producing speakers with quasi-ribbons and true ribbons, I would think that they would appreciate an accurate description of their product to help the consumer avoid the confusion.

Sure it makes a fancy introduction but it allows misinterpretation which can spread misinformation.
Mark, I'm sure you are correct, but I think it worthy of note that Magnepan, the manufacturer of the speaker, headlines its own advertisement for the 1.7 as:

The First Full Range Ribbon Speaker from Magnepan

And, further down in the ad, Magnepan states:

"The 1.7 is a departure from Magnepan's 40 year history of using planar magnetic drivers for the bass or lower midrange. The use of quasi ribbon technology down into the lower midrange and bass provides a new level of coherence."

"The 1.7 also boasts a quasi ribbon super tweeter with a wider "sweet spot" and a step closer to the delicacy and detail of Magnepan's true ribbon design."

This is a Magnepan Incorporated advertisement that appears on page 47 in the March 2010 issue (Issue 201) of The Absolute Sound.

Now, Mark J. I find it difficult to argue with the manufacturer on their terminology, since they were easily one of the first to implement planar technology in their speakers, some 40 years ago. And, I guess they can call their new products whatever they want to.

Obviously, Mr. Valin stated exactly the information that Magnepan (Magneplanar) had furnished relative to the description of their product. Therefore his was an "accurate description" and should not cause confusion.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 PM
McKlipschead

I stopped into Audio Labs Saturday and had a brief listen to the 1.7's. The speakers were brand new and in need of considerable break-in time, percussion sounded kind of tight, bass lacked extension, but they were still a pleasure to listen to. I noticed that their 20-watt Rogue amp was clipping which didn't help the audition. will definitely go back for another session with the 1.7's in a few weeks... Their Cayin tube gear looked and sounded pretty impressive with their other Maggies, not sure why the small Rogue was being used?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:22 PM

I've never heard a tube amp with enough juice to drive magnepans...
Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
I've never heard a tube amp with enough juice to drive magnepans...
One local dealer only runs Magnepan's with tube gear, Audio Research. He doesn't have much choice since that is just about the only amp line he carries. They sound pretty good driving 20.1's 3.6's and 1.6's and I am not a tube fan at all.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:59 PM

It would take someone of my advancing age to remember, but Magneplanar (Magnepan) speakers were originally designed especially to work with Audio Research tubed equipment.

I don't remember the details but recall that Jim Winey, the inventor or Magneplanar speakers and the long-time owner of Magnepan, and William Z. Johnson, the founder/head of Audio Research had some sort of interrelationship, or maybe a business relationship and worked closely together in the design of their respective products.

At any rate, Magnepan speakers and tubed electronics have a long history, dating back at least to the mid 70's.

Magneplanar Tympani (and later versions of Magnepan) speakers and Audio Research tubed amps were, and are a match made in heaven.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:14 PM

Audio Research actually had some distribution/sales relationship with Magnepan for the Tympani if I remember correctly. Frankly, a good tube amp with an autoformer with a 4 ohm tap should work well with Magnepans. They like power, but it needs to be stable into a 4 ohm load.