AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Tell her they are 1’s and even cost less; might as well be the Hero.
Hey Ivan--that second Fathom showed up today. Had time to get it set up, connected to the other one and run a quick calibration on it before Mrs Moonhawk got home. She hasn't noticed them yet.

Thanks again. I my be talking to you again sooner or later.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:03 PM

I have had a pair of Sopra No2's since they first came out, and if I had the choice you'd been presented, I'd let them ship the No3's in a heartbeat.

When I bought my No2's, being "empty nesters" my wife recommended that I move my system down from the living room to the family room, not sure if such a move is a choice for you, if it is, would be "good" in Mrs. Moonhawk's eyes, but that worked for us.

BTW, when you finally get the Fathoms integrated with the Sopra's, you may believe that you've "died and gone to heaven"...I have a pair of F113V2's with my Sopra's...

Enjoy those new speakers! BTW, they will just sound better and better over time, mine really "settled down" after about six months.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 04-03-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
I have had a pair of Sopra No2's since they first came out, and if I had the choice you'd been presented, I'd let them ship the No3's in a heartbeat.

When I bought my No2's, being "empty nesters" my wife recommended that I move my system down from the living room to the family room, not sure if such a move is a choice for you, if it is, would be "good" in Mrs. Moonhawk's eyes, but that worked for us.

BTW, when you finally get the Fathoms integrated with the Sopra's, you may believe that you've "died and gone to heaven"...I have a pair of F113V2's with my Sopra's...

Enjoy those new speakers! BTW, they will just sound better and better over time, mine really "settled down" after about six months.
Thanks! I ordered the 3s this morning--should have them next week--another factor in favor of them over the 2s. I would have had to wait 4-6 weeks for the 2s.

Meanwhile we'll be going on an extended road trip--3-4 weeks. So, I'll be able to keep them playing the whole time I'm gone, which should break them in pretty well.

As for another room to set them up in, I'd have to convert my wood shop, which has been a labor of love for the last 18 years, so that probably won't happen.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:50 PM

Well, I got my No3s on Monday and brought them home and upstairs with a little able-bodied help. Have had them hooked up since then, probably about 25-30 hours on them so far. They sound great, lots of punch and clarity, but I have a lot of tweaking to do and need to get a lot more hours on them.

So far, Mrs Moonhawk hasn't said much--I think she's resigned to these big beauties, so all is well so far.

We're going away for almost a month, and I plan to leave them playing something the whole time. Hopefully that will break them in. Is there any reason that's not a good idea? They'll be set at a very modest volume.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:02 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
.... Is there any reason that's not a good idea? They'll be set at a very modest volume.

Lightning storms?????
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-21-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Lightning storms?????
There's that--but have pretty good protection--Bryston BIT-20 series mode surge protector/conditioner--and good homeowner's insurance.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
There's that--but have pretty good protection--Bryston BIT-20 series mode surge protector/conditioner--and good homeowner's insurance.

According to the experts, nothing you have will protect your electronics if your home is hit with lightning. Patience and a good homeowners policy are your only friends.

Then again, what’s the probability?
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-21-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
According to the experts, nothing you have will protect your electronics if your home is hit with lightning. Patience and a good homeowners policy are your only friends.

Then again, what’s the probability?

This is absolutely true… It’s nearly impossible to prevent damage from a direct lightning hit. However, don’t confuse a whole house surge suppressor with “lightning” protection. A surge suppressor helps mitigate surges caused by distant lightning strikes as well as other surges/ problems delivered to your home via power lines.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:52 PM

You will enjoy them. Let us know your opinions as you break and dial them in.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 04-21-2018, 11:59 PM

Thanks, guys. Lightning storms are frequent and severe here in New Mexico--second only to Florida I believe, but mainly in the late July/August "Monsoon" season. Not so much this time if year.