AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea music View Post
If you can try Tidal premium maybe even on a trial basis that may help. The Aurender
is really set up for Tidal. Also don’t know how airplay affects the sq but a direct usb streaming Tidal should sound cd quality. My N100H keeps up with Sacd played from my Mct450. It sounds like a connection issue.
Yes, I forgot to mention. The Aurender is connected to my Tidal Hi-Fi account and the sound quality is much better than Spotify. This is to be expected of course if not just for the fact that Spotify compresses the files. The MB50 sounded much better when playing Spotify though which I just don't get. Same network but different cables, the MB50 was connected using Toslink and not USB.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
That is so interesting that you liked the MB50 more than the Aurender............it must be those green lights..........right!

Ron
Haha, I have to say, the lights definitely put me in the right mood... but... it did sound better!
I would have kept it if it were not for the shi***y PlayFi app and lack of display.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM

You're finding out, as I did, that digital audio can be frustrating when trying to find the perfect do-all component. I guess it's not much different than any other component in this hobby except for its operational and functional quirks. Every streamer I've tried at home or auditioned at dealers revealed compromises in one area or another. We just have to prioritize our personal requirements and find one that gets close to those priorities. I too, wasn't impressed with the Aurender N100H overall sound quality. I think it might have something to do with its USB output. Being limited to USB at its price point also turned me off, and moving to the $5,500 A10 to get analog outputs was out of the question.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
You're finding out, as I did, that digital audio can be frustrating when trying to find the perfect do-all component. I guess it's not much different than any other component in this hobby except for its operational and functional quirks. Every streamer I've tried at home or auditioned at dealers revealed compromises in one area or another. We just have to prioritize our personal requirements and find one that gets close to those priorities. I too, wasn't impressed with the Aurender N100H overall sound quality. I think it might have something to do with its USB output. Being limited to USB at its price point also turned me off, and moving to the $5,500 A10 to get analog outputs was out of the question.
I am starting to realize it now. Each streamer out there does something better than the other. It is very difficult to choose the "right" one, or define which one is the "jack of all trades".
I find it very difficult to understand why the MB50 produced exceptional sound quality on Spotify where the Aurender is mediocre and starts shining only when playing Tidal.

Is there any other streamer/bridge (I don't need a DAC) that I should consider?

One other thing that I am planning to do, is connect the Aurender directly to the Oppo205 DAC and use it instead of the DAC in the 2600 and hear what it sounds like. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM

Running it through your Oppo would be worth a try but I doubt it will be better than your preamp's DAC. If I was still searching, I'd give the NAD 50.2 a try. It's packed with features including CD ripping and 2TB of internal storage. The only downside to me without hearing it is its $3999 price tag. Here's the product link. Keep us updated on your continued search.
https://nadelectronics.com/product/m...-music-player/

Last edited by jayvis; 02-01-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
Running it through your Oppo would be worth a try but I doubt it will be better than your preamp's DAC. If I was still searching, I'd give the NAD 50.2 a try. It's packed with features including CD ripping and 2TB of internal storage. The only downside to me without hearing it is its $3999 price tag. Here's the product link. Keep us updated on your continued search.
https://nadelectronics.com/product/m...-music-player/
Thanks Jayvis. I just looked at it. I really don't need internal storage as I just built my own NAS and have 12TB ready.
I saw that Aurender has a model called N100C, which adds Toslink and Coax to the USB out, maybe it makes a difference in sound quality, not sure. Also I can only find the N100H for sale.

What other options should I be looking at? What about Cambridge Audio Azur 851N?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:57 AM

Did you hear a OPPO Sonica yet?
I wanted to audition the MB100 and I haven't been allowed since the dealer dislikes it.
I heard the Aurender A10 and wasn't a fan, it too sounded flat but I dismissed it since there are too many variables. Since you think that the N100H sounds flat I'm concerned it's the house sound lol. Too many people here love it so I'm just kidding. I still want to try the N10 but I'm too apprehensive to buy without a demo, especially now.

I was a big fan of the Aurender App, I had big concerns but 1 minute with the Ipad app and I realize it's very good.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Did you hear a OPPO Sonica yet?
I wanted to audition the MB100 and I haven't been allowed since the dealer dislikes it.
I heard the Aurender A10 and wasn't a fan, it too sounded flat but I dismissed it since there are too many variables. Since you think that the N100H sounds flat I'm concerned it's the house sound lol. Too many people here love it so I'm just kidding. I still want to try the N10 but I'm too apprehensive to buy without a demo, especially now.

I was a big fan of the Aurender App, I had big concerns but 1 minute with the Ipad app and I realize it's very good.
Hey Mouse,

The problem with the Oppo Sonica is that you have to use its DAC. There are no optical out. Since I want to use the DAC in my C2600 which I believe is superior, I took it out of the list. Also, I own the Oppo 205 which I believe utilizes the same DAC as the Sonica, I am planning on trying to run the Aurender through the 205 and see what happens.

You are right, the Aurender app is excellent, makes it quite easy to manage the internal storage, Tidal and any external storage/NAS you may have. I just can't get over how flat the sound is, I am not excited by it at all, it doesn't make me just want to listen all the time like the MB50 did.
But then again, the MB50 was so problematic around connection issues that I just could not work with it anymore.

I am really curious about the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, it looks interesting on paper, it's about half the price of the Aurender (why?) and I wonder how it sounds.

Last edited by Killergurt; 02-02-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 AM

Default Aurender N100H and McIntosh - Good Pair?

I use NAS to store all my music, so I did not want to buy an expensive streamer with builtin storage. I also needed a good DAC, because all mine were pretty outdated. I ended up with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge 2 streamer. Cannot be more happier with them. Simple streamer but it’s all I need with Roon, and the sound is so good. I connect the DAC to my C2300 preamp.

Last edited by SAPHANA; 02-02-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Thanks Jayvis. I just looked at it. I really don't need internal storage as I just built my own NAS and have 12TB ready.
I saw that Aurender has a model called N100C, which adds Toslink and Coax to the USB out, maybe it makes a difference in sound quality, not sure. Also I can only find the N100H for sale.

What other options should I be looking at? What about Cambridge Audio Azur 851N?
The Cambridge Azur 851N is definitely worth your while investigating. I found it to have very good sound quality and great connectivity options. It was hard to distinguish it from the MB50 when run through my C47's DAC and although not quite as good as the MB50, it maintained a pretty good Wi-Fi signal. Really, the main reasons I chose the MB50 over the 851N were aesthetic integration in my system (I like a one brand system), McIntosh is made in USA, and future consideration for Play-Fi speakers in other rooms of our home. If none of that is important to you and if its operation meets your needs, the 851N is a genuine bargain in my opinion.