AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 07-24-2009, 06:30 PM

Default Dedicated Video only

O.K. I'll be setting up a video only room and have some ?'s. I know you guys and gals will help me spend my money.
I can leave my Mac amps and B&W's as my Main MUSIC only listening room OR move those to my VIDEO only room.

Not sure If Ill relocate my HTM2D or buy diff. speakers. I was thinking of purchasing smaller size speakers but using 10ch to fill the room with a sub of course.

I could buy a Denon 10ch amp with matching Pre (around $12,000) Still need speakers. I'm really torn here. My 1st option was to purchase Mc pre-amp and move my MX-136 into the theater room. I prefer to keep everything matching, all Mc, Denon, or whatever amps and all matching speakers.
Is it best to have casket size speakers with a 5.1 design or use smaller but more speakers in a 10.1ch design (this may cause controversy). I want the room to feel surrounded like a movie theater (don't we all). Has anyone tried 10 speakers and compared them in a movie only environment?
I guess my last option is to move ALL my amps and speakers to my movie room and use 2ch. remaining from my MC205 for music listening but I don't think Ill be as happy compared to my MC501's. I don't want to sacrifice my 2ch Music or Video. I guess I want the best of both in separate rooms. I've read other posts but that just leaves me second guessing, I don't want an impulse purchase and regret it later. If you had your say.. top 3 best video only processors what you buy? At 1st I was leaning toward the Denon AVP/POA option, they dropped in price quite alot. OR am I looking at this wrong, do I need to spend $40,000+ (speaker and amps) to have a great sounding theater room, same effort as a music room. See, here I go again, over thinking in circles. I look forward to your replies. Reading more review.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Listener in Training

Your gear sounds like it's the video only room already; is the 10.1 really worth it? If you're going to spend $40k+, get two more 501s, a C500 and 800ds, Wilson, SF, PMC or other speakers along with whichever source(s) are best. This assumes you're OK with stereo for music. You keep 'brand integrity' and have two top-notch systems.

Are you unhappy with your current system? What's lacking (oh man, this could hurt since we have virtually the same ) Actually, part of the reason for the suggestion above is its something I've considered down the road. The thinking was have a great setup that's both musical in both stereo and 5.1. One area we seem to emphasize differently is that the movie experience seems to be much less important to me.

Tell us more about the rooms and post some pictures. With Howie and Ivan's rooms being built out, everyone needs to pitch in with another project!
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 PM

I think your current gear should be the basis for any HT. You could buy a 303 amp and move two of your 501's to be that basis for a 2-channel system. Then pick up a good pre or temporarily run then with a MCD-500. Then pick up some speakers.
Just my opinion.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:16 AM

If you have the MX136 and a pair of 501's all you need is a 303 like Jim said and you have a nice 5.1 theater. Try this first, you can always find another pair of 501's to use with a MCD500 or/ and add another pre amp later to build a nice 2 channel set up. Personally I have been using a older powerful receiver (http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/23/) to power my home theater and it sounds fine. I reserve the Mcintosh for my 2 channel set up.

Last edited by 1KW; 07-25-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:34 PM

Maybe I am looking at this backwards. I already have a great video system. Another amp for my 2ch audio room and Ill be set. Except Speakers. Ill need my B&W802D's for music, so should I buy 2-4 more bookshelf speakers for my theater room? I could place 4-6 805's or similar less expensive and my HTM2D (center) speaker. In YOUR opinions, whatcha think? 2 Large speakers or multiple smaller ones to fill the room.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Listener in Training

Auditioning is key. You should listen to the 803 and 804 models as well for front speakers in the video room if you're looking for a matched (i.e., same brand) set, as you should. Have you auditioned other speakers yet? One alternative, if you've the money, is to have another brand of speakers in the 2-channel setup, but that depends on your tastes and usage of two systems. Are the 802s your favorites for stereo listening? Then stick with them and get an 805/804/803 for the theater. If not, you can still play stereo in the theater on the 802s and something else 'different' as opposed to 'better' or 'worse' in your stereo room. Just a thought.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM

Ya, your right 80B, guess im over complicating things in my head. I really like the Wilson Sasha's just wish they were in the same price range as the 802d's. Between the Sophia and 802d's, I preferred the 802d. A pair of Sasha's for 2ch. would be great, but our company like many others is cutting positions and relocating employees. I don't want a large purchase to bite me. For now, it may be best to use both speakers for both audio and video.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:03 PM

Have you considered a Meridian System?

I am setting up a 5 channel (no sub yet) system with two large front left and right (DSP8000), one slightly smaller centre speaker (DSP7000) and two bookshelf rear l&r speakers (DSP3100s).

In terms of sound for a theatre, it is the absolute bee's knees and there is not an amp in sight!

howie
Old 07-27-2009, 05:28 PM

I located a local dealer to audition the speakers. No DSP8000's in stock, I'll have to listen to the DSP5200/DSP5500.